Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transport 2000 - YOU pay for them in taxes

They, AFAIK, fund this lot

http://www.roadblock.org.uk/index.htm

And transport 2000 want to gid rid of a fav tv prog

http://www.transport2000.org.uk/take...akeActionID=13

AIUI, Transport 2000 is funded by YOUR taxes and also by these groups:
Stagecoach, the Railway Industry Association, National Express and other public transport companies and the Ramblers Association.
So, no conflict of interest then!
Old 07 April 2005, 09:55 AM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
They, AFAIK, fund this lot

http://www.roadblock.org.uk/index.htm
Pesty green loons!
Old 07 April 2005, 11:40 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Beardy-weirdeys
To call for `motormania` programmes such as Top Gear to be scrapped on the grounds that they glamorise speed and the use of vehicles with high fuel consumption.
Cos, as we all know they are hanging crimes these days!
Am I the only one who got the feeling that that had to massively hold back and not use the phrase "Thought Criminals" in that sentance?
Jesus Christ.
astraboy.
Old 07 April 2005, 12:38 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Probably wouldn't do any harm to fill in the form and send it in, pointing out that many replies are likely to be from T2000 members, and therefore that the number of replies holding the view that TG etc should be scrapped is likely to be skewed.
Old 07 April 2005, 01:13 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
Probably wouldn't do any harm to fill in the form and send it in, pointing out that many replies are likely to be from T2000 members, and therefore that the number of replies holding the view that TG etc should be scrapped is likely to be skewed.
To be honest, apart from the "Any other comments" section, most of the questions are wide reaching about policy in general and are unlikely to have any impact on a specific program. It is possible it may affect a whole area of programming such as "politics" or "sport" but even that I would suggest is unlikely.

Anyway - filled it in and sent it off, "we really need the BBC to promote ideas and POVs that conflict with government on motoring and transport policy"
Old 07 April 2005, 01:20 PM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular

well im all for getting rid of top gear............ just seems to be a load of silly car tests with no real implications in the real world only bit worth watching is the stig
Old 07 April 2005, 01:25 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rgv_stu
well im all for getting rid of top gear............ just seems to be a load of silly car tests with no real implications in the real world only bit worth watching is the stig
I have no issues with TG being axed if the rating figures indicate that it is not being watched, however, I do object to it being removed just because some green, hippy pressure group don't like it.
Old 07 April 2005, 01:39 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Erm, what real implications in the real world are there for a racing driver thrashing a car around an airfield?

Fine, if you don't like a programme, don't watch it. But, to actively campaign to get a programme banned because you don't like it, seems rather specious to me.
Old 07 April 2005, 06:38 PM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular

dont take it personally
and i wouldnt bother signing up to get it banned, just stating that i think most of the shows contents could be crammed into 10 minutes top, but is stretched to make it an hour show.
Old 07 April 2005, 06:55 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

dont take it personally
and i wouldnt bother signing up to get it banned, just stating that i think most of the shows contents could be crammed into 10 minutes top, but is stretched to make it an hour show.
I should point out only my first comment applied to you, the second was directed at the people who run that website.

Maybe the contents could be crammed into 10 minutes, but I'm sure that applies to just about any programme.

I can't stand soaps, cooking programmes, many sports, religious programmes etc etc, but if all the things I dislike were banned, there would ony be 3 or 4 hours of programming a week.

The people who run TV stations have to try and cater for a wide spectrum of interests and it would be ridiculous to single out one type of programme to be banned, just because it doesn't agree with a small section of people's beliefs.
Old 07 April 2005, 07:49 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Some further information and quotes on this thread from a few days back:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=416681