AA, RAC or Green Flag....?

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2005, 11:06 PM
Ga555a
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AA, RAC or Green Flag....?

Hi All,

Looking at taking out breakdown cover but unsure which one of the big 3 to go for....

Really only looking for rescue/recovery, dont need any that home start nonsense. Could do with being covered when i'm driving my missus car as well...

Any one got opinions, pro, cons, etc...?

Cheers,

Gazza...
Old 09 March 2005, 12:07 AM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

I think there all pretty much the same, the only difference is cost, the only thing i do know about the AA is if you ride a motobike, there not too keen to move them if you have an accident or breakdown.
Old 09 March 2005, 12:48 AM
speedcrazy
Scooby Regular

greenflag or RAC would be the best for just recovery i think
Old 09 March 2005, 01:11 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Britannia Rescue

Last edited by David Lock; 09 March 2005 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09 March 2005, 08:09 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't touch the theiving scum AA with a barge pole. No idea on the RAC, use green flag and when I have had to use them in the past they have been excellent.
Old 09 March 2005, 09:11 AM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
I wouldn't touch the theiving scum AA with a barge pole. No idea on the RAC, use green flag and when I have had to use them in the past they have been excellent.
Why are the AA theiving scum?

They all have good and bad. The AA is the only one with its OWN recovery service though.
Old 09 March 2005, 09:25 AM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

I have had no worries with the RAC since defecting from the AA who ripped me off for a battery as they had me over a barrel.
Old 09 March 2005, 09:26 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

AA charge arm n leg after the first introductory year.
Old 09 March 2005, 09:26 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbotits
Why are the AA theiving scum?

They all have good and bad. The AA is the only one with its OWN recovery service though.
I applied to join the AA shortly before they floated. Forms filled in, cheque sent. Didn't hear anything. Contacted them, no sir, we haven't had anything from you. Sent another application form in with cheque etc. Didn't hear anything. Contacted them again, we'll look in to. Kept chasing, still nothing. Day after the closing date for shares - Oh look we've found both your cheques now, but it is too late for you to qualify for shares. Asked them to reconsider as it was their ***** up, if the answer was no they should return my cheques. They returned one, cashed the other and still told me I wasn't eligable. We then had a protracted fight to get my money back. Devious underhanded scum.
Old 09 March 2005, 09:41 AM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

I've called Greenflag recently and they arrived within 20 minutes, were really helpful and were very sympathetic to my Scoob (i.e when getting it on and off the flatbed they made sure the car didn't ground and scrape). My father in law also called them last week for his car and they were again very quick and very helpful. Top marks in my opinion for Green Flag!

Russ

P.S If you have a current account with Barclays - upgrade to an 'Additions' account - you get loads of instant goodies like an interest free £250 overdraft, will writing service, extended insurance cover ...and Green Flag recovery and home start! - all for an affordable monthly payment (which I can't remember as the missus deals with all that sort of stuff...)
Old 09 March 2005, 01:44 PM
Vipa
Scooby Regular

Just sorted mine with Directline who run thier breakdown service in conjunction with....... Green Flag!!! (thought the website looked familiar!)

Anyway... I went for 'recovery plus' which, with Green Flag was just over £90...

With Direct Line it was £77.... for the same cover.... with the same breakdown service...

Paul
Old 09 March 2005, 02:33 PM
Ga555a
Scooby Regular

Well, it looks like Green Flag are leading the way at the moment, although i've had some good feedback about RAC offline as well...

As for the AA, i've heard quite alot of negative things about them, so already made my mind up i won't be joining them.

Going to join one of these tonight or tomorrow morning(need cover for the weekend), so anyone else got any input before i commit myself...?

Cheers,

Gazza...
Old 09 March 2005, 04:20 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

As both the AA and RAC no longer represent the interests of the motorist, and seem to serve the government's interests, I would recommend Green Flag on principle.
Old 09 March 2005, 06:47 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Well, i used to recommend the RAC very highly. I have called them out several times over the years and received excelent service.

BUT...

Listening to the radio today, it seems the RAC have been/are being bought over by Aviva (sp?). Amongst their list of cost-cutting measures is "outsourcing non-technical jobs to overseas countries" which boils down to them moving their call-centres to India.

I wont be renewing my membership as I have enough difficulty explaining myself to Indian call centres about banking etc, never mind trying to explain in a scottish accent to some guy in Deli that my clutch cable has snapped outside Auchenblae.