Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Radio 1 Explicit Lyrics

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2005, 09:04 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio 1 Explicit Lyrics

Yesterday (about 5.45) I was driving my seven year old son to my mums becuase he was staying the night there, had the radio tuned to Radio 1 and there was some rap or other on, cant remember the song but it had a 'MotherF*cker' or two in the lyrics, basically they had been covered a little for 'decency' but on one occasion the minimal ammount of blanking they use seemed like none and the word was clear as day.

I cannot understand why a Radio 1 broadcast this stuff, seven year old kids are being exposed to what I consider one of the most unpleasant expletives by the BBC, to who I pay 10.49 every month, I could sort of understand it if I were listening to some pirate station but the BBC, I think they need to update the policy on records like this as they are not blanking it out as you are under no illusion what has been said.

Why do Radio 1 try so hard to be 'Urban' and 'Street' ? its like your granny break dancing.

Anyone else here it, might have been Trevor Nelsons show ?
Old 20 March 2005, 09:22 AM
baz69birds
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to sound a KILL JOY, but as you said SOME lyrics where BLANKED out!! are you sure they WERENT ALL blanked out, & you just knew what they where meant to be saying!!!!
its UNFAIR to blame the BBC as when they get a copie from the RECORD COMPANY they are given 2 yes 2 copies of a song if have bad LYRICS in, & b4 a certain time they play the edited version & after 9pm (i think) they play the NONE edited version, so its NOT the bbc you should be blaming (although if it has UPSET you, please let them know they will BE please for your call!) its the RECORD company,
i DO hope that you & your son DONT hear that again as i know its NOT right, thats why in my car when have my boy (NOW boys) we listen to C.D's we then know we WONT hear any of that, unless we put an album in of that nature.
BAZ
Old 20 March 2005, 09:25 AM
zesty
Scooby Regular

I have to agree about them blanking out the minimal amount possible on swear words, certainly on my local radio station they would cover just about the whole word so that it is more discrete.
I do find though that even when they do this my brain automatically fills in the missing word, because I know that if all I heard was MU********ER I would know what it was trying to say but at least it would be more exceptable for a 7 year old to hear, but then unfortunately he has probably heard words like these in the playground already.
Old 20 March 2005, 09:34 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

BAZ, see your point but I have always thought that we would be safe with a family station like Radio one. Regardless of what Radio 1 receive from record companies they are responsible for their output, they are broadcasting it and are liable for it, not the record companies and I am fairly certain they listen to everything before they air it. Why they need to air songs that even have words like that in during the day is beyond me, they can play what they want after 9pm.

I am sure my kids hear swear words in the playground, perhaps that one isnt so widely used but I think that we need to cut down its use on radio (bleeped or not) so they dont get the idea that it is an acceptable term.

I am not holier than though, I swear (usually to myself) , but I dont want my kids coming out with it.
Old 20 March 2005, 10:42 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

as has been said above....the kids hear it in the playground...........but hearing it said by "adults" on radio just lets them belive its ok
Old 20 March 2005, 10:45 AM
Comper100
Scooby Regular

You should listen to the late night, Bobby & Nihal, Westwood, goldfinger. Swearing, Racism. You get the full package there.
Old 20 March 2005, 11:30 AM
ru'
Scooby Regular

I'mn ot sure that Radio1 would like to be described as a 'family radio station'; it's not their target audience. As ever, if you don't like it, don't listen?
Old 20 March 2005, 12:18 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

BAZ wrote:
its UNFAIR to blame the BBC as when they get a copie from the RECORD COMPANY they are given 2 yes 2 copies of a song if have bad LYRICS in, & b4 a certain time they play the edited version & after 9pm (i think) they play the NONE edited version, so its NOT the bbc you should be blaming (although if it has UPSET you, please let them know they will BE please for your call!) its the RECORD company

In all fairness to the record company, speaking from professional experience, yes, pre/post watershed versions are produced.
The Broadcasting Standards Commission, ITC, OFTEL & OFCOM all monitor what is being transmitted.
So, if the BBC/broadcaster play the wrong version, that's their fault. They will get a hefty fine for doing so.
None of this is the Record Company's fault.

You'll find that the edit/blanking out of profanities can be rather minimal, granted - this IS the Record Company's fault - they'd be at issue with the studio staff/production team.

There is a unique experience to be had when recording an artist (studio, not off the radio!!) that can be described as thus-

You'll monitor the performance whilst it's being recorded, and think it the best thing you've ever heard. Play it back, and think, "Oh my GOD - what was I listening to?!!!"
The brain has a great knack of inserting artificial talent into audio!! It happens all the time - we think something is better than it actually is.

The same could be applied to say, vocals with explicit lyrics? The words are blanked out, but as we know what should be there, we imagine that it IS there......

But for playing the wrong version - that's just incompetance on the broadcasters' part.
Old 20 March 2005, 12:25 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

serves you right for listening to that awful station in the first place

I'm sure the kids would grow to love radio 2
Old 20 March 2005, 12:33 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Was it Eminem?
Old 20 March 2005, 12:35 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I heard Jo Whiley play the wrong version the other day, it got pulled off air very quickly! She apologised etc and then played the edited version...they might as well have not bothered! I think the muffled a split second! You'd think due to the unique way thatthe BBC is funded, they could afford they're own editing stuff!
Old 20 March 2005, 01:35 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

I am more concerned that you risk exposing your children to Chris Moyles' attempts at humour. Thats a fare more henius crime than the odd motherf*cker from Eminem and could scar a kid for life.

PS Radio 4 sometimes broadcast swearing during the day in their plays and crap, and they don't even attempt to blank it out.
Old 20 March 2005, 03:23 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

No wasnt Eminem, not sure who it was, they all sound interchangable anyway, Nelly, 50 cent, Dozee Retard or whatever.
Old 20 March 2005, 03:37 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I think the new 50 cent tune is disgusting! No respect for women, any of them. With the youth having these people as role models, it's no wonder they're growing up like they are!
Old 20 March 2005, 03:40 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Chicks hate that ****
Old 20 March 2005, 03:42 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

they pretend they do but it gets thier juices flowing really.