Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The Apprentice ~ Not Fair ......

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2005, 10:43 AM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Apprentice ~ Not Fair ......

They or rather HE got rid of Miriam last night. I think Mr or CUR Sugar made uno biggo mistake there.
She did a sterling job with those two twerps wittering away in her ear .
With all due respect, I think Mr or CUR Sugar, was working with that wonderful commodity "hindsight". Considering the team had probably never had any such experience before.
Interesting to see that Sugar's two sidekicks were in disagreement with his descision too.
BTW I'm a female of the species so there's nothing in this about totty or such like either. I am looking at the pure merits of the poeple involved.
Old 21 April 2005, 10:45 AM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he's only keeping the two idiots on so it makes for good tv !!
Old 21 April 2005, 10:47 AM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

She WAS good TV, even the producer of the prog said so. I stand by my opinion that Mr S cooked up this time.
Old 21 April 2005, 10:53 AM
Robert Rosario
Scooby Regular

Cant agree. She was okay, but her big mistake in his eyes was not making enough of a statement on her own effectiveness. She did nothing wrong, but then again did not exactly do much right either, and she messed up the farmer's market task a couple of weeks ago by buying all that cheese, and was lucky to get away with it.

Paul is by far the most entertaining, charismatic and has the most energy, but his temper lets him down. Also Sugar sees himself in him more than any of the others, but my bet to win is Tim.
Old 21 April 2005, 10:53 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

is that *still* going?
Old 21 April 2005, 11:07 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Well I agree that firing Miriam was the wrong choice.

As team leader, these people are always going to be in the firing line for the mistakes or poor performance of others. Sometimes it seems a bit like luck-of-the-draw as to which element Alan Sugar is going to pick on as the "fatal mistake".

Usually he gets it right, but I don't think so in this case.

In this task, with hindsight, Miriam could/should have pre-arranged which of her fellow team mates (Paul and Tim) was going to speak in her ear piece during the slot, rather than having both do it. She didn't, so this WAS a mistake.

However, it wasn't that big a mistake and I don't think it contributed that much to them losing the task.

More likely it was down to the products and it goes to show, there's no accounting for the taste of people buying from shopping channels!

If you had to rank all five of the apprentices for their performance in the task, Miriam should have come out top.

Instead she was fired - oh well..

Good show though. I don't generally like reality TV, but this one's an exception.

Last edited by RichS; 21 April 2005 at 11:12 AM.
Old 21 April 2005, 11:10 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

PS - agree that Paul is the most entertaining to watch, and this is TV afterall, but would you want him working for you? You can guarantee that any fxxx-ups won't be his fault
Old 21 April 2005, 11:14 AM
Krade
Scooby Regular

Miriam is a great people person, but thats not Sugar is looking for. SHe doesn't have the ***** for big busiiness, shes not brassey and tough enough to survie in the business world at that level.

Paul is great but I think in the end Sugar will think he's too impeteous and not really suited to the job, tim is a bit too laid back for me. Siarah should have gone last week but she'll be one of the finalist I reckon.

James just seems to be going with the flow and loving every minute of it

BTW my wolf print coat and sleepEZ matress were great

Last edited by Krade; 21 April 2005 at 11:17 AM.
Old 21 April 2005, 11:27 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

LOL

Can't argue with the points you made though.
Old 21 April 2005, 11:29 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Quite an entertaining show, perhaps a little unfair mims had to go but thats life! To be honest she's gobby , arrogant and annoying but saira is my choice to win, everytime they are in a corner she gets her team out of it. Even last night asking the right questions about the products something the other team didnt even bother to do! As for the others-

Tim - at the start I would have said he was one of the favourites, now not sure, not enough *****, cant say anything bad about anyone.

Paul - His ability is much lower than he thinks it is, can be quite a charming but yes too temperamental and has made fxxk ups despite his comments last night

James - All round good guy but not a very good direct sales person but could be in with a shout

All IMHO of course
Old 21 April 2005, 11:38 AM
gso
Scooby Regular

I thought that was a bit weird how he fired her after going on at Paul and Tim (esp. Paul). I thought to myself...shes clear...then she goes...LOL

I thought after the trick tim and Paul pulled with Saira, one of them were defo going....but no...
Old 21 April 2005, 11:41 AM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Saira speaks to people in the same way I speak to the French, slowly & loudly. It's fine in Europe, but is rude, annoying & condesending here. She's a person you can't warm to, would you buy from her & hold her in any esteem ? She won't win.
Paul & Tim were more interested in attempting to stitch Saira up, than selecting decent products & lost sight of the task. What Miriam did last night had nothing to do with her being shot, her fate had been sealed previously with the cheese buying incident.

