Xvid Playback Problems

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2005, 08:51 PM
cactus jim
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xvid Playback Problems

Hey all you downloaders.

I have one of these cheap chinese standalone dvd players that play all the xvid and divx films. Doshima is the name. surprisingly google cant help.

i have not had any problems with the films i have burnt to cd or DVD until today, Layer cake is really screwed up, dodgy scratchy sound and all sorts going wrong. unwatchable.

Works fine on my pc, and all the other movies on the DVD-RW work fine, its just that film on that machine. is there a way of upgrading the firmware? cant seem to see anything regarding codecs in the menu.

mmm, really puzzling!!

anyone got any ideas?

please no abuse from the holier than thou crew, its out there, i use it!!
Old 15 March 2005, 09:03 PM
mal
Scooby Regular

Question

Got the same prob mate,layer cake wont play on my liteon player but fine on the pc,tried the firmware update from liteonit,still wont play.

Mal
Old 15 March 2005, 09:11 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

>please no abuse from the holier than thou crew, its out there, i use it!!

Great attitude! Where do you park your car? Where's your house? Bugger spending money on my own transport and lodging whist yours is out there.

Enjoy your life of petty crime, perhaps you'll move up to shoplifting some popcorn to go with your movie. Please boast about that on a public bulletin board as well.
Old 15 March 2005, 09:17 PM
cactus jim
Scooby Regular

yeah yeah jack your right i am wrong i wont be doing it anymore cos your reasoning is so bang on and its bad and i am bragging cos i want everyone in the world to know, blah blah blah.......
Old 15 March 2005, 09:26 PM
richie rich
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by JackClark
>please no abuse from the holier than thou crew, its out there, i use it!!

Great attitude! Where do you park your car? Where's your house? Bugger spending money on my own transport and lodging whist yours is out there.

Enjoy your life of petty crime, perhaps you'll move up to shoplifting some popcorn to go with your movie. Please boast about that on a public bulletin board as well.
lol, im sure that was you on ebay, did you not buy a standalone 1-9 acard copier!!!
Old 15 March 2005, 09:33 PM
cactus jim
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mal
Got the same prob mate,layer cake wont play on my liteon player but fine on the pc,tried the firmware update from liteonit,still wont play.

Mal
so what do you think might be causing the problem, are new films having better protection?

is your layer cake "[Movie] Layer Cake DVDRip XviD LRC .avi"
Old 15 March 2005, 09:36 PM
richie rich
Scooby Regular

Wink

i got layer cake , you want copy, pm me ill post to you,
Originally Posted by cactus jim
so what do you think might be causing the problem, are new films having better protection?

is your layer cake "[Movie] Layer Cake DVDRip XviD LRC .avi"
Old 15 March 2005, 09:49 PM
richie rich
Scooby Regular

thanks.
Old 15 March 2005, 10:18 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

You could always try the trick of loading it into VirtualDub, setting Audio and Video to "Direct Stream Copy" and then saving it out as a new file.

This ensures that the AVI headers and whatnot are ok.

Failing that, just re-encode it.

Now if anyone can tell me how to fix my legally perfect, legitimate American DVD to stop it crashing on Pioneer, Sony and Toshiba players (mastering error) so that I don't have to watch it on the PC, I'd appreciate it
Old 15 March 2005, 10:51 PM
cactus jim
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lum
You could always try the trick of loading it into VirtualDub, setting Audio and Video to "Direct Stream Copy" and then saving it out as a new file.

This ensures that the AVI headers and whatnot are ok.

Failing that, just re-encode it.
i just tried that, it sorted out the jumpy sound but made it about 15 seconds delayed and highlighted a jumpy picture, however as it works perfectly on my pc, i think its a codec thing? how do you upgrade codecs on a standalone dvd player?
Old 15 March 2005, 11:07 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cactus jim
i just tried that, it sorted out the jumpy sound but made it about 15 seconds delayed and highlighted a jumpy picture, however as it works perfectly on my pc, i think its a codec thing? how do you upgrade codecs on a standalone dvd player?
That will be the firmware upgrade :P

You could just encode it into something other than XVid. You'll lose quality, but you're going to be watching it on a TV so probably wont notice anyway.

Doom9 have advice on doing all this, but if you're going from one AVI format to another you can just use VirtualDub as above, but instead of "Direct Stream Copy" you choose "Full Reprocessing" or whatever it's called and then pick DivX at a similar bitrate to the original. You may or may not want to redo the audio as well, but it's usually not worth it.
Old 16 March 2005, 11:09 AM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

It could be it has a packed bitrate. I used to get stuttering on my avi files (ones that played fine on the PC but not on my standalone DVD player). Download this - http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=680 (you'll need the .NEt framework installed to run it - but there's a link for that there too)

Load up the file using this, if it has a packed bitrate, check the box the unpack it and then save the new file. Takes about 2 minutes to redo it. Saying that, I dl LayerCake from the newsgroups and the audio is about 10 seconds out.