Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default American police start giving tickets to middle lane morons

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...gering_lefties

I wish they would do this over here.
Old 06 April 2005, 11:51 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The American habit is to stay in one particular lane and use their indicators to show on which side they expect you to overtake or undertake them!

Les
Old 06 April 2005, 12:06 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Although on many interstates signs do say that slow traffic should keep to the right lane, as per the UK. Just wish they enforced it in the UK
Old 07 April 2005, 01:09 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Imagine the posts on here..!!!!!!

'Got pulled in the middle lane......have they got nowt better to do"
Old 07 April 2005, 01:16 AM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Felix.
Imagine the posts on here..!!!!!!

'Got pulled in the middle lane......have they got nowt better to do"
You broke the law, you got caught, overtaking is no defence.
Now, where's me medication...

...P.S. Vote Labour.
Old 07 April 2005, 07:37 AM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

Location: ShyTot graphics Location: Squires Bar Location: Wakecastlefract

Why issue a ticket? Just shoot the b'stards
Old 07 April 2005, 08:43 AM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Sticky Stuff
Why issue a ticket? Just shoot the b'stards

There is nothing more annoying to me on a motorway than a lane hoggin tw@t
who is only doing 50mph or 60mph, they have no idea the congestion they cause
Old 07 April 2005, 08:48 AM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

percisely

Had to go from lane one to lane three to pass some brain dead a$$hole once, only to look in me mirror and see him getting a tug for it from the boys in blue Made my day
Old 07 April 2005, 09:01 AM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sticky Stuff
percisely

Had to go from lane one to lane three to pass some brain dead a$$hole once, only to look in me mirror and see him getting a tug for it from the boys in blue Made my day
I used to get that all the time on the M40 when I worked at Gaydon, the motorway was fairly quiet and travelling along at 80ish when all of a sudden you come across a moron in the middle lane, quite often I gave them a flash as I pulled out, and once round them straight back into the left hand lane and they are so oblivious to what is going on, and don't even realise you were flashing them !! Some of them are a danger on the road !!

But yet they always say speed is dangerous, surley this sort of driving is just as bad ??
Old 07 April 2005, 11:42 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Fast lane hoggers are even worse...full of people queuing nose-to-tail within feet of each other at 60mph (accident waiting to happen ) they all want to go faster but can't because of some eejit 20 cars infront.

Happened to me on the M42 round the Bottom of Brum on Friday. Middle lane empty, barring a truck 1/2 mile away So what did I do?

Did 70mph down the middle lane and went past the lot of them By the time I reached the truck he moved back to lane 1 and I carried on at calmly crusing at 70mph slowly passing all the irate drivers in lane 3. UNtil I met up with a middle lane hogger which was causing the queue in lane 3 Still, wait for a nice gap in lane traffic in lane 3 hop in, overtake back to lane 2 then carry on as normal

Obviously alot of people in lane 3 (and probably a few on here too ) won't like that and make a point by following the car infront even closer when they see that I will need to go in lane 3 due to me approaching a car infront of me. Such sad sad small minded people for letting such trivial things like that get to them, just stick on classic FM, and relax just let everyone get on with it, use gradual throttle movements, acelaration and braking (not throttle brakes throttle brakes every 10seconds) saving fuel at the same time, read the road at least 2 cars infront of and travel at a safe distance from the car infront...unless they really want to kill themselves or others.

These are the bad drivers on the road...I rate them as equally or more dangerous drivers than the middle lane hoggers - simply because they can't control their thinking and concentrate soley on the car infront
Old 07 April 2005, 01:51 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Anyone in lane 2 who indicates in good time to pull into lane 3, I will go out of my way to let out. If drivers are confident that they could pull out into the faster lane when necessary they would be less likely to sit there holding everyone else up. (Ditto lane 1 to 2, although obviously less hassle for me to pull to lane 3).
Old 07 April 2005, 02:08 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
Anyone in lane 2 who indicates in good time to pull into lane 3, I will go out of my way to let out. If drivers are confident that they could pull out into the faster lane when necessary they would be less likely to sit there holding everyone else up. (Ditto lane 1 to 2, although obviously less hassle for me to pull to lane 3).
Agreed.

If a person waits until they're right on the **** of the truck then they notice it, drop the anchors and try to get across, I do not want that idiot in front of me doing unpredictable thing. If they see it in plenty of time and are trying to get arcoss then I'm happy for them to be there as they wont cause any problem and are likely to move across once they're past the truck.

I think we should have all motorways as 4 lanes, and only allow trucks to use two of them, this would acheive two things.

