Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Brother or public safety?

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/articles/17867379

Discuss
Old 14 April 2005, 01:21 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

It is in part to meet the US requirements. I suppose it will make Passports harder to forge, it's when they start insisting you have to have one and you have to have it on you at all times that I get twitchy
Old 14 April 2005, 02:49 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

no-one likes having their privacy intruded upon, but is it any worse than the personal information we more than voluntarily give in everyday circumstances...? isnt it the case that only those who would oppose measures like this are those whose possible criminal activities it would impede...?
Old 14 April 2005, 02:52 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Depends if you like having your fingers chopped off so they can steal your identity

Bit extreme, but could happen. Didn't some geezer have his finger chopped off because some security device that the thieves wanted to bypass used biometric finger print checking (or whatever the fandangled technology is called )?
Old 14 April 2005, 02:54 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brihoppy
no-one likes having their privacy intruded upon, but is it any worse than the personal information we more than voluntarily give in everyday circumstances...? isnt it the case that only those who would oppose measures like this are those whose possible criminal activities it would impede...?
Not really - those involved in criminal activities won't think twice about breaking a further law by forging ID cards and such like. I don't care how many security measures they put in, those that want to get round it will. The rest of the general public however are inconvenienced as the paperwork is checked more frequently and in more places to try and catch the ones with the false paperwork. It's a self perpetuating problem IMO.
Old 14 April 2005, 02:58 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Not really - those involved in criminal activities won't think twice about breaking a further law by forging ID cards and such like. I don't care how many security measures they put in, those that want to get round it will. The rest of the general public however are inconvenienced as the paperwork is checked more frequently and in more places to try and catch the ones with the false paperwork. It's a self perpetuating problem IMO.
yeah, i have to agree with you there...i guess there are ways around everything...i suppose it could be seen as just another way of keeping track of the public at large...
Old 14 April 2005, 03:09 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Home Secretary Charles Clarke has authorised the passport service to expand massively the number of offices it runs, from seven to over 70, so that it can cope with the new system.
Old 14 April 2005, 03:12 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brihoppy
yeah, i have to agree with you there...i guess there are ways around everything...i suppose it could be seen as just another way of keeping track of the public at large...
And when we are supposed to be a free country - why would they be doing that under normal circumstances? OK you can start heading off down conspiracy theory paths here, but on a day to day basis I don't want the inconvenience of being stopped because a copper doesn't like the look of me and then being asked a whole load of questions and have to identify myself. It's a trade of between allowing the majority to have freedom and protecting them from the odd few nutters / terrorists. How far are you prepared to be restricted for how much improvement in safety?
Old 14 April 2005, 03:34 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Me, I am a conspiracy theorist. Those who "rule" us and by that I mean not just politicians but the whole of the systems of the State are not unaware of the undercurrents of dissatifaction in this country. They look at BBs too.
The vast shifts of economic power, of which we are only seeing the beginning imo have them worried for the future. I'm sure that the futurologists they use are predicting the potential for civil unrest on a large scale. The State therefore, needs to attempt to get more control over the majority. The earlier the "masses" can be persuaded to accept this the better. The State can tolerate minority deviance but not from the mass. Witness the collapse of "Communism".
Think of the State as a biological organism. It's first imperative is to survive. It can tolerate some malignant cells but not a majority for that would be a cancer that would destroy it.
Old 14 April 2005, 03:49 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vegescoob
Me, I am a conspiracy theorist. Those who "rule" us and by that I mean not just politicians but the whole of the systems of the State are not unaware of the undercurrents of dissatifaction in this country. They look at BBs too.
The vast shifts of economic power, of which we are only seeing the beginning imo have them worried for the future. I'm sure that the futurologists they use are predicting the potential for civil unrest on a large scale. The State therefore, needs to attempt to get more control over the majority. The earlier the "masses" can be persuaded to accept this the better. The State can tolerate minority deviance but not from the mass. Witness the collapse of "Communism".
Think of the State as a biological organism. It's first imperative is to survive. It can tolerate some malignant cells but not a majority for that would be a cancer that would destroy it.
Do you buy tin foil in bulk?
Old 14 April 2005, 03:52 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Why would I do that?
Old 14 April 2005, 03:53 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

I'm guessing to cover yourself and your house in to stop the probing and control beams
Old 14 April 2005, 03:55 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Why would I do that?

Old 14 April 2005, 03:57 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanslow
I'm guessing to cover yourself and your house in to stop the probing and control beams
At least somebody is on my wavelength
Old 14 April 2005, 04:02 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

What beams? Do you know something the rest of us don't?
Old 14 April 2005, 04:07 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Yep, they operate on the wavelength that OllyK is talking about. You need tin foil to stop them
Old 14 April 2005, 04:08 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

What beams? Do you know something the rest of us don't?
Please tell me you meant to put some smilies in there but forgot?
Old 14 April 2005, 04:16 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

The only way to be safe.....

You know it makes sense I'm off to buy shares in Tin Foil manufacturers
Old 14 April 2005, 05:56 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

end. thin. of. wedge. the.
Old 14 April 2005, 06:25 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Quality!!

Back to the thread, was at Heathrow couple of weeks ago. Saw a eye retina scanning machine in passport control. No one using it.

They are also trying out new "body" scanning machines, think they are xray of sorts.

Finger prints on passport, what can you do? Not that fussed myself. I suppose it will mean a lot of crims not getting passports so they will be stuck all year round in blighty and not able to go to the costa del sol....

If it aids the police in catching crims, great.
Old 14 April 2005, 10:57 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

On second thought, the control beams, of a sort, are already here. I'm thinking of the vehicle speed measuring and recording devices used by the police.
These use beams, don't they, and while they don't control directly they sure make people modify their behaviour when they see them or think they may be present.

Old 14 April 2005, 11:20 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

We best all go and buy tin-foil cars then

Although judging by the bodywork standards and easy carpark dings, most people on here already have one
Old 15 April 2005, 01:44 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

im thinking rover....
Old 15 April 2005, 09:01 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

I'm PMSL at your comment (which is probably cruel, but it was funny anyway )
Old 15 April 2005, 01:14 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Just another step towards total control of the country by an authoritarian cabal!

Les
Old 15 April 2005, 01:28 PM
ChrisB

So will this mean that instead of just posting a form and pictures, you have to drag your sorry *** X number of miles to the nearest office and queue for ages to be processed?