Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gun safety

This is rather funny.
Old 14 March 2005, 08:40 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Im not altogether sure what it was; but as the slide was locked then surely the magazine was empty, as a round would release it, would it not? This would imply that a round was placed into the breech making it deliberate rather than stupid; considering that his point was 'you have accidents with guns' this would make sense.

Simon (Sheffield Militia)
Old 14 March 2005, 08:58 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I guess it could well have been a "even a trained professional can have an accident" however, somehow I don't think it was his intention to harm himself.
Old 14 March 2005, 09:34 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

blank in the chamber to scare the kids - not even americans are that stupid
Old 14 March 2005, 09:41 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mj
blank in the chamber to scare the kids
My thoughts....
Originally Posted by mj
- not even americans are that stupid
Not my thoughts....
Old 14 March 2005, 10:23 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

LOL @ "I am the only one in the room professional enough to handle this gun"

Apart from obviously not checking the breech properly he broke 3 important rules:

1) Treated a gun as if it was unloaded
2) Handled it with his finger on the trigger
3) Pointed it in an unsafe direction

According to this:

http://www.rednova.com/news/display/?id=56868

Its a true video and he did actually blat himself in the leg with it too! He took it surprisingly well I thought!
Old 14 March 2005, 10:33 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

The pressure from the muzzle can kill; I bet it hurt. I did reply to Markus but VBulletin went ****-up and lost it. Automatic pistols (usually) lock in the open position after ejecting the last spent case. When a magazine with at least one round is inserted its usual for the action to release and slide forward collecting the round and moving it to the chamber. This is why I assumed that his actions were (somewhat) deliberate because if the magazine was loaded; beside being too stupid to describe, the action would have released chambering the round when it was inserted: so I assume that a single blank was inserted into the chamber before the pistol was handed to him... But as I said in my lost reply, not all pistols operate in the same manner; for a start, not all models lock open on empty; perhaps he was a fool?

Simon (I learned this from TV because thats as close to a real gun as a politically-correct person should allow themselves to get...)
Old 14 March 2005, 10:36 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
LOL @ "I am the only one in the room professional enough to handle this gun"

Apart from obviously not checking the breech properly he broke 3 important rules:

1) Treated a gun as if it was unloaded
2) Handled it with his finger on the trigger
3) Pointed it in an unsafe direction

According to this:

http://www.rednova.com/news/display/?id=56868

Its a true video and he did actually blat himself in the leg with it too! He took it surprisingly well I thought!

Im not familiar with this model of Glock; but Im assuming that he took the safety off too, as Im sure that cycling the action will engage it... All highly unlikely.

Old 14 March 2005, 10:44 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

You can lock the slide back at any time by pushing the slide release catch upwards as you draw the slide back. If there is no magazine inserted, or a magazine containing one round or more this is the only way to lock the slide back. As you say though, the most likely scenario is that there was a round in the breech all along, and the news reports seem to imply it wasn't a blank! It would have definitely hurt!

ajm (former pistol shooter before the sport was criminalised )
Old 14 March 2005, 10:48 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I appreciate this Alex; it possible that the magazine had one or more rounds in, either blank or not; and that the slide was locked, although the rounds would be more readily visible which I assume he didnt want. Its impossible to know what the fool intended, I was trying to apply a little common sense to the problem; which is more than he did!

Simon (I never shot pistols Tony, you hear me, nutters the lot of them!)
Old 14 March 2005, 10:51 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Im not familiar with this model of Glock; but Im assuming that he took the safety off too, as Im sure that cycling the action will engage it... All highly unlikely.

The Glock is quite well known for ND's (negligent discharges) because there is no external hammer that can be uncocked manually and there is no conventional safety catch either!
Old 14 March 2005, 10:53 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

It would seem he is guilty of overfamiliarity with guns. The "I'm so used to handling guns I can afford to be sloppy" attitude. I've seen negligent discharge reports involving soldiers and it makes scary reading. After inexperienced recruits, the people most likely to have accidents with guns are very experienced soldiers, especially ones that have been handling live rounds for some time, eg in Northern Ireland.

