Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Going for an operation. . .

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2005, 11:45 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going for an operation. . .

I've got an operation on my eyes on Thursday - It involves being put to sleep while they jiggle about with the mucsles that controls how the eyes move.

To say I'm bricking it would be an understatement.

Am I worrying over nothing?

What's it like being "put to sleep" - and waking up from said sleepyness.

I was 10 last time I had a op and can't remember it.

I'm just getting over a cold also - nothing on the lungs - but a bit of blocked sinus (nose, throat & lungs clear) - I'm sure this will be gone by thurs - but do I need to tell them prior to op incase they wish to cancle?

Advise / support welcome
Old 11 April 2005, 11:55 AM
richiewong
Twatful

You'll be fasted before any anaesthetic is adminstered, normally no food or drink the night before.
This is to make sure there is nothing in your stomach incase you vomit whilst under.
Some people like the feeling of 'going under' and often after the procedure wake up thinking when they are going to have to procedure

Main side effects tend to be drowsiness and nausea.
Do tell them about any recent illness and medications you've been taking before hand.
Old 11 April 2005, 12:01 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Got a squint? I had that operation when I was 13. It doesn't hurt but your eye will be very bloodshot for about a week.

I took in a snoopy that only had one eye and they put a patch on it for me LOL. As far as your symptoms are concerned, you should forewarn the hospital and the anaesthetist might phone you before hand to see how things are. If you are getting over a cold I would say your symptoms will be gone by Thursday. Don't worry yourself, anaesthetics have come a long long way since you were 10

When you come round from the operation, you will be very drowsy and might even feel sick. It's quite common to be very emotional too.

Don't worry yourself, you will be fine
Old 11 April 2005, 12:01 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

wouldn't worry too much about the anaesthetic as it's quite nice waking up to find the op is over and for a short space of time at least, you're not thinking about work etc and all the stress. i would tell them about the cold though

have had cists removed from eyelids before under local and as you can't close your eyes, it can be a little uncomfortable. try not to think about it too much and you'll be fine

hope it all goes ok for you and feel suitably refreshed afterwards
Old 11 April 2005, 12:06 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Yes SG - I'm having a squint corrected. Just having the one eye operated on.

Apparently I'm a complicated bugger as this'll be my 4th op. . .

I'll ring them tomorrow about the cold.

Thanks guys
Old 11 April 2005, 12:16 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I've had two major ops, one to rebuild my hip after an accident and the other was open heart surgery.

The anaesthetic is no problem at all, they feed it into the back of your hand through a can wotsit which is already installed and you fall asleep in a few seconds. the next thing you know is when you wake up and realise the job is done. No unpleasantness whatsoever.

I was at least as terrified of it as you were until I had experienced it once-so don't worry.

Les
Old 11 April 2005, 12:17 PM
thundertiger
Scooby Regular

BK, good luck mate....

TT
Old 11 April 2005, 12:22 PM
Kellicious
Scooby Regular

Going under is quite fun You almost feel like you can fight it and stay awake, but alas, you can't

My last op was only a month or so ago, and they go through a whole load of questions in your pre-operative assessment. I imagine that if anything was going to cause any problems, they'd say so then. But it's probably best just to give them a call so as to check about the cold beforehand.

Everything will be cool. My brother had this operation too when he was younger, and he was fine. I imagine this kind of operation is routine for them now
Old 11 April 2005, 12:27 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

do you dream "whilst under"?
Old 11 April 2005, 12:29 PM
Kellicious
Scooby Regular

I certainly didn't the last time, and I very much doubt I ever have done before. To all intents and purposes, you black out. So you don't remember anything from the moment the anaesthetic takes over, to when you wake up
Old 11 April 2005, 12:46 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Talking

The last thing I remember from my last knee operation as the anestetic was being put in, was telling the nurse they were messing with the wrong knee !! and the telly was on the wrong side of the bed
The last thing I remember was everyone then panicking and rushing around then I went to sleep

Luckily I woke up and the pain coming from my right knee was unbearable and they had to knock me back out again , so I knew they had swapped it around and operated on the corrct one !!!
Makes me wonder what would have happened if I hadn't said anything

The only side affects i had was not being able to stay awake for the next two days and feeling hammered all the time

To be honest I was quite nervous before hand but it was fine, I am sure you will be ok too mate

Mark
Old 11 April 2005, 01:24 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

I've had loads and loads of operations and never worry about the anaesthetic at all. You "lose consciousness" really quickly so it seems but I have been told that I'm still talking to the nurses for ages after they administer the aneasthetic.

Next thing you know you have woken up in the recovery lounge feeling really sleepy. My wife tells me she likes that bit as I am really emotional and tell her how much I love her!

It really isn't anything to worry about, don't panic.
Old 11 April 2005, 01:32 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlkKnight
do you dream "whilst under"?
don't think so. i just remember one time [at band camp..] trying to continue a conversation with the anaesthetist and the second time, counting back from 10. Think i got to about 8 then woke up and realised it was all over.
Old 11 April 2005, 01:47 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

I had a squint corrected in my teens too. You'll also find you prolly have double vision for a bit. Oh and spewing is usually on the cards, well it was for me
Old 11 April 2005, 01:55 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

That reminds me, I developed an eye condition a little while ago that basically gave me a massive headache and light sensitivity you can only imagine.