D
Old 21 April 2005, 11:54 AM
Krade
Scooby Regular

I think it'll come down to Siara and James, Siara is too one dimensional and loud all she can do is sell, and even then it seems to be more a case of bullying or patronisng the customer into buying, again like Miriam she doesnt have the jack of all trades skills that I think Sugar is looking for.

James will prob end up winning, he's knows his way around finance and is a nice amiable guy, gets on with everyone, the only thing I think is maybe He's too nice.
Old 21 April 2005, 12:01 PM
deano
Scooby Regular

Miriam has great ****.
Old 21 April 2005, 12:16 PM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

Sugar cannot be wrong to fire Miriam - he is looking for what he wants and not necessarily who wins or loses each task. Who knows what he wants - obviously Paul has alot of it as he said last night.

Saira is a condescending idiot. I dont think she has pulled any team out of trouble - last week she was totally useless. She lies all the time (but that's the game to a certain degree) but I just cannot stand her. He patronising tone when talking to people is awful. For me she should have gone when they did the art sale - he pitch to the artist they wanted was cringe worthy and so lacking in common sense it was amazing.

Tim isnt as ballsy as i thought he would be. But then James just isnt the kind of guy Sugar wants from what I can understand.

Overall Paul seems best suited IMHO.
Old 21 April 2005, 12:31 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

you are having a laugh !paul , he should have been fired weeks ago , he blames everyone but himself for every loss , good tv, but apprentice hmmmmmm ??
Old 21 April 2005, 12:40 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

"Not fair"??

As Sir Alan said himself last night, what is FAIR about business
Old 21 April 2005, 12:45 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know when the show was recorded - last summer?
Looks like there's going to be a live final which means 2 or 3 of them have been in limbo since then!!
Old 21 April 2005, 12:50 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

I heard he's had the last 4 working for him for the last couple of months, hence no leak about who'll win as he hasn't decided yet & all be revealed at the final !

D
Old 21 April 2005, 02:57 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

I find it very interesting watching how the various people inter-react, not only the candidates but with those that they come into contact with.
I think Miriam was unfortunate and her departure had more to do with interesting television and Sir Alan Sugar's strategic intentions.
I would have sacked that Saira long ago and I also felt that the blond girl that was sacked after acting as "PA" for Saira (flower selling?)was badly treated.
I think the winner will have more to do with what Sir Alan expects from them and what he thinks will fit in than with their actual managerial abilities.
Old 21 April 2005, 03:06 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Miriam has great ****.
Can't argue with that......... She did have a right pair.......

Still don't think she should have gone - TBH none of them did crap last nite - its going to get harder & harder now....

I reckon Saira will go next week (tough interviews), as in the trails she's getting a roasting for being a gobby ****e again.

p.s CORNER!

Last edited by Dr Hu; 21 April 2005 at 03:08 PM.
Old 21 April 2005, 04:24 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Imlach....you spotted it ..... NOT FAIR !
I loved that in the prog .
I thought from last night's trailer that next week's is the last. They are all up for THE interview. That'll sort out the men from the boys/ ladies.
I do wonder after reading some of the above comments, just how much Sugar is playing this for "good TV" and how much is geared up to choosing the right person as apprentice, ie. How many applicants have just been cannon fodder ?
Old 21 April 2005, 09:24 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Very unfair to sack the presenter for the producers' shortcomings. She had SO much on HER plate compared to those cocky two's double act backstage. She did it UNBELIEVABLY WELL - particularly with the inane arguments going on in her ear - I am gobsmacked with her HOUR live performance! Team leader or not the presenter can't produce.

Now Saira deserved sacking for shouting down the presenters ear full stop - she would have in the REAL world. Zero empathy or understanding that condescending woman. She's great for telly though!

No winners left there in my book - Miriam was the closest - the remainder are too flawed in key areas.
Old 22 April 2005, 12:03 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Remember, this is TV.

Seeing Mr Sugar enthuse about Miriam all through the programme meant that she was going to be up for the fall. That's how the programme has been up until now - maximum exposure has been for the failing team/player.

Remember, this is TV.

I suspect Mr Sugar has decided on who he likes a long time ago, and agreed a stratregy with the tv producers.

Remember, this is TV.

As Mr Sugar said, it's not about who we like, it's about who HE likes, and what's good for his business.

Remember, this is TV.
Old 22 April 2005, 09:48 AM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Imlach....is this TV ?
Old 22 April 2005, 10:17 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

This may indeed be TV but producers have responsibilities as well as plans - trust me there's nothing worse than having meetings with an agrieved contestant's lawyers about why they didnt win the house and there being a glimmer of a case in that too

I'm just opening a hotel with Miriam now anyway so I'll get her to logon here
Old 22 April 2005, 10:42 AM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

If all these contestants are such great talents and claim as such on their CVs why would they want to work for someone else? Surely they'd make more money working for themselves?