Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

American passport entry help please

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2005, 04:16 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default American passport entry help please

I have to go to the states in a couple of weeks for work. I have a ten year passport which has about 1 year left to run, maybe 11 and 1/2 months actually. Whats the passport requirements for USA. Do you have to have over 1yr left? is there a visa requirement? Does it have to be the new style passport?

Your help would be appreciated.

Gary
Old 12 April 2005, 04:24 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

http://freespace.virgin.net/john.cle...sa_can/immigr/

British citizens must have a valid ten year British passport. A Visitor's passport is not accepted. According to the web site of the US Embassy in London, England (verified Jun-04), if a visitor's passport is not valid for at least six months beyond their date of departure from the United States, this does NOT affect eligibility to travel. The United States has an agreement with the United Kingdom automatically extending the validity of a passport for six months past the passport’s expiration date. Therefore, the passport needs to remain valid only for the duration of the stay in the United States. However, if a visitor's passport is not valid for 90 days, they will be admitted into the United States only until the date on which the passport expires.
Old 12 April 2005, 04:28 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

no visa required & minimum of 6months passport
Old 12 April 2005, 04:32 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by InvisibleMan
no visa required & minimum of 6months passport
Apparently not - see above
Old 12 April 2005, 04:35 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

even better then
Old 12 April 2005, 04:39 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by InvisibleMan
even better then
True - not sure I'd want to risk it though!
Old 12 April 2005, 04:45 PM
JGRIFF
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down Bad News

Unfortunately, you do require a visa, and you have to make the application in person at the US embassy in Grosvenor Square, London

Those people with the new bio-metric passports (DNA, iris recognition, etc) can apply by post

This is not a wind up, please ring the embassy, speak to the visa application section, they will tell you exactly which documentation you will require for your application
Old 12 April 2005, 04:46 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

So, it's a work visit.

OK, The passport will need to be valid for the duration of the stay, plus at least 90 days after you leave.

You'll need to fill out an I94 Visa Waiver, and you MUST put down you're in for business. You'll also need to fill out a Customs Declaration form. Both of these you should get at check in, but you can get them on the plane, or after you land. I'd suggest filling them out on the plane, as there is hardly anywhere to write when you get off the plane.

Now, as you're coming to work, they are going to love you at immigration (yes, I'm being *very* sarcastic )

I would take a letter from my employer stating who you are and what you are doing, and where you are going. Also take along details of the hotel you are staying, ideally a recipt or confirmation email from the Hotel.

This applies even if you are simply going to visit the US branch of your office.

If you're seeing a client, for example, training, then for gods sake don't say they paid for it. They are seriously ****.

As you might tell, I visit the US a fair ammount, and they are asking me to present purchase orders from clients, to show what I'm doing there! The problem is that if you show a purchase order, then the client has paid for you to see them, and they don't like that, as it's seen as working in the US, and you should have a proper visa for that.

If you show a purchase order that shows training/support/whatever is free, then they'll probably claim that you've built that 'free' part into the base price of your order, and thus you're still getting paid, again, you're 'working' and you'd ideally need a visa. Explain to me how you get out of that one! Thankfully it's not happened to me yet.

However, on my last visit, I was going to a client to give a pre-sales demo. I had a letter explaining this. The Immigration chap said I should being a PO next time I was training (Think he was trying to catch me out), I said I was not training I was giving a pre-sales demo, he still said I should bring a PO next time. I decided not to ask him how the **** could I provide a PO when this is a pre-sales visit and the customer has not purchased anything yet, and possibly might not.
Old 12 April 2005, 04:53 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

As for Machine Readable Passports, well, I got mine in 2000 and I'm sure it IS machine readable, both US and Canadian Immigration swipe it through a machine, so I'm guessing that means it's machine readable.

Also, you WILL need to submit to a digital photograph and fingerprint scan when you go to the customs/immigration offical. Only takes about 30 seconds though, and no real headache.

