Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Question for you Parents............

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2005, 03:06 PM
MOK79
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for you Parents............

Guys and Gals.

Bit of question for you parents out there.....

My Little boy, who is 11 months has just got out of hospital AGAIN today. It all started back in October when he got a chest infection. He was in hospital overnight, while having nebulizers, because he was sounding really wheezy. Anyway since then he has been in and out god knows how many times. He will get a little runny nose on one day and by the following day he will be in hospital having these nebulizers. It all happens so quick.

The doctors never say anything about what it could be. Sometimes they mention asthma but to me it doesn't sound like it is. (Being a sufferer myself) It sounds a very wet wheeze if that makes sense not dry like I would associate with asthma.

Has any of you had any experiences like this with your littluns, does anyone know what it could be ????

Its just so frustrating feeling so helpless when your little boy is suffering big time.
Old 20 April 2005, 03:08 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

not a parent myself but just a thought, your house doesnt suffer from damp or you get alot of condensation on your windows etc? the misses sister had a kid not so long ago and theyve noticed a BIG difference in little things by getting a dehumidifier in the house.... just a thought.
Old 20 April 2005, 03:12 PM
MOK79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
not a parent myself but just a thought, your house doesnt suffer from damp or you get alot of condensation on your windows etc? the misses sister had a kid not so long ago and theyve noticed a BIG difference in little things by getting a dehumidifier in the house.... just a thought.
not really. Although the tumble dryer goes on sometimes and makes downstairs a bit condensationy ?

Good point Dave thanx for that.....
Old 20 April 2005, 03:17 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I'd be inclined to ask the doctors more firmly for a diagnosis. Asking on here is rather like entering a few words in to an online Medical Encyclopedia. You will get suggestions of everything from common cold, through MRSA to cancer and back again. It's likely to leave you more worried than you already are. Ask the professionals that are treating your child.
Old 20 April 2005, 03:21 PM
MOK79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
I'd be inclined to ask the doctors more firmly for a diagnosis. Asking on here is rather like entering a few words in to an online Medical Encyclopedia. You will get suggestions of everything from common cold, through MRSA to cancer and back again. It's likely to leave you more worried than you already are. Ask the professionals that are treating your child.
The problem is they never fecking answer. I have asked so many times, told them to find out. But nothing ever comes of it. Its just so frustrating.

Its handy to know what other parents have experienced, for exampl, Daves' point above is very useful. And there could be many others as well..
Old 20 April 2005, 03:29 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MOK79
The problem is they never fecking answer. I have asked so many times, told them to find out. But nothing ever comes of it. Its just so frustrating.

Its handy to know what other parents have experienced, for exampl, Daves' point above is very useful. And there could be many others as well..
I appreciate the fustration. I am just concerned that without a professional diagnosis, you may be tempted to start "trying things". Following Dave's advice you may go out and spend a few quid on a de-humidifer for example. Having done that, 1 of 3 things will happen:
1) Things get better
2) Things stay the same
3) Things get worse

If point 1, great, but you can't sure it was the action you took, it could (and often is) coincidence.

If point 2, you have moved no further forward but have wasted your money.

If point 3, you are going to feel as guilty as hell, although as for point 1 it may have nothing to do with the action you took.

By all means listen to others, but more importantly, push the professionals, ask for a second opinion, whatever it takes. Once you KNOW what it is, you can start looking for a cure or things that ellivate the symptoms, to try and effect a cure without knowing what the problem is can be expensive, dangerous and counter productive.

Sorry if that all seems harsh, but I've read too many stories of people doing their own thing or trying wack job remedies rather than seek professional help and invariably they end up much worse off than they started.
Old 20 April 2005, 03:35 PM
MOK79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
I appreciate the fustration. I am just concerned that without a professional diagnosis, you may be tempted to start "trying things". Following Dave's advice you may go out and spend a few quid on a de-humidifer for example. Having done that, 1 of 3 things will happen:
1) Things get better
2) Things stay the same
3) Things get worse

If point 1, great, but you can't sure it was the action you took, it could (and often is) coincidence.

If point 2, you have moved no further forward but have wasted your money.

If point 3, you are going to feel as guilty as hell, although as for point 1 it may have nothing to do with the action you took.

By all means listen to others, but more importantly, push the professionals, ask for a second opinion, whatever it takes. Once you KNOW what it is, you can start looking for a cure or things that ellivate the symptoms, to try and effect a cure without knowing what the problem is can be expensive, dangerous and counter productive.

Sorry if that all seems harsh, but I've read too many stories of people doing their own thing or trying wack job remedies rather than seek professional help and invariably they end up much worse off than they started.
I agree 100%. I wouldn't take any action without seeking proper advice first. Like you say it is just far too risky. And with the health not only of my littlun but 3 other sprogs as well, its not worth any possible implications.