1) No more situations where everyone squezes into lane 3 as a truck does a 3 mile overtake
2) No middle lane, which will confuse the middle lane hogs and make them pay attention. If they decide to use the hard shoulder when calculating which is the middle one they will end up in lane 2.
Old 07 April 2005, 04:09 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Speedkings law states that "where the number of lanes available on a motorway is n, the muppet shall drive in lane n-1, irrespective of the number of clear lanes to his left"
Old 07 April 2005, 05:46 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Speedkings law states that "where the number of lanes available on a motorway is n, the muppet shall drive in lane n-1, irrespective of the number of clear lanes to his left"
Actually, you have a point there.

So just undertake them in Lane 1 then, no copper could argue that that was unsafe
Old 07 April 2005, 06:48 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

That would be so cool over here - I'd be well happy with that. All I want now are instant 12 month bans for holding your mobile when driving and on the spot fines for pointless foglight using then I'll be a happy driver
Old 07 April 2005, 06:57 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

The mobile phone law still gets to me.

I think it should only be enforced if the phone is in continuous use for more than 30 seconds. If you've left the thing in your pocket and it's on vibrate it's bloody annoying when driving. Picking it up and a convo like, "hello, I'm driving who is it I'll call you back" ... "ok Dave, bye" *throw phone onto passenger seat* is far safer than trying to drive while the phone is tickling your leg. I have a handsfree but occasionally forget to put the phone on it before setting off.

What you want to get are the w4nkers who have long drawn out converstations with the other hand on the wheel as the weave in and out of traffic in order to avoid slowing down and therefore having to change gear, or who fail to pay attention because they're trying to sell photocopiers or something.
Old 07 April 2005, 09:42 PM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
That would be so cool over here - I'd be well happy with that. All I want now are instant 12 month bans for holding your mobile when driving and on the spot fines for pointless foglight using then I'll be a happy driver
I like you.

Can we add a clause to the foglight law stating the same for LED washers and coloured sidelights?

In fact, I'd let the fine thing go for foglights if I was allowed to shoot at the ******* from a reasonable distance.
Old 07 April 2005, 10:36 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Lum - Picking it up and throwing onto the passenger seat without answering is safer still, the phone will register who called anyway.

Sticky stuff - I like your refinement of abdabz good idea, but I'll suggest a further refinement. You should have to take a warning shot, wait 5 seconds, and then if the fog light is still on, shoot the lights. If they continue to be a muppet, shoot the driver when they're in an empty bit of motorway.
Old 07 April 2005, 11:59 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hades
Lum - Picking it up and throwing onto the passenger seat without answering is safer still, the phone will register who called anyway.
The vast majority of corporate, and institutional phone systems do not present Caller ID. All but one of my customers (I'm a field engineer) have this problem, so I have no idea who's calling
Old 08 April 2005, 12:22 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

About fukcing time.. I wish the police here would do the same, and also for the fast lane huggers doing 69!
Old 08 April 2005, 02:12 AM
gareth123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
The American habit is to stay in one particular lane and use their indicators to show on which side they expect you to overtake or undertake them!
I've never seen anyone do that, not once.
Old 08 April 2005, 02:23 AM
RB5 Paul
Scooby Regular

And if it's a beemer do u go straight through them?
Old 08 April 2005, 06:42 AM
bonkers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gareth123
I've never seen anyone do that, not once.
Me neither.

Originally Posted by Shark Man
Although on many interstates signs do say that slow traffic should keep to the right lane, as per the UK. Just wish they enforced it in the UK
I wish they enforced it here.
Old 08 April 2005, 07:23 AM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

Folks, there is no 'fast lane'

There's a driving lane and two overtaking lanes. Perhaps if people started calling them what they are they would get used a little more thoughtfully. Just a thought.
Old 08 April 2005, 08:44 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Exclamation More education required.

But this paragraph:
Originally Posted by Master Trooper Ron Watkins
said that since the ticketing campaign began three months ago about 90 percent of the drivers he has pulled over for dawdling or cruising in the left lane said they didn't know that it was illegal to do so.
shows that the Americans believe in revenue collection rather than driver education I know they have different laws between states so this figure would be lower in the UK, but you may as well introduce a law and not tell anyone about it. (Plus it would be your first excuse even if you did know it was the law. )
Old 09 April 2005, 05:50 AM
bonkers
Scooby Regular

But this paragraph:

shows that the Americans believe in revenue collection rather than driver education I know they have different laws between states so this figure would be lower in the UK, but you may as well introduce a law and not tell anyone about it. (Plus it would be your first excuse even if you did know it was the law. )
It's in the bloody driver's ed. manuals... trouble is that lingering in the fast lanes and to a lesser extent, undertaking has become so ingrained by now that many people probably don't realize it's against the rules.

Last edited by bonkers; 09 April 2005 at 03:17 PM.