That someone who doesn't seem to practice the most basic of Normal Safety Precautions with weapons is teaching weapon safety to kids is extremely scary. At the ranges concerned he could have killed several people with one bullet. Absolute fecking idiot.

Last edited by Jerome; 14 March 2005 at 10:56 PM.
Old 14 March 2005, 10:53 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

How do you make it safe then? Is there a squeeze safety on it?
Old 14 March 2005, 10:57 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
How do you make it safe then? Is there a squeeze safety on it?
Yeah, I think there is some mechanism to lock the firing pin until the trigger is right back, so it guards against it going off accidentally when dropped etc... but it doesn't offer any defence against muppets squeezing the trigger when they shouldn't!

The only way to make them safe is to remove the mag, operate the slide to eject any remaining round from the breech and visually inspect the bore. The only way to release the hammer is to dry fire!

Personally I think they are ****e, because safety issues aside they are apallingly balanced, very flicky and completely inaccurate.... so it shouldn't surprise us that several UK police forces have started using them (model 17's)
Old 14 March 2005, 11:11 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I never 'got' the Glock thing; people seemed to be fascinated by their ability to pass through airport security screening; which they couldnt do; well the polymer frame could but that was all,: and their reputation just carried on growing. They seem to be favoured by 'gangstas' now as expemsive guns are 'bling'. Perhaps SO19 will be shooting 'gangsta-style' with the piece canted over 45 degrees too?

Id sooner depend on a SIG-Sauer; now theres a nice pistol...

Slim Simon
Old 15 March 2005, 12:39 AM
Vipa
Scooby Regular

If you pay attention to: a) the audience and b) the Officers partner standing just out of camera shot to the right you would realise first of all that this is a demonstration by the police to junior school aged kids and as such is presented that way, hence the reason the officer says 'I'm the only one qualified to handle this gun etc....." he is trying to be entertaining to 9/10 year olds.

You will also notice that he did follow procedure correctly and got his partner to confirm that the chamber was clear (which it obviously wasn't). It was obviously a blank as a) if a live 9mm round went off in a small room like that those at the front would have suffered hearing damage and b) if a live round had been discharged into or near to his leg he certainly wouldn't be carrying on with the lecture and claiming that he wouldn't be able to talk about guns again (also look at the smiles coming from the parents faces near the back of the classroom!)

The scene was a deliberate ploy to show how easy it is to have an accident with a gun and is something the US Police take toa all schools... Thank Christ they don't need to do it in this country.

Ref the gun.... The Glock gained it's fame/reputation from the movie Die Hard 2, where the baddies got through security with a Glock 7!!! which was apparently ceramic so didn't set the alarms off!!!!!!! b@llocks... anyway who needs ceramic handguns (which don't exist)... you could probably get through security with any type of gun without much trouble! The Glock is the favoured weapon of the German Police and yes it does have a safety. The internal hammer can be released without discharging a round otherwise once cocked the weapon would not be able to be made safe. (I can't remember how it works though)

Inserting a magazine into a semi auto pistol does not automatically cycle the weapon, the slide release button needs to be pushed to do that (under left thumb on a right handed gun). Relasing the slide also chambers the first round automatically. The slide on all semi auto handguns automatically lock back after the last round is spent, thus speeding up reload time dramatically...

Out of interest the favoured weapon manufacturer of the UK special forces... RMP Close Protection (Queens bodyguard etc...) is Heckler & Kock, although those boys get to choose whatever they want as do quite a few of the Police armed response units. AFAIK the standard issue sidearm for the RMP hasn't changed since I was in and that is the trusty (crap) Browning 9mm.

Paul
(Ex RMP, Ex Sec 1 firearms licence holder and ex very proud Beretta 92FS owner!)

Last edited by Vipa; 15 March 2005 at 12:45 AM.
Old 15 March 2005, 02:05 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Vipa/Paul,

He was doing a very convincing impression of someone who had been injured.

You may be right, and it may have been a blank, but even blanks have a safety distance. Deliberately letting off even a blank in a classroom full of kids is an extremely reckless and dangerous way of teaching firearm safety. How could someone respect the word of someone who - apparently - can't practice what he is preaching.