I appreciate your concern Olly Thanx.
Old 20 April 2005, 03:36 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

lol.. can I just point out (bit of a disclaimer here ) that my post was not advice in any way it was just a THOUGHT that someone might like to dwell on I will be no way held responsible for any problems caused by the installation of a dehumidifier
Old 20 April 2005, 03:40 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Might be a matter of going through your GP. He/she is probably aware of the visits to hospital but unless you go in there and speak face to face it possibly will not be followed up.
Be a pest. Make a nuisance of yourself. Don't take no or flannel for an answer. Your GP is the first step on the path to discovering just what is the problem. Sadly, we live in an era of having to push for what used to be an automatic response from the experts.
I sincerely wish you all the best,nothing more worrying than a little 'un having repetative illnesses. Good luck.
Yve
Old 20 April 2005, 03:42 PM
MOK79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
lol.. can I just point out (bit of a disclaimer here ) that my post was not advice in any way it was just a THOUGHT that someone might like to dwell on I will be no way held responsible for any problems caused by the installation of a dehumidifier
AHA too late for that now I have it in writing....
Old 20 April 2005, 03:47 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I agree 100%. I wouldn't take any action without seeking proper advice first. Like you say it is just far too risky. And with the health not only of my littlun but 3 other sprogs as well, its not worth any possible implications.

I appreciate your concern Olly Thanx.
Well here's hoping you get to the bottom of it quickly!
Old 20 April 2005, 03:47 PM
MOK79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Apparition
Make a nuisance of yourself.
I'm good at that.

The problem is Yve. Our GP is crap. He was prescribed a couple of inhalers by our GP and told us to give them to him a particular way. Then when in hospital the doctors and nurses asked how he has it and we told them what our GP said. And basically they said "what a load of bo11ox, there's no way the littlun is getting what he needs". Also heard a few stories about him (GP) and basically have lost any faith I had.....
Old 20 April 2005, 04:12 PM
A&E
Scooby Regular

When ours were little, we were told that doctors can't diagnose asthma until after 12 months old - We had the same as you, in and out of hospital like yo-yos with either bronchiolitis or no conclusions, happily they both grew out of it by the time they reached about 3 years old. Like everyone says, the doctors are the only ones who cn give you proper answers! Good Luck
Old 20 April 2005, 04:19 PM
MOK79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by angel-eyes
When ours were little, we were told that doctors can't diagnose asthma until after 12 months old - We had the same as you, in and out of hospital like yo-yos with either bronchiolitis or no conclusions, happily they both grew out of it by the time they reached about 3 years old. Like everyone says, the doctors are the only ones who cn give you proper answers! Good Luck
Thanx Angel-Eyes for your input. Me and the better half were saying last night that the others did have this only not so bad. And they too have just grown out of it by about 2 or 3. Fingers crossed
Old 20 April 2005, 07:55 PM
the moose
Scooby Regular

I'm good at that.

The problem is Yve. Our GP is crap. He was prescribed a couple of inhalers by our GP and told us to give them to him a particular way. Then when in hospital the doctors and nurses asked how he has it and we told them what our GP said. And basically they said "what a load of bo11ox, there's no way the littlun is getting what he needs". Also heard a few stories about him (GP) and basically have lost any faith I had.....
Part of a larger practice? Then get a different doc. Failing that, move practice - you have to be comfortable with your GP.
Old 20 April 2005, 08:11 PM
MOK79
Scooby Regular

Hutton_d that is excellent thanx for the info
Old 20 April 2005, 11:39 PM
lubo
Scooby Regular

agree with angel-eyes was told the same thing about my daughter. She suffered from 5 months old with asthma- sounded like a big load of glut in her throat then eventually progressed 2 being wheezing and coughing day and night. Home nebulisers etc did help but nothing stopped it completely till she reached 4 since then nothing much 2 except a few minor episodes - shes nearly 11. I used to lie in bed with her coughing all night (she seemed to sleep even tho it was disturbed). My GP at the time was crap i relied on instinct.
Old 21 April 2005, 09:13 AM
catherine666
Scooby Regular

Our son had brochilitis (sp?) and needed a nebuliser. This was just a chest infection really, and the wheezing went away.

Antibiotics were prescribed and now he is happier/bouncier than ever.

*HOWEVER* they gave us the nebuliser at home so we didnt need to come in to hospital again.

Originally Posted by hutton_d
In the meantime they say, take these anti-biotics as if it's one problem then this is the way to stop it ... we said no... Sounds a bit like your case - of, we don't know what it is but take this anyway!
I think this is really irresponsible. Its called preventative medicine. You could really have put your boy at risk if it was an infection as it had further days to progress!

Last edited by catherine666; 21 April 2005 at 09:17 AM.
Old 21 April 2005, 11:47 AM
MOK79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by catherine666
I think this is really irresponsible. Its called preventative medicine. You could really have put your boy at risk if it was an infection as it had further days to progress!
The problem is Catherine, I can see where your coming from, but my boy was prescribed anti-inflamatories for something they didn't know what it was. And I actually made the decision not to give them to him. At the time he was 6months and there was no way I was gonna give him these. And then 2 days later he was fine and I remember thinking I was so glad I never gave them to him....
Old 21 April 2005, 11:57 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by catherine666

--snip--
It's irresponsible of the doctors. It's this prescribe anti-biotics for any "unknown" attitude that has given us MSRA. Anti-biotics should be used for treating bacterial infections only. The course should be long enough and strong enough to kill the bacteria in question. You as the patient must take them as directed AND you MUST finish the course.

Bacteria can quite happily share genetical material (by conjugation) with other bacteria of a different strain or type. This is how bacteria can quite rapidly become imune to a drug. Once one has the dna to give it protection, it can share that with other bacteria.
Old 21 April 2005, 11:21 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Seems there's a lot of bad feelings about GPs, they are not my favourite people either but they are the gateway to getting more done by the proper professionals. I talk from personal experience.
And as has been said, if you're not happy with yours, change him/her. They work for you, its your right.