Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rover workers - get some reality

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2005, 07:40 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rover workers - get some reality

Rover - yes, not great news. No-one wants to put someone out of a job.

However, it is a private company. It is not a goverment funded business.

I, and many on here, have been through redundancy. Our site had >500 redundancies in one go, and it is a small site. 10% of the Rover situation. Along the road, Motorola had 3000 redundancies. Not far off the Rover situation. Both had knock on effects on local small businesses that supplied packaging, PCBs, components, etc. Bet you can't remember that on the news. No-one expected the goverment to come and help us pay our mortgages or help feed our children.

However, WHY OH WHY do these Rover workers expect the RIGHT to goverment help with mortgages, and good grief, CAR LOANS!!!

...and on C4 News, one even said "Yes, they should have had the redundancies 5 years ago, because we'd all have new jobs by now". DOH! How stupid can you be? Come back in 5 years, and I suspect today's redundant will be in new employment too.......

I sympathise with redundancy as it's not pleasant, but PLEASE some reality please Rover workers.
Old 15 April 2005, 07:42 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I totally agree! There is sadness for them, but why on earth should they get special treatment over other people who have been made redundant. Ok, so it's a lot of people getting chopped in one-hit, but even still, is there not a welfare system in place to pay out unemployment benefits? Oh, there is? Well, use that then, don't try and force the government to pay out more of *our* money.
Old 15 April 2005, 07:47 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

I have sympathy for the workers but not for the company. If you sell $hite products that people don't want then you won't survive. Lets face it.....Rover's are very poor cars.
Old 15 April 2005, 07:49 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Another thing. How many people live in the UK? 55 million?

5000 redundant is under 0.01% of the population. TINY! Admittedly not 0.01% of the working population, but still tiny. In other words, for 1 Rover worker in this country, there are 9,999 people with jobs outwith Rover. Sounds like an opportunity to find work in another company to me.

You'd think they'd made 20% of the working population redundant they way Labour are splashing out state aid.

Last edited by imlach; 15 April 2005 at 07:52 PM.
Old 15 April 2005, 07:50 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

You'd think they'd made 20% of the working population redundant they way Labour are splashing out state aid.
It's called buying an election using public money.
Old 15 April 2005, 07:52 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

It is shocking that Labour are prepared to throw 150million of taxpayers money at the issue just to secure Labour votes over the situation. Noway that would happen if there wasnt an election coming up.
Old 15 April 2005, 07:54 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

To be fair, Tony is dammed if he does, and dammed if he doesn't on this one.....

No state aid, people don't vote for him.
Give state aid, people get annoyed at him throwing public money at it and don't vote for him.

Lose, lose.
Old 15 April 2005, 08:00 PM
ChungsterSTI
Scooby Regular

I can't even believe SAIC THOUGHT about buying the company or even getting involved with them!

The worse company going ever....sound business logic? You have a 10 year old product that u "re-invent" by chavving it up MaxP stylee. And the latest new product you released? That City Rover thingy....have they sold more than a thousand of those?

Sound business logic means u supply a product that the public wants at a fair price that also allows u to make a profit.

THEY'RE LOSING £20-£25M A MONTH FOR F*CKS SAKE. WHAT SORT OF A COMPANY IS THAT??

Those directos knew what they were doing...milk the cash flow of the company as much as they can via big phat salaries and a £12m pension contribution that no one knows about.

They are the ones that have gained out of this. Did they give a monkeys about Rover? I don't think so.

Last edited by ChungsterSTI; 15 April 2005 at 08:03 PM.
Old 15 April 2005, 08:05 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course, Rover waited until the Election was announced to try and force a rescue package!!

And of course, Labour HAS to step in and bail them out .... to do nothing would be suicide!!

Its only a promise of money ...... don't worry, when Labour get in it will vanish right up the Tories backside

This will only cost the taxpayer the amount of money it takes to gain power .... stop getting concerned

Before you say anything against Labour ............ all the parties would do the SAME!

Pete
Old 15 April 2005, 09:09 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis

Before you say anything against Labour ............ all the parties would do the SAME!

Pete
No they would'nt.Any goverment worth their salt would have the ***** not to support a company that has and will continue to lose millions of pounds month after month.

Thats why Maggie shut the mines. Dont know whether youve noticed but the UK uses very little coal compared to 30, 40 50 years ago. So why keep on producing it.