Went to the docotrs after a coule of days as it wouldn't go away. Within 2 minutes of seeing him was rushed to hospital where they shone a light (of all things) in my eye and decided that they had to INJECT ME IN MY EYE. No aneasthetic or anything. BASH like John Travolta and Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction. Nurse holding me down to stop me from running away.

The moral of this is - be thankful for anaesthetic, its your friend.

BTW, vomiting is for poofters, swallow it.
Old 11 April 2005, 03:02 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I went in about six years ago for appendicitis. Had one of those tap things put in the top of my hand, and was then put on a antibiotic drip.
Then had a shot or two of pethadine which got rid of some of the pain, but gave me a stonking headache and nasua.
I ended up on morphine - which cured all my problems

When I had the GA, they pumped a syringe of relaxant(?) into me first, which was really odd, as I could feel it going up my arm, almost watch it below the surface, then felt pretty chilled out.

I then had the big FO syringe full of whatever they put you to sleep with. As somebody has already said on here, you can try and fight it, but you'll never win. It's odd to say the least, but nothing to worry about.

They said to me that I might feel them shoving something in my mouth (to breath for me) as I drifted off, but I never did, but can't see them putting you that deep under for eye surgery.
Old 11 April 2005, 03:09 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

My squint operation didn't work either. Recent homework shows the failure rate to be fairly high in adults - best to have done under the age of 5-6 really.

Good luck coz I'm still crosseyed LOL

Karen x

Thanks guys
Old 11 April 2005, 03:14 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

And remember - If it goes wrong there are always others worse off than you

I'm sure you'll be fine and wont feel /remember a thing
Old 11 April 2005, 03:16 PM
ChrisB

I had an epidural when I went under for surgery to repair a broken femur. Dozed off for a bit but came round towards the end. I could hear the nail being hammered into my leg - they were having a right good go at it Thankfully I couldn't feel anything.
Old 11 April 2005, 03:20 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

I'd rather have an epidural for surgery for sure - it was a fabulous feeling when I had a c-section - really odd feeling peoples hands inside your body whislt your awake
Old 11 April 2005, 04:26 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys
Welcome to the club I've had 4 as well (2 on each) !!!! The lazy ******* just won't stay where they're put

EDITED TO ADD: I don't think they ever operate on both at the same time
Old 11 April 2005, 04:28 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

I find my glassess correct my squint so I have never bothered having another operation. And if I go out for the night I don't wear my glasses as I won't be able to see by the end of the night anyway LOL
Old 11 April 2005, 04:31 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Soulgirl
I find my glassess correct my squint so I have never bothered having another operation. And if I go out for the night I don't wear my glasses as I won't be able to see by the end of the night anyway LOL
Mine are pretty straight at the moment altho one does tend to go walkabout more when I look up/down at angles.

As for going out, all my mates reckon my eyes are always perfectly straight after a couple of pints
Old 11 April 2005, 05:58 PM
scoobygurllover
Scooby Regular

Its called an intravenous canula thats gets put into ur hand for the drugs to be adminstered.And if ur gettin put to sleep as you say you are, you do get a thing in your mouth and down into the back of your throat to link up to the breathing machine( forgotten the technical name) so the anaestetists can regulate ur breathing for you and in turn keep you asleep. Otherwise u will wake up halfway through.
Old 11 April 2005, 06:07 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Originally Posted by scoobygurllover
you do get a thing in your mouth and down into the back of your throat to link up to the breathing machine( forgotten the technical name) so the anaestetists can regulate ur breathing for you and in turn keep you asleep. Otherwise u will wake up halfway through.
Endotracheal tube more commonly they use a Laryngeal Mask but depends on the Anaethetist I suppose.

Also you'll hear the words 'Sharp Scratch'
Old 11 April 2005, 06:11 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richiewong
Endotracheal tube more commonly they use a Laryngeal Mask but depends on the Anaethetist I suppose.

Before being asked to count backwards or similar... you won't get past 96 ususally LOL.
Old 11 April 2005, 06:27 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by richiewong
Thats funny, they said "tiny *****" to me or were they referring to something else
Old 11 April 2005, 06:33 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

GOOD LUCK
Hope all goes well
Old 11 April 2005, 07:00 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am booked in on Weds to have my Septoplasty, basically having the interior of my snout straightened, I am not bothered really but I get massivley stressed anyway, my heart pounding and feel dizzy (at the pre op), my blood pressure was way up so the nurse got me to lie down and ordered me to calm down, my BP dropped to a more normal (but still high) level and she cleared me for it, I keep breaking into sweats but rationally I am not all that fussed, had some wisdom teeth out under a general and that was great, came around went home, stopped into WHsmith (wife was driving) and I went to get a magazine, went to pay, paid, walked away and noticed blood dripping onto my shirt, to her credit the lady in Smiths didnt look horrified.

The general Anaesthetic isnt a problem, its great, if you come round again afterwards that is, General Anaesthetic/Lethal injection, pretty similar really.
Old 11 April 2005, 07:13 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by jasey

Last time I had a general anaesthetic was when I was about 12 I think.... I had a hernia done under local the other week though - didn't notice the sensation of people poking around inside me though They gave me a thing to make me more drowsy before as well, presumably so I didn't remember too much or whatever... All fairly painless - until the local wore off

Good luck You'll be ok

Quick Reply: Going for an operation. . .