Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Freezing Sky

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2005, 02:36 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freezing Sky

Why is it that only some of the channels on sky tend to freeze but not all of them?

I've tried the system reset and everything else but to no avail, may as well just cancel the contract at this rate.
Old 22 March 2005, 02:41 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Milamber
Why is it that only some of the channels on sky tend to freeze but not all of them?

I've tried the system reset and everything else but to no avail, may as well just cancel the contract at this rate.
In simple terms, different channels come from different transponders on the satellite (and indeed different satellites). The positioning of the dish is a compromise for all transponders and all satellites so if the alignment is not perfect or you are on the fringe of the "footprint" (reception area) and especially in bad weather, some channels will freeze. In reality, one or more data streams are being lost/corrupted so the channels are probably coming from the same transponder (regardless of their "channel" number). If you are way up North you may be on the limit of what your dish can receive. Or possibly your dish is not perfectly aligned.
Old 22 March 2005, 02:45 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Trashman
In simple terms, different channels come from different transponders on the satellite (and indeed different satellites). The positioning of the dish is a compromise for all transponders and all satellites so if the alignment is not perfect or you are on the fringe of the "footprint" (reception area) and especially in bad weather, some channels will freeze. In reality, one or more data streams are being lost/corrupted so the channels are probably coming from the same transponder (regardless of their "channel" number). If you are way up North you may be on the limit of what your dish can receive. Or possibly your dish is not perfectly aligned.

I'm in Essex at the top of a hill and its a slightly cloudy day. I have checked the signal strength and that seems ok.

I haven't had the box connected to the telephone for over 2 years now, could that have something to do with it?
Old 22 March 2005, 02:50 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

I'm in Essex at the top of a hill and its a slightly cloudy day. I have checked the signal strength and that seems ok.

I haven't had the box connected to the telephone for over 2 years now, could that have something to do with it?
Has it been working up to now or gradually got worse? If so could be dish has moved or water in cable, fault on LNB, fault on receiver.....the list goes on! Dish alignment is most likely (assuming no trees have grown in the line of sight!). Should make no difference re:telephone - that was only to get the subsidised price of the box itself and you only signed to keep it connected for 12 months. If you have a friend or neighbour you can swap boxes with you can at least eliminate that - and don't pay too much attention to the signal strength on the box itself; the only sure fire way is to check with a signal meter (and then that is only checking a specific frequency on a specific transponder).
Old 22 March 2005, 03:55 PM
D70
BANNED

Signal quality is more important than signal strength. If you get more than half on the scale you should pick up even the 'hardest' transponders, which in my experience are on Astra 2D.
Old 22 March 2005, 04:04 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Thank yourself lucky that you're not with NTL
Old 22 March 2005, 04:07 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Yeah getting decent quality.
Its been like it for ages now, sometimes its really bad and other times no problem at all. Weather doesn't seem to be a factor becuase it does it in rain, shine, snow or wind. Not all channels and even then not always the same ones.

To be honest the digibox is getting quite old but I cant see that it would need replacing, theres nothing to go wrong.

Just to clarify I have never used a "dodgy card" not that that could be a reason.
Old 22 March 2005, 04:29 PM
D70
BANNED

Have you updated your firmware?

Have a look here

http://www.heyrick.co.uk/ricksworld/.../togetsky.html

BTW my skybox is about the oldest it could be and it works perfectly.
Old 22 March 2005, 05:03 PM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular

ours was doing this...
in the end we just rang sky told them we wernt happy and if they wanted us to carry on paying they would have to sort it out.
FOC we had a new box / lnb / cable
the problem was cable damaged and ingress of water....
Old 22 March 2005, 05:04 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

I haven't had the box connected to the telephone for over 2 years now, could that have something to do with it?[/QUOTE]
My mate did'nt have his connected, and they were billing him £38 a month equipment rental, also some early sky+ boxe's are starting to play up just like you desribed, the same mate has had two replaced.
Old 22 March 2005, 05:07 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

I had this problem and was told to pull out the mains plug on the Sky decoder box and disconnect the aerial going into the box for a minute or so and it worked! Something to do with a build up of static or something.
Old 22 March 2005, 08:56 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

This was happening to our Sky box (Sony) last year. I forced it to do a firmware upgrade after finding the instructions somewhere on the net and I took the card out and wiped it after being advised that they build up static. Unfortunately I did both at the same time so I can't tell you which one it was that worked.
Old 22 March 2005, 10:21 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Well I've just turned it off and it's still doing it so the firmware thing is next, then a call to sky to say "fix it or you're not getting anymore money out of me"
Old 05 September 2005, 10:23 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Flavour of the week this one..