One very serious bit of advice, don't try and joke with the Immigration people, they don't seem to have a sense of humor, plus "our" humor is different to them (they don't really understand irony) and so they might not "get" an ironic joke/comment, or take it the wrong way. Not saying that this will impair you're getting into the US, but they might then ask you a raft of questions, well, more than they are going to anyway.
Old 12 April 2005, 04:53 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

when i say no visa required i mean it just one of them waiver thingys. so what about those who dont have a bio-metric passport will we need one just to go to the states then??? sod them i wont bother going over there then...nothing to see anyways...
Old 12 April 2005, 09:10 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

**** me why dont we make it that complicated to get into the UK then perhaps we wouldn't get invaded quite so much........

Anyway I will have a good read through all that when I know the exact dates and get things sorted. Thanks for the help fellas...

Oh and its nothing exciting just a week over ther in boston and detroit doing a bit of a sales job ,

cheers fellas

Gary
Old 12 April 2005, 09:18 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

The hoops they make you jump through are quite amazing, aren't they? They just really do not like anyone but US citizens working in the US. Of course, we'll ignore that fact that they let a hell of a lot of mexicans in, and don't bat an eyelid, hmm, wonder if it's because the majority of the yanks would not do the manual labour that the mexicans can and will do, so a blind eye is turned. But when a company wishes to setup up office, and obtain work permits and such like, they are not allowed too, as it's taking jobs from american citzens.
We'll ignore the very sublte fact that there aren't any americans who actually have the expertise we need in the first place, and that we'd have to create a base before we can employ and train them. Obviously they overlook this little fact, as they are able to do everything perfectly.

Anyway, rant over. Just make sure you've got letters covering what you're up to and why, and where you are staying, and for how long, and you should be ok.
Old 12 April 2005, 10:30 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Dont crack any joke with the immigration officials- and DO NOT cross the line while waiting- they will send you to the back as i saw them do to a few people behind me (back of a line from a full 747 with only 3 desks open is great fun as you can imagine).

Anyway

In answer to your questions, if you are there on holiday or basic business, you will not need a visa- you can do the visa waiver program which you will be given on the plane.
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/vwp.html
If you have a conviction (for anything) you are not eligible under the visa waiver and will need a visa from the embassy.

you can tell if your passport is machine readable, as it will have aload of numbers and >>>>>>>> 7578575785 >>>>>>>>> symbols along the bottom.

They are so **** and paranoid its unreal!

The visa waiver form is this (front and back pictured-and yes this is a real one, some of those questions would appear to be a joke):
front:http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/...i94w_front.jpg
back:http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/.../i94w_back.jpg
Customs form: http://www.thedibb.co.uk/web/imigrat...ustomfront.jpg

Make sure you have your return flight number/date handy when you land, as well as the address of the hotel where you are staying.

Actually, i did manage to get a semi humorous comment from one customs guy. He was concerned as to me having near enough $1000 (£500) in cash on me and asked why i had so much- when i replied it was a lot for them but not a lot for us with the current exchange rate, he laughed and had a pop at dubya and said it would likely be remaining that way for a long time.
I didnt fancy going for another joke as he had a big gun!

Last edited by Freak; 12 April 2005 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12 April 2005, 10:39 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love question C on the back of the VISA waiver form.

I'm off to Alaska in 8 weeks time to do a Montaineering Expedition, so I'll keep in mind the immigration advice. Nice to know we'll be welcomed with open arms
Old 12 April 2005, 11:39 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGRIFF
Unfortunately, you do require a visa, and you have to make the application in person at the US embassy in Grosvenor Square, London

Those people with the new bio-metric passports (DNA, iris recognition, etc) can apply by post
This isn't true.

From the US embassy in London's website:

"The requirement that a traveler be in possession of a biometric passport will apply only to Visa Waiver Program travelers whose passports are issued on or after October 26, 2005. If your passport is issued before October 26, 2005 you may continue to travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program provided the passport is machine readable and you are otherwise qualified for visa free travel."
Old 13 April 2005, 02:21 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

If you are going for business, make sure you say you are there for "business meetings" or "training". I made the mistake on my first trip to the US of saying I was going to do a some software testing. I was ushered away into a room full of immigrants and assylum seekers from all over the world and had to wait an hour for an interview by an immigration official. In that interview I was asked if this software testing was "a job which could be done by an American". I managed to convince them I was the only person on the planet who could do such testing and they let me enter the country.

