Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Americans and the IRA

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2005, 09:57 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Americans and the IRA

I just can't believe how naive the Americans are. For years many of them have thought of the IRA as oppressed freedom fighters with Gerry Adams as the saviour/hero of the day. Now they have just woken up to the fact that actually the IRA go around killing people and are actually quite a nasty bunch! And Gerry Adams may not be all he is cracked up to be. So the likes of Bush, Edward Kennedy, Hilary Clinton have just realised what has been blindingly obvious for years. Can they really be that naive? Worrying really. These are the people running the world.
Old 17 March 2005, 09:59 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

...and declaring the war against terror
Old 17 March 2005, 09:59 AM
richiewong
Twatful

If its not on their doorstep, they don't want to know
Old 17 March 2005, 10:01 AM
Bangkok Matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
I just can't believe how naive the Americans are. For years many of them have thought of the IRA as oppressed freedom fighters with Gerry Adams as the saviour/hero of the day. Now they have just woken up to the fact that actually the IRA go around killing people and are actually quite a nasty bunch! And Gerry Adams may not be all he is cracked up to be. So the likes of Bush, Edward Kennedy, Hilary Clinton have just realised what has been blindingly obvious for years. Can they really be that naive? Worrying really. These are the people running the world.
Didn't you know? Terrorism was only invented on 9/11/01. Dur!!
Old 17 March 2005, 10:02 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

If its not on their doorstep, they don't want to know
That's why they invaded Iraq, Vietnam, Japan etc then.

Last edited by Dracoro; 17 March 2005 at 10:04 AM.
Old 17 March 2005, 10:15 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

When i went to NY/Florida i got asked in lots of bars "Whats it like being bombed so much living in London"
Old 17 March 2005, 10:24 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The government and Prez have probably always known - but there are a LOT of Irish-American-and-proud-of-it voters over there to be courted. Politics is about doing what's necessary, not what's good.

M

Trending Topics

Old 17 March 2005, 10:35 AM
ChrisB

Originally Posted by Dracoro
That's why they invaded Iraq, Vietnam, Japan etc then.
When did the USA invade Japan then?
Old 17 March 2005, 10:50 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

From 1945 to present day, I believe! Okinawa?
Old 17 March 2005, 10:56 AM
ChrisB

Oh, yes, good point <hides>
Old 17 March 2005, 10:57 AM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

It's the romanticism of the Irish. Everyone seems to think they're great but really they're just the same as everyone else. For evidence see how many English people go out celebrating St Patrick's day tonight and stay in watching Eastenders as April 23rd slips by.
Old 17 March 2005, 11:36 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

As ever its the big Irish expat vote in the States, and they all like to believe that they have Irish blood in their veins.

I remember seiing children doing Irish folk dances in Washington DC to raise cash for the IRA.

Funny how they have switched away from that all of a sudden.

Les
Old 17 March 2005, 11:45 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Ahh, but almost every American has a little bit of Irish in them...even if it was their 2nd ex-wife's cousin
Old 17 March 2005, 11:46 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

all americans have irish or scotish blood in their veins...

*nooyourk accent*

Do you riverdance?
Old 17 March 2005, 11:52 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

Most americans and candians like to trace their roots back and the ones that are irish or scottish seem very proud of it.

Hence why they support the oppresed irish and their supposed freedom fighters the IRA.

without realising the ira arent exactly terrorists more organised crime, thugs, protection, racketing with the odd bomb to cover up their money making scams. They could of given up a long time ago as in essence they had won, but they will not as they have to many greedy members to support.
Old 17 March 2005, 01:21 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bangkok Matt
Didn't you know? Terrorism was only invented on 9/11/01. Dur!!
too true

When we had hostage situations in Iraq, Blair said "we under no circumstances negotiate with terrorists" Yeah right....we sit at the negotiating table with the IRA all the time.
Old 17 March 2005, 01:44 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
It's the romanticism of the Irish. Everyone seems to think they're great but really they're just the same as everyone else. For evidence see how many English people go out celebrating St Patrick's day tonight and stay in watching Eastenders as April 23rd slips by.
Too bl00dy true!

Oh well, at least 2 of us know the significance of that date I suppose.
Old 17 March 2005, 01:50 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

More people of Irish heritage and ancestry live in New York than the whole of Ireland!!!

Last summer, down on Lake Isabella, located in the high desert, an hour east of Bakersfield, CA, some folks, new to boating, were having a problem. No matter how hard they tried, they couldn't get their brand new 22 foot boat going. It was very sluggish in almost every maneuver, no matter how much power they applied. After about an hour of trying to make it go, they putted into a nearby marina, thinking someone there may be able to tell them what was wrong. A thorough topside check revealed everything in perfect working condition. The engine ran fine, the out-drive went up and down, and the propeller was the correct size and pitch. So, one of the marina guys jumped in the water to check underneath. He came up choking on water, he was laughing so hard.
NOW REMEMBER...THIS IS A TRUE STORY.

Under the boat, still strapped securely in place, was the trailer!

