Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Shake hands with the devil - Anyone read it?

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2005, 12:36 AM
Ubik
Scooby Regular

Location: Covered in stickers in the year of the HUGE concrete
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Shake hands with the devil - Anyone read it?

Possibly the most horrifying book I will ever read. I am only part way through and its doing me in. I saw the genocide on the TV documentrys / news etc I have read books about Rwanda before and found them very upsetting. But jesus christ, this is a guy that doest hide the details.

Its haunting me day and night, some of the images it portrays are very disturbing. Just had to put it down again, I suffer from insomnia and reading helps me sleep sometimes. This is genuinely haunting me.

There are some things we shouldn't forget.

For anyone that is interested.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...715669-1826235
Old 28 March 2005, 12:39 AM
Ubik
Scooby Regular

Location: Covered in stickers in the year of the HUGE concrete
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No wonder he was suicidal and it took him 10 years to get round to writing

Synopsis
When Lt. General Romeo Dallaire received the call to serve as force commander of the UN mission to Rwanda, he thought he was heading off to Africa to help two warring parties achieve a peace both sides wanted. Instead, he and members of his small international force were caught up in a vortex of civil war and genocide. Dallaire left Rwanda a broken man, disillusioned, suicidal, and determined to tell his story. An award-winning international sensation, Shake Hands with the Devil is a landmark contribution to the literature of war: a remarkable tale of a soldier's courage and an unforgettable portrait of modern war. It is also a stinging indictment of the petty bureaucrats who refused to give Dallaire the men and the operational freedom he needed to stop the killing. I know there is a God,Dallaire writes, because in Rwanda I shook hands with the devil. I have seen him, I have smelled him and I have touched him. I know the devil exists and therefore I know there is a God.