Would you impressed with a driving instructor who crashes whilst demonstrating how to drive safely?

Jerome.
(Ex Infantry, Royal Engineers and ex Skill at Arms Instructor )
Old 15 March 2005, 07:13 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vipa
You will also notice that he did follow procedure correctly and got his partner to confirm that the chamber was clear (which it obviously wasn't). It was obviously a blank as a) if a live 9mm round went off in a small room like that those at the front would have suffered hearing damage and b) if a live round had been discharged into or near to his leg he certainly wouldn't be carrying on with the lecture and claiming that he wouldn't be able to talk about guns again (also look at the smiles coming from the parents faces near the back of the classroom!)
I reiterate, the news stories suggest it was not a blank!

http://www.washtimes.com/upi-breakin...0313-2463r.htm

The Glock is the favoured weapon of the German Police and yes it does have a safety.
As I said above, there is no conventional manual safety catch on the Glock. It has a trigger operated safety catch, and hence does not protect against a muppet's accidental use of the trigger!

The internal hammer can be released without discharging a round otherwise once cocked the weapon would not be able to be made safe. (I can't remember how it works though)
As I said above, the only way to uncock a Glock is to dry fire, which is fine if you have checked the chamber correctly!
Old 15 March 2005, 07:35 AM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

Out of interest the favoured weapon manufacturer of the UK special forces... RMP Close Protection (Queens bodyguard etc...) is Heckler & Kock,
....Sig sauer and are you classing RMP CP as special forces?(!)

although those boys get to choose whatever they want.....
Not on any CP tour I've heard of...

AFAIK the standard issue sidearm for the RMP hasn't changed since I was in and that is the trusty (crap) Browning 9mm.
Correct...
Old 15 March 2005, 10:13 AM
Vipa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jerome
Vipa/Paul,

He was doing a very convincing impression of someone who had been injured.

You may be right, and it may have been a blank, but even blanks have a safety distance. Deliberately letting off even a blank in a classroom full of kids is an extremely reckless and dangerous way of teaching firearm safety. How could someone respect the word of someone who - apparently - can't practice what he is preaching.

Would you impressed with a driving instructor who crashes whilst demonstrating how to drive safely?

Jerome.
(Ex Infantry, Royal Engineers and ex Skill at Arms Instructor )
Chances are it was just a primer cap.... If a live round had gone off in there or even a full load blank that room would have been full of screaming childeren... the sound pressure near the discharge would have caused hearing damage preceeded by pain... check out the smiling parents AFTER the gun goes off.

Also.... if you were infantry you would know that whilst on blank firing excersise your weapon (SLR in my day, SA80 now) was fitted with a bright yellow muzzle attachment... this was for 2 reasons... 1. to help the weapon cycle, as with no round going through the barrel a blank would struggle to cycle the weapon due to lack of pressure and 2. to stop any injuries or powder burns if the weapon was discharged at close quaters. If the handgun was intended as a school demo weapon to teach kids about gun safety then the muzzle will probably be blocked up... in fact it's probably a replica rather than the real thing... a 9 year old isn't going to know the difference, to be honest most adults wouldn't either.

I go back to the ABSOLUTE lack of panick in the room following the discharge (replaced by smirks and laughter!!!) the ABSOLUTE lack of screaming kids (I've shot enough handguns on indoor ranges to know how painful it is when you forget to put your ear defenders on... outdoors is a different matter) and also the fact that the officer's partner confirms his weapon clear after the officer himself checks it.... wouldn't happen....

You are reading far too much into this and apart from anything else........

Do you honestly think any police force in the world would allow a handgun demonstration to take place in a classroom of small children using LIVE ammunition............ I think not!!!!!!

PS in reference to:

"Deliberately letting off even a blank in a classroom full of kids is an extremely reckless and dangerous way of teaching firearm safety. How could someone respect the word of someone who - apparently - can't practice what he is preaching."

That was the whole point of the excersise to show how easy it is for accidents to happen...... the best way to get a kid to remember something like that is to make it exciting... telling the room that it might go bang won't achieve anything!

