Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Local knowledge help please - Brixton

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2005, 09:26 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Local knowledge help please - Brixton

My 17 year old son and 3 mates have got tickets for a gig in Brixton this Sunday; The Mars Volta (?). I am just a country bumpkin now living about 30 mins south of Gatwick and slightly concerned about how they are going to get home. I've suggested they get a black cab to Victoria and then jump on the Gatwick Express and I can collect. But will there be cabs around in Brixton late on a Sunday night or should they think about the tube and does this run through the night? I used to live in Herne Hill many years ago and midnight in Brixton was not a tourist recommendation but has it changed for the better? Thanks, David
Old 09 March 2005, 09:36 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Tubes stop running around 00:30 - 01:00, so depends what time the gig finishes. There are night buses that run all night. Should be able to find a dodgy mini-cab somewhere round Brixton, they don't normally rip you off too much. Brixton isn't anywhere near as dodgy as it was years ago.

Been to a few all night gigs at the Brixton Academy, never had to worry about getting the last train home, just got the first one in the morning instead Don't think I'd cope with it these days, I need my sleep
Old 09 March 2005, 09:42 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks Graz, sorry if this is naive question but how does he get a mini-cab - just try and find a cab office somewhere as I assume they don't have ranks like a black cab? May be I should just suggest the tube as I expect gig will finish before midnight.
Old 09 March 2005, 09:51 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Get to Clapham Junction or East Croydon. From there you can get trains to Sussex (Horsham, Gatwick Airport etc.). Alternatively you'll have to get to Victoria (use the Victoria line from Brixton, 4 stops) and get the Gatwick Express as it doesn't stop at any of the intermediate stations.

How you get to these places? Bus/Nightbus is one way, Mini-cab is another (find a mini-cab office, shouldn't be a problem finding one) or Black cab (hail one on the street, usually a few around although harder the later it is). DON'T get a mini-cab that's unlicenced (they'll usually be toting for business) as many are unlicenced(of course), non-mot'd, uninsured, don't speak much english, mug/rape you, overcharged, don't know where they're going etc. Probably OK if there's 3/4 blokes in your party but safer not to bother.

All in all, probably easiest to tube to victoria and train from there.

Last edited by Dracoro; 09 March 2005 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09 March 2005, 10:09 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Hey - that's all very useful. Thanks a lot David
Old 09 March 2005, 10:13 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

May sound dumb, but check the train times. ISTR the last train leaving Charing Cross for Hastings was 23.30 - you won't make it out of Brixton for that unless you're pretty swift! Gatwick Express miiiight be later, but not sure...
Old 09 March 2005, 10:29 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Hi Brendan, Yep I've done quite a bit of nationalrail.co.uk searching and being a Sunday night doesn't help much. Last train Victoria to Horsham is around 22.30 which is no bloody good but Gatwick Express runs much later so that should do. Just found out that concert starts at 7.00 pm so I guess it won't be too late finishing. David
Old 09 March 2005, 10:45 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't count on it - I've been to concerts that start at 2pm and finish at 11pm! (Wembley Stadium, Milton Keynes etc). Depends how many bands are involved.

If Sunday night, plan on waiting 20 mins for a tube train to arrive also
Old 09 March 2005, 10:49 AM
Vette_76
Scooby Regular

Location: On Mars...in a cave....with my eyes shut....and my fingers in my ears!!

Originally Posted by David Lock
Hi Brendan, Yep I've done quite a bit of nationalrail.co.uk searching and being a Sunday night doesn't help much. Last train Victoria to Horsham is around 22.30 which is no bloody good but Gatwick Express runs much later so that should do. Just found out that concert starts at 7.00 pm so I guess it won't be too late finishing. David

Trains run all night from Victoria (last frequent one is the Redhill train at 00:14, after that they're on the hour every hour 'til morning) - stopping at Clapham Junction, East Croydon, Purley and Gatwick (I end up on one most nights!!) - if he can get a cab to Clapham he be fine!!

You'll have to pick him up from Gatwick though!!

(edited 'cos I can't spell!!!)
Old 09 March 2005, 11:35 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Thanks Graz, sorry if this is naive question but how does he get a mini-cab - just try and find a cab office somewhere as I assume they don't have ranks like a black cab? May be I should just suggest the tube as I expect gig will finish before midnight.
Think there's a few in Brixton, been a few years since I've been, usually have flashing lights on the outside with a minicab sign

Tube is probably the best bet provided it doesn't finish too late.
Old 09 March 2005, 11:53 AM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

If you're kids are like mine then just resign yourself to the fact that all those carefully laid plans will go out the window and you'll get a call at 2am to come and pick them up from Brixton - oh and can you drop of all their mates as well
Old 09 March 2005, 12:10 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bartop
If you're kids are like mine then just resign yourself to the fact that all those carefully laid plans will go out the window and you'll get a call at 2am to come and pick them up from Brixton - oh and can you drop of all their mates as well

Yep too true. I just hope it's not from the police station, A&E, the local drugs den or the VD clinic though!!

Trouble is he's turning out to be a bit like I was at his age which is NOT a good sign
Old 09 March 2005, 01:53 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Victoria is only 4 tubes stops away. The Tube is probably quicker, cheaper and easier to get than a cab. Bear in mind hundreds of people pile out of the place at the same time and the chances of getting a cab are slim. I wouldn't recommend minicabs as half of them are illegal and the chances of being ripped off are much greater.

I used to live in Pimlico and went to many concerts at the Brixton academy with my gf. I never felt threatened any more than I would in any UK town centre late at night.

As long as he leaves the concert and gets straight on the Tube, he will be fine - safety in numbers and all that. There are always lots of police lurking about late at night as well. Take normal precautions to avoid pick pockets, don't wear an expensive watch, don't eyeball low lifes etc.

As mentioned before, the Gatwick Express runs all night, so no problem there. If he has a return ticket, make sure he gets on the correct train at Victoria. Some trains going to Gatwick aren't Gatwick Express trains (or the same company) and his ticket will not be valid (cue buying another ticket and possible penalty fare).

Edited to say: I'm pretty sure the Tube makes sure the run trains late enough for any concerts in Brixton. Should be fairly easy to check - ring 020 72 22 12 34.

Last edited by Jerome; 09 March 2005 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09 March 2005, 02:23 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks Jerome (and others). Good point about getting the correct Gatwick train - hadn't thought of that. Since found out that there are some lateish trains that go to Horsham which is better for me to collect. Fortunately he is not into flash watches and will only be taking a bit of well hidden dosh and a cheap mobile. Here I am worrying about him like feckin mother hen and when I was a kid I lived just outside Washington DC and used to hitchhike back from downtown clubs at 4 in the morning. Sad or what I used to keep a couple of bucks in my top pocket for the muggers and the rest in my socks!! Saved my bacon once though when a guy built like the guy in the "A" Team picked me up and asked for a contribution for his gas