******* Septic Tanks!!!! (Yanks) Don't forget they love the colour blue. Blue on Blue!!!!
Old 17 March 2005, 02:13 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

[scratches head] i'd have thought you'd have been relieved that the wistful-auld-sod-brave-resistance-st-paddys-day-green-beer-and-shirehorses-in-the-backyard scales have at last fallen from their eyes. i am. the irish-american lobby has had a necklock on this end of US policy for decades. you can thank the dynasty of serial irish-american crooks called the kennedys for that.

it's taken domestic terror attacks and the mccartney family's behaviour to do it. but better late than never. wish blair would stop turning a blind eye and slap ASBOs on adams & mcguinness with immediate effect.

from a logical perspective, surely this change in official US policy is indicative of welcome realism rather than naivety?

at the risk of a standard HG reaction, you sound like a typical guardian "aren't the americans cretins" column by polly bloody toynbee.

no offence intended, hopefully non taken.
Old 17 March 2005, 02:58 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Of course I don't take offence if someone disagrees with me in a sensible debate (so rare on SN these days)

Of course I'm pleased to see the change in attitude but behind my post was a feeling of frustration that the Americans have taken so long to "see the light" and a question as to whether people like Kennedy and others knew the truth all along - and I suspect they did - and have just been playing politics. BTW I used in live in Washington DC and St Patrick's day was well and truly celebrated by many non Irish-Americans, mostly as an excuse for a good pi$$ up as far as I remember. Incidentally I don't read the Guardian and wouldn't know Polly whatsit from Dot in Eastenders
Old 17 March 2005, 03:12 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
Erm, Eastenders aint on the box on a saturday so there will probably more english people in the pubs on saturday the 23rd of April that what will be out tonight

Seriously thought only reason St Paddys day is celebrated because we are a nation of alcohol lovers and its just an excuse to go and get pi55ed because we have to drink guiness being Irish. If England had a national drink (does it? cant think of owt) then Im sure everyone would be out on St Georges day as an excuse to get hammered.
Old 17 March 2005, 03:13 PM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
If England had a national drink (does it? cant think of owt)
Carling? Even thats not saying much!!
Old 17 March 2005, 03:18 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Warm beer - at least that's what the Americans say!
Old 17 March 2005, 03:43 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

This is what got to me about the whole "War On Terrorism" thing. They harp on about the Middle East Terrorists but forget about the IRA! I seem to recall that New York is rather well known for being a little pro IRA (might be wrong though), which would be totally ironic if it does hold water.

It is odd that they see the IRA as "freedom fighters" and not the terrorists they are, but of course, they are a blinkered people, only believing what their government and CNN tells them.

An ex co-worker's father used to work for the CIA and he used to send her to summer camp every year (this was back in the mid 70's) and they used to have collections at the end of camp party. She recalls that most years they had a collection for the IRA as they were "oppressed" and "freedom fighters". What is wrong with this fools?

Maybe now they have woken up they will see that the IRA is not a bunch of friendly freedom fighting, softly voiced Irish chappies.

I've no love for the terrorist scum, never have done, never will do. Maybe I don't understand their "cause", no-one has really explained it to me, so possibly I'd have a different view if they did, but I doubt it. My uncle served a few tours of duty in NI and had a crack at the mick, and alas lost a few friends, and nearly himself on more than one occasion. That's not to say I hate the Irish, I don't, bit hard to as my Grandfather was Irish and I've got a few Irish relatives, but they are SI rather than NI so it's different really.

It will be interesting to see if Bush now decides to invade Ireland to stop the wave of terror, dozy pillock would probably **** it up and go to SI and nuke Dublin
Old 17 March 2005, 03:45 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Erm, Eastenders aint on the box on a saturday so there will probably more english people in the pubs on saturday the 23rd of April that what will be out tonight

Seriously thought only reason St Paddys day is celebrated because we are a nation of alcohol lovers and its just an excuse to go and get pi55ed because we have to drink guiness being Irish. If England had a national drink (does it? cant think of owt) then Im sure everyone would be out on St Georges day as an excuse to get hammered.
Picky git

I was making a point
Old 17 March 2005, 04:48 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

If England had a national drink (does it? cant think of owt)

Err think harder, more beers than any other nation on earth. Called real ale/bitter etc.

None of this processed chemical lager ****e (except the good czech ones of course )
Old 17 March 2005, 04:49 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Of course I don't take offence if someone disagrees with me in a sensible debate (so rare on SN these days)

Of course I'm pleased to see the change in attitude but behind my post was a feeling of frustration that the Americans have taken so long to "see the light" and a question as to whether people like Kennedy and others knew the truth all along - and I suspect they did - and have just been playing politics. BTW I used in live in Washington DC and St Patrick's day was well and truly celebrated by many non Irish-Americans, mostly as an excuse for a good pi$$ up as far as I remember. Incidentally I don't read the Guardian and wouldn't know Polly whatsit from Dot in Eastenders
that's alright then! the kennedy's used their irish roots purely politically and were instrumental in catalysing the irish-american constituency from large interest group into a hugely potent lobby. successive administrations have known exactly how potent and electorally powerful it is and have courted it to maximise votes. that has meant ignoring the unpleasant truth and allowing private fund-raisers like NORAID to flourish under threat of lost votes all across the eastern seaboard and amongst the influential hollywood set: opportunity cost, political hardball.

i reckon they've always seen the light but only since they've got up close and personal with terrorism have they appreciated that they can do the right thing about the shinners without jeopardising votes. and with teddy "how's my driving" kennedy on board, they can pull it off. about time too.

i'm glad you don't know who polly toynbee is. don't ruin your day by finding out. dreadful smug carping islington smartar5e. gimme dot cotton anyday.
Old 17 March 2005, 04:57 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Holy Ghost

........ and with teddy "how's my driving" kennedy.........

Forgotten that one! That would be Teddy "The Bridge" Kennedy? Chapaquidick? (spelling?).
Old 17 March 2005, 05:10 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Not related to another "How's my skiing" or "How's my flying" Kennedy, or even "How's my Presidency", oh no...
Old 17 March 2005, 05:46 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Hardly the luck of the Irish.........

Quick Reply: Americans and the IRA