"Business meetings" and/or "training", remember!

Last edited by Brit_in_Japan; 13 April 2005 at 11:03 AM.
Old 13 April 2005, 03:50 AM
AndyK
Scooby Regular

Calm down, calm down!

I have been in and out of America all the time and now live here. I have never had any problems getting in. I have always been honest with imigration even when I came for an interview for an American job. Before working here I installed instruments all over. Not a problem. The worse I have had from an officer was the remark "I do not want to hear you life story". And he was joking. Canada is harder than here to get in if you say you are going to work!

This sort of talk made my mother worried about visiting me. After 9/11 they did get very jumpy but now there is no problem.
Old 13 April 2005, 05:49 AM
bonkers
Scooby Regular

I've been back & forth a time or two... lived here for the past eight years.

I never joke with immigration on either side of the Atlantic. Not worth the hassle.

Old 13 April 2005, 10:26 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

From what i can sort from reading this lot .....

I just need a passport with the codes along the bottom which I think I have and the immagration form I fill out on the plane and thats it.
I wont try any comedy and business meetings, sorted......

Gary
Old 13 April 2005, 12:25 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

New rules just came in for US entry. Here is a summary...........

This email applies to UK passport holders, it is very lengthy but information that is necessary to get out.

Visa Free Travel to the USA***************
*Under the US Visa Waiver Programme, many British Citizens holding a UK
****************************** passport
**************** do not require a US visa providing: -
** ·* Duration* of stay is not more than 90 days and traveller* holds* a
***** valid ticket for onward or return travel.
** ·* Passport is valid for at least 90 days from date of entry into the
***** United States.
** ·* Travel is for business, tourism or transit only
** ·* Traveller* is* not a journalist on assignment* nor* an* individual
***** seeking gainful employment
** ·* Traveller has never been arrested (even if the arrest did not lead
***** to a conviction) and has not been convicted of a crime.
** ·* Traveller* has* not been refused entry into or deported* from* the
***** United* States* and* has* not previously* violated* the* terms* of
***** admission under the visa waiver program
** ·* Traveller* is* in* possession of an* individual* machine* readable
***** passport
** ·* Traveller completes and presents an I-94W form to the US Customs &
***** Border Protection at the first point of entry into the USA (these
***** forms are available at check-in or on the aircraft) and otherwise
***** be eligible for a visa.

*************** Entry Procedures Update: 9th March 2005

Biometric Information: Current US legislation requires that UK passports issued on or after 26th October 2005 must contain biometric identifiers.
However* it* has* not yet been confirmed whether the UK Passport* Office will* be* able* to meet this requirement by the proposed date* and* this notice* will therefore be updated as soon as further information becomes available.* In any event,* non-biometric passports issued prior to* this date, will still be accepted for visa free travel.

Finger Scanning & Facial Recognition: All Visa Waiver Passengers will be finger* scanned and their pictures taken upon arrival in the* USA.* This will* take* place* during* the* inspection* with* US* Customs* &* Border
Protection* who* will* use** an** inkless** digital* finger* scanner* to
electronically capture the left & right index fingers of the* traveller.
A* digital photograph of the traveller will also be taken.* The* process usually* takes an average of 15 seconds and should not inconvenience* or delay arrival into the USA.

