Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rave review, Hardcore Heaven @ The Opera house, Bournemouth 11/03/05

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2005, 10:03 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rave review, Hardcore Heaven @ The Opera house, Bournemouth 11/03/05

Another in a long line of collaboration events, Hardcore Heaven always feels the need to team up with another organisation before an event goes ahead. This time it was with south coast dons Slinky at their long term home, The Opera House in Bornemouth.

First time teaming up with Slinky and the first time on the south coast (that I can remember anyways), This Hardcore Heaven was also unique for one other reason. It was the first time this event was not a full night in duration. As it was essentially a club night, the Promoters had desperately tried to secure a 4am licence, but it was not to be and a kick out time of 3am had been set.

Despite the shortened length, the lineup made up in quality for what it lacked in longevity. The biggest names in the scene were all on the flyer such as Sy, Unknown, Scott Brown, Styles, Breeze and Brisk, despite the lack of time to fit them all in.

As well as that, a distinct nod had been given to the location of the party as a raft of DJs who have made the south coast their turf had also been booked like Ramos and Supreme, Sharkey, and the almighty DJ Druid.

Finally, as this was a Vs. event, Uberdruck and Mark EG would be representing Slinky in its Hard Dance colours, giving the rave a brief take down from Hardcore speed to nicely break up the night.

For me, I was there to experience several things. It would be my first time at the Opera House and also my biggest ever rave on the south coast. I know the South Coast Hardcore crew know how to party so I wanted to see them rise to the challange of a large scale rave on their doorstep.

Getting there was not too much of a problem, although each time I go to Bornemouth I am shocked at how far away it actually is. Not that it was a problem, but when we rolled up at about 10.30, we were already a little later than planned.

Stashing the car in the multistory behind the club, we made our way to the front and sorted out the entrance shenanigans. Entry was search free and soon enough we were inside.

Brand new venue time once again and I always love exploring a new place to party. First up was finding all the rooms and the massive main arena was hard to miss.

The Opera House is exactly what it says it is, an old opera venue converted to 21st century entertainment spec. Large elliptical main arena surrounded on all sides by a higher balcony, as well as a large main stage in front of the dancefloor. It was nicely full already as Mark EG was on the decks, but I werent hanging round to see him, I had to find the Old skool room.

Turned out a medium sized room at the back was the home of the Old skool, with an up for it party crew in attendence there too. I decided to stay here for a bit, party because its never a chore to listen to a set by the legendary Ramos and Supreme, but also becuase as soon as I walked in to the second arena, "Incognito" was playing out and I love that tune.

The RSR crew were in FULL effect for this one. Even though their old MC is now part of the Raverbaby crew, Marley clearly hadnt forgotten his roots and was on the mic where he belonged as the DJs got on with doing what they do best.

Not only that a certain MC Sharkey had also shown up by this time and was clearly in full on, green light, Party mode, jumping on the mic at the earliest opportunity to hype the crowd in his own effortless fashion.

Not that the party crew needed much hyping, the tunes were doing all the Hard work, making me feel dissapointed I hadn't arrived earlier to fully appreciate the boy's set. However their closing tunes "Higher love" and "Terminator" were a close subsitute.

Next up was a trip to the main arena for my first set of the night down there. Brisk and Storm were on when I made my way downstairs and after I had managed to fight my way near the front, I could appreciate what was in store for rest of the night.

Although I had just been immersed in the old skool, Brisk's set was just what I needed to bring me bang up to date. I like the way he keeps ca certain Hardness to his overall set, despite playing some more sedate tracks during his time on the decks.

That and the addition of an early showing from Storm and Whizzkid on the mic was all the impotus I needed to put the raving shoes on my feet to good use.

Dropping only the most danceable tunes in his set, Brisk included a fair selcection of my favourites, most notably "Just be happy" the Hardcore remix of "Poison", "Crazy Love", and "Angel eyes". Lastly, the MC's also deserve a special mention for not only doing their job in a most workmanlike manner, but also taking time to wish Wottsee well in his recovery.

Another room change was next up, I had already missed one half of Druid and Sharkey's b2b special, but I was going to make up for this by being in the area for the second and loving every minute of it.

As soon as I entered the second arena, I knew I was in for something special. Druid on the decks and Sharkz on the mic is a rarity and also still the best thing since sliced bread.

As well as that the tunes were top notch as well, with Druid going for it first and playing the stuff he is famous for such as "Panik 95", "Toytown" and "Discoland". Thereafter, Sharkey took over the decks and progressed the music to his own brand of the old skool, namely Freeform and underplayed classics.

"Bonkers anthem", "Bodyslam" and "you are everything" all got a well deserved airing, and they were were abely complimented by Casper and Marley and Odyssey going b2b2b on the mic, not to mention the hoards of ravers going for it on the dancefloor.

All too soon it came to an end, but there was no time to wish it could continue, Scott Brown was on downstairs, so after another mission to negotiate the seething mass of ravers in the main arena, I was ideally placed to experience another set from "Scotlands best export".

