car taxing query

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2005, 11:37 PM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car taxing query

Hey

I can pick up my new (to me) car tomorrow.

It needs to be taxed before I drive it, Obviously tomorrow is the last day of the month so would 12 months tax run out end of february or end of march next year?

I'm thinking that because its newly registered to me and I don't have the tax renewal form that they would make the tax end feb 06 so I'll lose a month by not waiting till friday.

Anyone know for sure?

cheers

Rich
Old 31 March 2005, 07:16 AM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Wait til Friday!

It'll be up for renewal next feb else.
Old 31 March 2005, 08:36 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Months tax = £15. Depends whether you're prepared to wait a day to save £15. Small beer when you think the car will depreciate £5k on that first day

When I bought a new car near the end of the month I could pay a small extra amount to get cover for the couple of days. But that was 15 years ago! However every year after that I had a problem because when I came to purchase the road fund license before the beginning of the month I didn't have insurance cover for the day when the road tax was due to start (when the PO decided that a cover note was not adequate). Having insurance and tax separated by a month (or 6) would have saved me a lot of grief.
Old 31 March 2005, 08:51 AM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think I'll wait, I don't really have time today I'm just eager to get it!!

It's not a new car, "new (to me)" I said, I better not lose 5k as I only paid just more than that!!

It is only £15 but it's no use to me as I'm going out tonight and got loads of work to do during the day so I will wait.

Rich
Old 31 March 2005, 08:56 AM
MOK79
Scooby Regular

While on subject of tax. My misses' car needs tax (runs out today) is it still legal if it is bought tomorrow or do I have to get it today ?????
Old 31 March 2005, 09:26 AM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

I think you have to actually get it today. It will be untaxed from midnight tonight.

It's funny they have a radio advert saying car tax dodgers - you have nowhere to hide. Well a couple of months ago my mates ran out and he didn't realise till 2 months later. No £80 fine appeared, seems their computer systems aren't up to the task yet. Nowhere to hide except his driveway and public roads. Annoying as it means people are no doubt still getting away with tax dodging.

Rang the post office and they said in my situation above I can get it upto 2 days before. Of course they may well not know what they're talking about.
Old 31 March 2005, 09:40 AM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Richard_P
I think you have to actually get it today. It will be untaxed from midnight tonight.

It's funny they have a radio advert saying car tax dodgers - you have nowhere to hide. Well a couple of months ago my mates ran out and he didn't realise till 2 months later. No £80 fine appeared, seems their computer systems aren't up to the task yet. Nowhere to hide except his driveway and public roads. Annoying as it means people are no doubt still getting away with tax dodging.

Rang the post office and they said in my situation above I can get it upto 2 days before. Of course they may well not know what they're talking about.
You can purchase it a couple of days early but you musn't use it before April 1st

I've heard that the all-seeing DVLA database is actually only 15% complete. Of course that was a few months back so it's probably a lot higher by now.