Machine Readable Passport: British citizen passport holders intending to travel* to the US under the Visa Waiver Program are required to* present an individual machine-readable passport (MRP) upon entry into the USA at Customs & Border Protection.* Those traveling without an MRP will* need to* apply* for a valid USA entry Visa.* This applies to both adults* and children,* each* of* whom must have a personal MRP to enter* the* United States under the VWP.
The* MRP* has* been* issued in the UK since 1988 and as* a* standard* UK Passport is issued for ten years,* then most UK travelers will* now* be using* the* small,* red,* MRP and will already* meet* this* requirement.
However there are two main exceptions: -

** ·* Passports issued by British Embassies overseas,* whether* the* old
***** style* blue* or* the newer maroon versions,* may* not* be* machine
***** readable* and* any* traveller holding such a passport,* who* would
***** otherwise qualify for the Visa Waiver Programme,* needs to* either
***** renew their passport for a MRP version or to obtain a US Visa.
** ·* Children must have their own MRP to travel to the USA but* as* all
***** children,* from* infants* in* arms to* sixteen* years,* have* been
***** required* to hold their own UK passport since Oct 15th* 1998* then
***** many* young* travelers* already meet this* requirement.* However,
***** children born prior to 1998 who are still included in the passport
***** of* either* of their parents will not now be allowed to enter* the
***** USA without their own MRP.

First* Night's* Accommodation:* An I-94W form must be completed* by* all foreign* nationals* and* presented to US* Customs* &* Border* Protection Authorities at the first point of entry into the United States. Arriving visitors will now have to provide an accurate address of the place* that they* intend to stay on their first night in America and it is no longer acceptable to show 'touring' if on a fly-drive holiday, or 'staying with relatives'.

Additionally,* this same information will also need to be in the airline booking system when the aircraft departs the UK and will be sent,* ahead of* arrival,* to* US* Customs* &* Border* Protection* officials* at* the destination airport.* The address recorded in the airline booking system and* the* address shown on the* I-94W completed by the visitor en-route, must* be* identical and may be checked by US Customs &* Border* officers upon arrival to ensure that the information matches.

Indefinite Visas: "Indefinite" B-1 / B-2 visas issued more than 10 years ago are no longer valid.

British Subjects: British subjects ( i.e.* Not Citizens) are not eligible to* travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program and require visas* to travel to the United States.

US* Visas:* US* Visas cost £60.* B-1 / B-2 visas can be* issued* with* a maximum validity of 10 years. Depending on demand, appointments for visa interviews may take some time to arrange and travelers should call* the US* Embassy's* Live Operator Information Service on 09055 444546* (Calls charged at £1.30 per minute) for an appointment as far ahead as possible of the planned departure date.

Passengers in Transit:* British citizens traveling on UK passports* may be eligible to transit the United States under the Visa Waiver Program.
However* if* they* do not qualify for visa free travel* then* they* will require transit visas.

Baggage* Security* Checks:* Screening of passenger's* baggage *now* also includes* opening* luggage* after check in and* therefore* leaving* bags unlocked* will avoid the potential need for them to be opened* forcibly.
However* travelers may be provided with free,* padlock-like seals* that screeners* can* snip open if a search is necessary but,* if unavailable, travelers* are* advised to use cable or zip ties as an* alternative* to baggage locks.* If a checked bag is searched, a statement to that effect will* be* inserted in the bag to notify the owner and the* bag *will* be re-sealed.* Travelers are advised to check with their baggage insurance provider* to* ensure that such measures do not affect their policy.* The following* packing* tips* are advisable but for other* tips,* check* out www.tsatraveltips.us
** ·* Do not pack food or beverages in checked bags
** ·* Pack footwear on top of other contents
** ·* Put personal belongings in clear plastic bags to reduce chances of
***** a TSA screener having to handle them and spread books out - do not
***** stack books
** ·* Do not place film in checked bags, because screening equipment
***** will damage it
** ·* Leave gifts unwrapped should screening require them to be opened
** ·* Put scissors, pocket-knives, other sharp items in checked bags;
***** never carry on.
Note: From 14 April 2005, all passengers checking in at US airports will be* prohibited from carrying any lighter on their person or in* carry-on luggage* in* the* sterile areas of airports or onboard an airplane.* Any lighters that are found will be confiscated and,* only at some airports, there* may be very limited postal facilities to return these to* owners.
Therefore* all* passengers should be advised to dispose of all* lighters prior to check-in.

