Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

SPECS cameras in London make £84000!

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2005, 06:00 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPECS cameras in London make £84000!

From todays Daily Express (which I don't buy!)

The new SPECS cameras on Lower Thames Street near Tower Bridge have made £84,000 in the first three weeks of their use, £4k a day!

I drive through there everyday, twice, and it's really hard to stick to the limit, not everyone sees the SPECS so you have people right up your @rse if you stick to 20, and a few times I have forgotten and gone through at 30ish so hoping not to get the brown envelope!

The section drops from 30 to 20 and back to 30 within about 800 yards, and is supposed to be in use for 18months during contruction work. There is no visible construction work going on as far as I can tell!

Can't find a link to the story......
Old 14 March 2005, 07:03 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

I have to do it every day as well.
Its really frustrating for the above reasons, but the worst part about it was about a month before they went up I saw Ken Livingstone on the train home. on his own as well. I couldnt think of anything to say to him so I didnt. God help him if I see him again though...
astraboy.
Old 15 March 2005, 08:44 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Putting a SPECS camera there is a good thing IMO.

I work near there and cross Lower Thames Street every day. I've seen way too many bullet heads think it's cool to go racing along that section of road and around that sweeping bend just past Great Tower Street, slamming the anchors on just before the Gatso. I'm surprised I've not heard of anyone being badly injured or killed yet, as there are multiple road junctions (some of them semi-concealed) and pedestrians crossing the road at most times of day.

Gary.
Old 15 March 2005, 09:14 PM
Bottomfeeder
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by GCollier

I work near there and cross Lower Thames Street every day. I've seen way too many bullet heads think it's cool to go racing along that section of road and around that sweeping bend just past Great Tower Street, slamming the anchors on just before the Gatso. I'm surprised I've not heard of anyone being badly injured or killed yet, as there are multiple road junctions (some of them semi-concealed) and pedestrians crossing the road at most times of day.

Gary.
Try pulling in or out of Cousins lane on a weekend, or the NCP .... fapppin russian roulette(sp?)
Old 15 March 2005, 09:49 PM
capita
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GCollier

Gary.
Gary are you a Numpty? (No offence but I think you are taking the pi$$)Speed Cameras dont stop you getting run over..they simply make money for the traffic taleban. I'm suprised someone who thinks SPECS is a good thing is a supporter of scoobynet.

Best we all enjoy what little speeding we can do, we will all be charged by the mile, speed monitored from the second we pull off our drives, dont worry its about 9 years off at the moment, I should know as my firm is developing it for Mr Blairs lot!
Old 15 March 2005, 10:43 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Nah he's not a numpty - just someone who sees public roads as a place where safety comes before boy racers getting their thrills at the risk of other people. If the road is as he says it is with pedestrians everywhere and semi concealed entrances then specs should be there - you only get fined if you break the law - you shouldnt 'enjoy' speeding on public roads like that - grow up and get on a track...
Oh and SN is fantastic - only occasionally spoilt by the high and mighty speed condoners for whom I'm unable to wind my neck in...
Old 15 March 2005, 11:02 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Capita,

I am not advocating blanket use of SPECS. All I can say is you clearly have no knowledge of the road in question. If you were familiar with Lower Thames Street you would realise how clueless you sound when you talk about "enjoying speeding" in this instance.

Gary.
Old 16 March 2005, 08:42 AM
marky1
Scooby Regular

Well my cousin was run over on that exact road 18 months ago and was very nearly killed. The driver did a runner. They sent the HEMS doctors in their Subaru to her and I suspect that may be the only reason she lived, she got good care very quickly. anyway, she spent months in Hospital and took 18 months to recover/get back to work etc. Look I'm not a huge fan of speed cameras but in some places they are needed. Right in the centre of London, busy area, I don't think most reasonable people mind a few cameras - shouldn't really be the kind of area one speeds in. Just my two cents worth.
Old 16 March 2005, 09:12 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

None of the 1400 people who got caught slowed down

If the cameras aren't advertised then their local effect is limited. Yes they have a long term effect at reducing speed when the points kick in, but they should be used to reduce speeds more effectively. I guess a lot of people are ignorant of what SPECS is and a NIP will not help to educate them as to how they were caught
Old 16 March 2005, 10:15 AM
marky1
Scooby Regular

Maybe 14000 did
Old 16 March 2005, 10:23 AM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Specs making money....

Don't speed then???
Old 16 March 2005, 10:35 AM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Don't get me started

SPECS in Nottingham raised 2.8 million quid last year alone, they are fcukin everywhere. Road deaths actually INCREASED last year and all the figures indicate what we already knew. Speed alone does not kill.
Women over the age of 42 were the "Cause" of most accidents with men under the age of 25 coming in second. The 3rd most dangerous group was OAPs.
Specs cameras assume that everyone "can" drive at a given speed for a given distance. Fact remains, the longer that distance, the greater the chance of an error. The 10% rule totally goes out of the window (NIP's for doing 43 in a 40 are quite common in Nott'm) I feel sorry for the folk who come off of the motorway after spending say half hour maybe longer doing 70-90mph then go past me at 45 on a dual carriageway totally unaware that they are going to get done. It's an outrage
Before you oiks start on about "well they should abide by the speed limits" You try it, do a decent stint on the motorway, cruise at 70 and then come off and cruise on a road that is the same size at 40. NOT A SINGLE MPH MORE. It's really bloody hard. Trust me.
I've only got three points on my licence by the way, which are due to come off in November, I guess that means i've slowed down but the fact i'm no longer 25 probably has more to do with it
Old 16 March 2005, 10:41 AM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

So they go from 30% over the limit to 50% over and clearly don't have a speedo fitted.
Old 16 March 2005, 11:27 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by astraboy
I saw Ken Livingstone on the train home. on his own as well. I couldnt think of anything to say to him so I didnt.
Actions speak louder than words..... it wouldve been worth the sore nuckles...

Hate that to$ser - just the sort of Mayor Bliar would want for London (despite him saying otherwise, but then not like you can believe anything he says anyway). Knows how to pis$ everyone off who drives a car etc, but goes soft on immigrants etc.