Scott has made a point of concentrating on the bouncier selection of Evoloution + these days and this set was another good example. Giving the ravers what they wanted, yet still sliding in the odd trance influenced tune to ensure variety, he and Whizzkid expertly and quickly whipped the crowd into a frenzy. Myself included.

The tunes were designed to get the crowd raving and it was effective to say the least. Starting off with a triple headed tune taking samples from "This is how we do it", "neckbreaker" and "Boomstick", the DJ then got to work, dropping everything from "Rock this party" to "you're my angel" in his set, as well as "Cos we're droppin this" (during which Whizzkid masterfully added his "my sexy baby" lyric).

To finish, of course was another few Dutch Hardcore tunes which he is noted for, this time he included "This is my style, **** your style" and finished on "Boomstick"

It was almost over by this point and as such there was only one DJ who could possibly on next. Same for the person about to take over the mic.

Sy and Storm were in command of the Starship Hardcore Heaven and they werent messing about either, with a plethora of tunes at warp factor 9 on offer to close the evening.

Sy was not to be trifled with, he is a master of his craft when it comes to the power hour and likewise can be said of Storm, proving he is at his peak at the end of an event as opposed to the start.

Dropping "Make some noise for Hardcore", "D.E.V.I.L", "Making me wanna dance" and "Bring me round to love" for openers, he ensured any lightweights were sent packing by the high energy tunes.

Then came the scratch battles, a trademark of these two, as Sy used the decks like the expert he is and Storm replied using his weapon of choice.

Finally, the evening was drawn to a close with lots of remixes of classic tunes like "Edge 1", "Pacific Sun" and "Take me away", as well as a sneaky extension which saw Storm wishing the crowd a safe journey home at close to 3.15 rather than the 3am they were meant to shut the party down. Nice one lads, you were visibly pissing off security, but you were keeping your paying customers happy. I'll leave you to work out which was more important.

Things I liked:

Venue - First time at the Opera House and I like what I saw. Huge main room, intimate second room. Ideal arenas for the scale of the upfront and the good vibes of the oldskool. I especially liked the party crew raving on the upper balcony. The closest thing I can compare it to was the Camden Palace.

Attendence - Blimey, what a turnout. Positive proof that Hardcore Heaven is an event that can "Travel" yet still pull in the ravers.

Attitude - This was the best bit of the night. totally 100% ******** free and not a hint of trouble all night. The closest I saw to bother was when a bloke projectile vomited all over the dancefloor. Even then the surrounding ravers only concern was whether he was alright.

Sound - Boom! Very loud in both arenas too. Felt like you were enveloped in the music, which is never bad.

Things I liked less:

3am finish - Fair play on trying for a 4am, but Hardcore Heaven is one of the flagship Hardcore events on the circuit. By that standard, 3am is a joke for a rave of this standard.

Decor - Slinky, Slinky, Slinky everywhere. The only time we got to see the name the majority of ravers were there for was when the laser was turned on. TBH, I would have preferred something more inline to the ratio of Hardcore to Harddance music that was being played.

Cloakroom queue - Thank god I didn't have a coat! the queue was wound round three flights of stairs at the end of the night.

Performance of the rave: Druid and Sharkey b2b, you dont get any better. Tonight was no exception. Both elements of this partnership were there to party and it showed.

Something a bit different from normal is never bad and this night was exactly that. All the musical content of a normal Hardcore Heaven, but with a semi skimmed finish time. I cant say I was too happy with that tbh, but at least the promoters tried everything they could to extend it as long as possible, even to the point of indulging the final DJ and letting him paly as many tunes as he could on the sly at the end of the night.

Having said that, despite the girly 3am finish, everything else that is usually at a Hardcore Heaven was very much in evidence at this party. Hardcore and Old Skool represented by the perfect choice of DJs and MCs, huge attendence, crackling atmosphere and lots of smiles on faces at the end of the evening.

I include myself on that last one. I havent had such an enjoyable night out for quite a while. It was a real pleasure to be there for this party, going to an unknown venue in a new town and not knowing what to expect was half the fun, and the rest of it was realising it was exactly the same as always ( and even better in terms of zero bother all night)

Would I go to another? You bet. I had a great time. I'd love to go back.
astraboy.
Shouts to:
Padz, Carly, Jordi, Wobbly Egg, Goat-E, Wendy, Sykee (totally twatted again!) Dj Poison, Rob JPS & Mrs JPS, Sharkey & Chris, Hixxy, Styles, Brisk, Druid, Sy, Unknown, Storm & Sara, Whizzkid, Odyssey Marley, Casper and everyone else who I have forgotten.
Old 18 March 2005, 10:10 AM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

that sounds good !

im going to transmission @ alexandra palace next week, 6 arenas inc slammin, hardcore heaven, 1nation + raindance. 10,000ppl

im so excited i may wet myself !!!
Old 18 March 2005, 12:58 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Cool

Wow!! excellent. I was gonna do this one but really couldnt be bothered to travel all the way south. Astra, you doing the weekender mate? Thats gonna be massive.