Visa* and* security* requirements are subject* to* frequent* and* sudden
change.** It is therefore important that travel representatives and* the
traveling* public check the Embassy's public information regularly* and well in advance of their planned travel date.

This* release* has* been* issued for general guidance* only.* Travelers requiring* further specific information or clarification are advised* to call* the* US* Embassy's Live Operator Information Service 09055* 444546 (calls charged at £1.30 per minute)* or visit the US Embassy website* on www.usembassy.org.uk <http://www.usembassy.org.uk/>
Old 13 April 2005, 04:12 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brit_in_Japan
If you are going for business, make sure you say you are there for "business meetings" or "training". I made the mistake on my first trip to the US of saying I was going to do a some software testing. I was ushered away into a room full of immigrants and assylum seekers from all over the world and had to wait an hour for an interview by an immigration official. In that interview I was asked if this software testing was "a job which could be done by an American". I managed to convince them I was the only person on the planet who could do such testing and they let me enter the country.

"Business meetings" and/or "training", remember!
I have trouble if I mention training! As said above, they now would like to see a purchase order and will no doubt claim that we're being paid to work in the US, which is not allowed.

I've had the raft of questions at customs too. They asked me why I was coming in (To visit out US office and train staff in our office). They then ask if we have anyone in the US office who could do this (No, we don't have tech staff in our US office), now for the killer, Why don't you have tech staff in your US office. Hmm, I was tempted to ask what our internal company policies have to do with the US immigration service, but I thought better of it. I smiled and said that it was the way things were, and that it was not my decision.

AndyK,
I'm not overly angry, just narked that they have this **** complex when it comes to people working in their country. I've not travelled to the US prior to 9/11 so maybe things were different back then, but now, it's just frustrating that I get to play 20 questions when I try and enter the USA.
We *did* apply for work permits for the US, but they refused them. Everything we have done with regards to our US company has been above board. We wanted to relocate to the US and pay US taxes and employ US citizens. The NA market is one of our biggest markets. We needed to get in, settle down, and then start empolying more tech staff, but they would not grant us work permits. So all we could do was drop into the office every once in a while, this is not good.
So we relocated to Canada, who were more than happy to let us have work permits, were not critical that we were not going to employ canadain citizens from the moment we started up, they understood we would need to settle and setup things.

As for Canada being harder to get into, ok, I speak as an intra-company transferee, so it's different, but for me, I turn up, present my letter from my UK head office, show them my passport and CV, and 20 mins later I'm walking out of the airport with a nice new work permit. Job done!
I've got other friends who have come over here and not had any problems getting a work permit.

As mentioned above, the customs officer not listening to me when I said I was doing a pre-sales demo, and him asking for the impossible, ie; a purchase order, just makes me a little mad. Woe betide if you try and argue with them, well, not argue, but point out that you're not training, that it's a pre-sales demo, it's free, yes, we do this all the time, normal for our company to do this, and they get on the defensive and could refuse entry, and that's it, you're ****ed! I'm not overly worried if I can't visit the US, what is more worrying would be the embarassment I'd feel when I tell my Boss I'm refused entry for trying to point out the lack of logic of the customs official, plus the embarassment of not turning up to the client because I've been refused entry.

I've traveled to a fair few countries on business and I've never had as much grief as I do every time I enter the US, and I am NOT alone in this.

It does get to the point where you wonder if it's worth dealing with the US, alas you can't ignore them, more's the pity sometimes
Old 13 April 2005, 05:00 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Have rules changed? when i travelled to the USA for work on a training course i had to get a Visa from the Embasy. This was yonks ago though. I have been their on pleasure trips many times and never had a problem with a normal visa waiver, as said dont joke with them, just think of them as robots with no ability to think beyond the set responses they want to hear.
Old 13 April 2005, 05:59 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

John,
I started going to the US on business in 2000 and did not need any additional visa.

Pleasure trips, well, last time I went was in '96, and things were very different back then.

Your robot comment is spot on, explains the "does not compute" stare I get sometimes, might also explain the "Danger! Will Robinson! Danger!" situation that the custom officer goes into when I mention I'm entering the US on business