Paul
Old 15 March 2005, 10:20 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ajm
Yeah, I think there is some mechanism to lock the firing pin until the trigger is right back, so it guards against it going off accidentally when dropped etc... but it doesn't offer any defence against muppets squeezing the trigger when they shouldn't!

The only way to make them safe is to remove the mag, operate the slide to eject any remaining round from the breech and visually inspect the bore. The only way to release the hammer is to dry fire!

Personally I think they are ****e, because safety issues aside they are apallingly balanced, very flicky and completely inaccurate.... so it shouldn't surprise us that several UK police forces have started using them (model 17's)
The main reason for police forces using the Glock range of pistols is their reliability - they can fire 3 times more rounds before anything fails than most other pistols.
They have 3 safetys (trigger, firing pin and drop safety) but all hinge on the gimp behind the trigger ! I have made exactly the same mistake as this guy but with a Glock-17, didn't realise there was one up the spout and dry-fired into the floor - I nearly shat my pants.

You will also notice that he did follow procedure correctly and got his partner to confirm that the chamber was clear
Correct procedure is always to check the weapon yourself !!
Old 15 March 2005, 10:22 AM
Vipa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Taff107
....Sig sauer and are you classing RMP CP as special forces?(!)

Not on any CP tour I've heard of...

Correct...
Give me a break Taff I came out of the force 18 years ago... at that point the CP boys (and I knew quite a few) almost had carte blanche as to weapon choice... the favourite was apparently H&K (I wasn't CP... was going down the SIB route before I got totally p@ssed off and bought myself out)

With ref to RMP CP being SF... I suppose it's down to your point of view.... ok technically they aren't SF but they are the armed guys in the suits with the little earpieces in who protect the queen, the PM, foriegn dinatories & VIPs.... how special do they need to be?

Paul
Old 15 March 2005, 10:35 AM
Vipa
Scooby Regular

Just as an additional note.... just watched the vid again........

He goes on to demonstrate an assault rifle AFTER he's just shot himself in the thigh.......... Come on.....

Did you notice that his partner didn't even flinch when it happened... did you notice that the other helpers in the room just carried on about thier business... no one rushing to see if he was ok... SET UP for the kids.

I don't doubt the validity of the Washington Times article but it didn't go on to say that he had been thrown off the force for using live ammo in a classroom full of kids.... cos it should have!!!!! May have been a separate incident...

Really not convinced.

Also... I'm really not interested in a p@ssing competition here "I know more about guns than you do" there are people on here who obviously know far more than me!

Paul
Old 15 March 2005, 11:06 AM
King RA
BANNED

if you watch when the gun goes off it doesn't look as though it is pointing at his leg.
Old 15 March 2005, 11:16 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think that was a clever teaching ploy to really get the point home. Nothing better than convincing people that anyone can make a stupid mistake and it made them all wake up too.

I used to use similar "mistake" type ploys when I was teaching people to fly aircraft. There is always a time when you are learning and you think you have got the business "hacked" and that is when you make the fatal mistake.

Its a good thing to show something that sticks in the mind for later.

Les
Old 15 March 2005, 11:20 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I suppose at the end of the day there is no way of proving whether this video is authentic, or that it is the same event as mentioned in the news story, but if you watch it in full screen mode around the 55 second mark you can just make out the shell casing being ejected, so the slide definitely operated. Whether or not it was a blank firer we cannot tell, but to me it look like it was pointing as if to graze his left hip area at the instant it went off.
Old 15 March 2005, 12:45 PM
Vipa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
I suppose at the end of the day there is no way of proving whether this video is authentic, or that it is the same event as mentioned in the news story, but if you watch it in full screen mode around the 55 second mark you can just make out the shell casing being ejected, so the slide definitely operated. Whether or not it was a blank firer we cannot tell, but to me it look like it was pointing as if to graze his left hip area at the instant it went off.
If it ejected a case it can't have been just a percussion cap.. so must have been a blank...
Old 15 March 2005, 12:53 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

If it ejected a case it can't have been just a percussion cap.. so must have been a blank...
or a live round....