Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Yacht varnish?

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2005, 03:21 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Yacht varnish?

Here’s an odd one, but I know some of you have boating interests.

I’ve a load of dark woodblock flooring all through the house – 8mm stuff, not a thin veneer. Might be up to 200m2 of it. There’s some floor polish gone on, I don’t know what. It’s pretty scratched in the main areas, as you’d expect.

We went to a furniture shop recently which had stunning wooden stair treads. We asked the wood, and was told it was the usual, but the secret was that they had finished it with boat varnish, which is far shinier and durable than most floor polishes. Cost a fortune, but looked a million dollars and lasted longer than anything else.

We’re toying with the idea of doing it at home.

Can anyone say if it’s a great idea if I can afford it, as the product is vastly superior - or if I should simply stick to a decent landlubber floor finish as the only benefit is, say, protection against salt which I don’t have in the house?

Just to add to the confusion, I looked on one website, and there's a stack of different products available. I only know I don't need the one for finishing hull exteriors

Cheers!
Old 15 April 2005, 04:26 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi m8
Yacht varnish is superb for any job but it can be really hard work to apply as you really need to work it. Finish you get will outlast most other products and looks superb. I used to curse the stuff when I worked in the yachtbuilders as if you got a load of exterior woodwork topsides to do it was one of the hardest jobs you could get.
It will look great though.
Alas
Old 15 April 2005, 04:28 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Forgot to say you are looking for deck varnish.
Cheers
Old 15 April 2005, 05:06 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thats a large area !.........youll need 5/6 coats ( especially as you walking on it)...
going to be pricey...........and its hearbreaking if any water/uv gets underneath .....(Ivecompletely redone my boats coachsides 3 times)..
I think i would sand it down and stick with the polish or ask what house builders do

Last edited by dpb; 15 April 2005 at 05:08 PM.
Old 15 April 2005, 10:42 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, thanks.

I saw the recommendation for 4-5 coats (I read the Hempel site, http://www.hempel.com/Internet/ineco...9?OpenDocument ) and was hoping that was just for hulls, rather than decks. Drat.

I also saw something about getting water or uv under - this is only at the time of application, it's fine after, right? We're thinking of it as water can spill in a house - drop a glass, puppy has a pee, etc - and thought that being a boat product it would be better than a house one. I can imagine it will be hell though as our combined lounge/ diner is 52m2, plus a bit of hallway, and I suppose you have to do it all at the same time.

As for labour etc, the Lisbon coastline is swamped with boats, so I'm hoping not to have too much trouble finding a person/team/product to do the job.
Old 15 April 2005, 11:03 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

polyurethane 2-component finish is going to be more knock resistant.........at a price of course.......As far as im concerned anything labelled 'yachting' is an excuse to charge you twice as much....
Old 16 April 2005, 12:07 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The polyurythane does look good and it is very durable. As dpb says, if it has "yacht" written on it it will be twice the price.

Our Polyurythaned wood still looks very good after 11 years in the house.

Les