Barcelona?

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2005, 12:47 PM
Remster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Barcelona?

Where to stay and where to eat?

I want to be on Las Ramblas and have been looking at Hotel Rivoli Ramblas (4*). It's a surprise romantic weekend away with the wife for our 1st anniversary so want to incorporate a fantastic meal on the Sat. night.

Any recommendations on either?

Thanks.

p.s. can't believe how much Easyjet want for the fights, £315!!! Budget airline? Pah.
Old 17 March 2005, 01:00 PM
RayC
Scooby Regular

Head into Sitges, fantastic old town on a harbour, always has festivals on too, only about 1 hour outside Barcelona, try Flybe for flights
Old 17 March 2005, 01:00 PM
Robert Rosario
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Remster
Where to stay and where to eat?

I want to be on Las Ramblas and have been looking at Hotel Rivoli Ramblas (4*). It's a surprise romantic weekend away with the wife for our 1st anniversary so want to incorporate a fantastic meal on the Sat. night.

Any recommendations on either?

Thanks.

p.s. can't believe how much Easyjet want for the fights, £315!!! Budget airline? Pah.
Well to eat, you really must find a restaurant called quattro gats, which basically translates to "four cats". Absolutely superb food, and not too expensive either. Any taxi driver will know where it is, supposedly Picasso used to eat there regularly, and the front of the restaurant looks like the cafe from Allo Allo, but once you get out the back, this fantastic restaurant opens up, and the food is brilliant. Budget about £100 for two of you and bottle of wine, which is worth every penny.

Re accommodation, La Ramblas is OK, but would look just off it if possible, as hotels actually on it, are not great. A nice one off Placa De Catalunya, would be better in my opinion.

Either way, you will love it. Great place. Have fun!
Old 17 March 2005, 01:21 PM
anc-sti
Scooby Regular

I'll second that Four Cats is brill is in the old part of Barca, in the Jewish area. The Spainish eat late so it gets busy after about 9.30 you may have to book a table if you want to eat late(worth it IMO more atmosphere). Fantastic place TBO is hard to find a bad restaurant. Have fun.

I don't stay on the Ramblas either, the Hotels are too touristy. Theres a good one near 'Casa Mila' on the other side of the road on a corner, can't recall its name at the mo. Its four star but not that expensive.
Old 17 March 2005, 01:27 PM
D0ctorWho
BANNED

Sitges is a great place to stay if you want to save money and avoid rip off merchants.

As for Barcelona itself you'll need to pay a fair bit to get something nice. Can't recommend any as I always stay in Sitges with all the Spanish folk in the know.
Old 17 March 2005, 01:32 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

I love Barcelona. It's my favourite place in the whole wide world I hope you both have a great time!!

I stayed at Gran Hotel Barcina (it was very nice) - its on Jaume 1 which is walking distance from Las Ramblas and right next to the town hall. In fact, it's close to everything!!

It is very easy to get around on the metro (nowhere near as daunting as the London underground!), it's cheap, quick and fun if you don't fancy walking to the farther away places
Old 17 March 2005, 02:53 PM
Remster
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the info.

I know that Las Ramblas hotels aren't the best in the City but I just love the area. I have been to Barcelona before on business and stayed at the Hotel Gotico which is near the cathedral just down from Town Hall (Jaume 1). It was shocking and supposedly a 4* so I guess it's a gamble. I think i'll book the Rivoli Ramblas (4*) as it's ideally located, looks cool and I can't find a bad review about it on the web.

Any further restaurant recommendations? I will deffinately hunt down Quattro Gats which sounds nice. A colleague of mine was raving about a very expensive fish restaurant but he can't tell me names or where in the city.

I've tried all the other budget airlines for flights but can't get the departure times req'd. I guess it's so pricey as we're flying out Fri. lunch and returning Sun. evening. However, i'd rather pay the extra than travel at stupidly early/late hrs.

Trending Topics

Old 17 March 2005, 04:45 PM
anc-sti
Scooby Regular

Theres a good seafood restaurant by the marina 'Port Vell'.

Here you go its got is own website

http://www.merenderodelamari.com/

Last edited by anc-sti; 17 March 2005 at 04:54 PM.
Old 17 March 2005, 05:55 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Hotel Del Pi (3*) just off the ramblas in the gothic quarter is pretty good

don't stay in the majestic on passage de gracia - ripoff 5* poo.

tripadvisor.com is pretty good.
Old 17 March 2005, 05:59 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

I'll second that fish restaurant (obviously you'd need to like seafood!)

I'd also recommend El Gran Cafe which was excellent
http://www.hiptravelguide.com/spain/reviews-32.html
Old 17 March 2005, 06:33 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

ahh, went there 2 weeks ago. no way near my favourite place in the world though, where you been!?!?

i probaly had a slightly different prospective though as i was staying in a hostel for a start!

my flights were £50 return with Ryan Air.

some places were $9euro for a half litre beer, fe(king rip off! $7/8 for a vodka coke. knew buying vodka to drink at the hostel was a good idea!