Same with Rover.Unions ran it for too long (Red Robbo), workers out on strike at every opportunity,very poor car sales, lack of investment,no new products at all.

Shut it down.Yes it'll hurt a lot of people but sometimes you just have to move on.

Chip
Old 15 April 2005, 09:12 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Before you say anything against Labour ............ all the parties would do the SAME!Pete
Stop talking bull$hit to$$er
Old 15 April 2005, 09:13 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

I see theyre calling for it to be nationalised.What a bloody joke that would be.

Chip
Old 15 April 2005, 09:15 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Chip
No they would'nt.Any goverment worth their salt would have the ***** not to support a company that has and will continue to lose millions of pounds month after month.

Thats why Maggie shut the mines. Dont know whether youve noticed but the UK uses very little coal compared to 30, 40 50 years ago. So why keep on producing it.

Same with Rover.Unions ran it for too long (Red Robbo), workers out on strike at every opportunity,very poor car sales, lack of investment,no new products at all.

Shut it down.Yes it'll hurt a lot of people but sometimes you just have to move on.Chip
Precisely Chip!
Old 15 April 2005, 09:16 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
I see theyre calling for it to be nationalised.What a bloody joke that would be.

Chip
Don't "they" say "the old jokes are the best jokes"?

In this case on us.
Old 15 April 2005, 09:55 PM
Mr Scoob
Scooby Regular

Angry

I like many others have been made redundant in the past. There was no hand out of public money for me or my colleagues. Apparently Rover workers are going to get £150m of our money, it is an absolute disgrace. Labour might gain the votes or 6000 Rover workers but will hopefully lose many more.
Old 15 April 2005, 10:57 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

What a total waste of tax payers money.
Old 15 April 2005, 11:19 PM
The_Gza
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by imlach
Rover - yes, not great news. No-one wants to put someone out of a job.

However, it is a private company. It is not a goverment funded business.

I, and many on here, have been through redundancy. Our site had >500 redundancies in one go, and it is a small site. 10% of the Rover situation. Along the road, Motorola had 3000 redundancies. Not far off the Rover situation. Both had knock on effects on local small businesses that supplied packaging, PCBs, components, etc. Bet you can't remember that on the news. No-one expected the goverment to come and help us pay our mortgages or help feed our children.

However, WHY OH WHY do these Rover workers expect the RIGHT to goverment help with mortgages, and good grief, CAR LOANS!!!

...and on C4 News, one even said "Yes, they should have had the redundancies 5 years ago, because we'd all have new jobs by now". DOH! How stupid can you be? Come back in 5 years, and I suspect today's redundant will be in new employment too.......

I sympathise with redundancy as it's not pleasant, but PLEASE some reality please Rover workers.
Entirely agree - my brother was one of those affected by the Motorola redundancies you mention and he certainly didn't expect the government to help him out. The whole situation is certainly sad, but no worse than many other people face day in, day out across the rest of the UK. And guess what, they just have to get on with it like the rest of us. Harsh - but fair unfortunately.
Old 16 April 2005, 02:25 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by imlach
To be fair, Tony is dammed if he does, and dammed if he doesn't on this one.....

No state aid, people don't vote for him.
Give state aid, people get annoyed at him throwing public money at it and don't vote for him.

Lose, lose.

Yeah - I think the only answer is to look ahead, stop replacing industry jobs with silly service jobs and make some efort to build an economy that can sustain manufacturing beyond the election.... hmmm.... on second thoughts, that would require some effort, so lets stick with 150 million quids worth of 'retraining' :liar:
Old 16 April 2005, 09:24 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I know they wouldn't do it but it would be interesting if HMG said "OK boys we'll match whatever amount the Directors move across from their £40m pension pot into the workers empty pension fund". DL
Old 16 April 2005, 11:39 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Interesting to see PSL is now showing his true NL colours. According to him its all ok to lie and cheat your way to winning an election now as well as using tax payer's money.

Bit like postal voting really, especially in Brum, but according to PSL's beliefs, no problem as long as it is to regain power!

Does the end really justify the means? and must we now accept a world run by deceit.

Les
Old 16 April 2005, 11:48 AM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its ****, but I too have been made redundant so I know how it feels............but...........it wasnt totally unexpected was it? Did none of the workers start to think " hang on this place isnt doing so well, maybe I should put a bit aside - or get another job" I know its hard to do that when you are in that situation - 150 million quid wont go very far, but it could have built a few new schools for sure........