Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Countryfile rolls out I.S.A.

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2005, 12:00 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Countryfile rolls out I.S.A.

The rural community was today introduced to the concept of Intelligent Speed Adaption for motor vehicles on BBC1's flagship rural affairs programme Countryfile.

Zealously described as the future of motoring by Professor Oliver Carston the system which would cost around 100 pounds per vehicle was shown in action amidst the usual Speed Kills and 85% of road fatalities are speed related propaganda. This was topped off with a couple of real life examples of 'speed related' pedestrian deaths to hammer the point home

Needless to say all the reporting was fully in favour of such a system over the use of 'safety cameras'

They claim it will be 8 years before the system will be introduced for all cars nationwide, but given all the other spin and downright lies peddled by the DofT and DEFRA I reckon we could safely halve that figure.

It is definitely on it's way.

UB
Old 06 March 2005, 12:08 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Damn.... missed it
Old 06 March 2005, 12:14 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Another goverment nail in Englands coffin
Old 06 March 2005, 12:15 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Welcome to the Police State
Old 06 March 2005, 12:17 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And not too early too!!

Five people a day die on rural roads a day, Ten on all roads - if just ONE death is due to speeding then surely its as unacceptable as drink/driving!?

I know that most on here believe in driving at whatever speed they want - but it ain't going to happen ................

For those who think its just revenue collecting - kick 'em where it hurts and don't give them any money!! DON'T SPEED!

Pete

And Huxley, you can't speed in YOUR car!!
Old 06 March 2005, 12:19 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I saw a shocking report the other day
Somebody got killed in a motoring inccident

And the motorist wasn't speeding

I was honestly shocked, as I truely belived the logic that not speeding meant nobody will die on the roads.

Old 06 March 2005, 12:21 PM
Simes777
Scooby Regular

Welcome to the perfect PSL world, as seen through his Rose Tinted Glasses
Old 06 March 2005, 12:24 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
And not too early too!!

Five people a day die on rural roads a day, Ten on all roads - if just ONE death is due to speeding then surely its as unacceptable as drink/driving!?

I know that most on here believe in driving at whatever speed they want - but it ain't going to happen ................

For those who think its just revenue collecting - kick 'em where it hurts and don't give them any money!! DON'T SPEED!

Pete

And Huxley, you can't speed in YOUR car!!
More people die of bowel cancer. Ban duodena!!!

Morning Pete
Old 06 March 2005, 12:24 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Saw it too. Scared the **** out of me, 8 years

Did you see the parents of a kid that was killed walking along in a 60mph limit. they wanted the limit of NSL to be reduced to 40mph!!!
There was no suggestion the driver had been speeding, just wanted to reduce the limit everywhere.
Old 06 March 2005, 12:26 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Probably because the star of their lives had been killed, had the driver been driving slower she may have lived?? Whether he was doing 30 or 20 or 15 .............. the SIMPLE fact remains that if he had been driving slower she may have lived!

Pete
Old 06 March 2005, 12:28 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

It's the same old story. I sympathise with people who have had a kid killed on the road of course, but because of their situation they need to find something to blame, they can never be objective.

If they are going to say speed kills then they may aswell make the speed limit zero miles per hour and have done with it.

If he was going faster he may have missed the kid all together, who knows!
Old 06 March 2005, 12:32 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Been having a nosey on the net....here's the proposed diagram...

http://www.its.leeds.ac.uk/projects/.../slide0039.htm

How Tf they will get brake and throttle control on a MY97 Impreza or a '69 Land Rover is beyond me. Unless they use a fuel cut or ignition cut (rev limiter). Which is unhealthy (refer to backfiring, burnt exhaust valves, damaged catalysts etc)

It does have an Override button though

Slideshow: http://www.its.leeds.ac.uk/projects/...iles/frame.htm
Site: http://www.its.leeds.ac.uk/projects/ISA/index.htm
Old 06 March 2005, 12:38 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Been having a nosey on the net....here's the proposed diagram...

http://www.its.leeds.ac.uk/projects/.../slide0039.htm

How Tf they will get brake and throttle control on a MY97 Impreza or a '69 Land Rover is beyond me. Unless they use a fuel cut or ignition cut (rev limiter). Which is unhealthy (refer to backfiring, burnt exhaust valves, damaged catalysts etc)

It does have an Override button though

Slideshow: http://www.its.leeds.ac.uk/projects/...iles/frame.htm
Site: http://www.its.leeds.ac.uk/projects/ISA/index.htm
Any vehicles that can't be readily converted will simply be removed from the roads. Read: motorcycles, classic cars, performance cars etc...
Old 06 March 2005, 12:47 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

As we have seen over the last few weeks the administration are slowly selling the ISA idea to the media. They are, if you will excuse the pun, road testing it to see how we react and also to get the concept firmly implanted in our minds that life can not continue without this system. It is a similar trick to that which they played with the concept of man made global warming which is now touted as "fact" in the media despite being disputed by a very many atmospheric and climate scientists. What we are seeing is the power of media management and it is starting to swing into action with respect to ISA because this is going to be the biggest change in your personal mobility since the private motor car became common. Once it is introduced you will be limited to 40mph on most single carriageway roads, with lower limits applying to bends and other "dangerous" areas. To counter this we may see an increase in motorway speed limits but they will be variable and will be adjusted depending on daylight. weather, traffic volume etc. etc. So, in truth the maximum limit might increase to say 80mph but you will rarely see it, and lets be honest most people do 80 at the minute anyhow.

There may even be an announcement, perhaps just before the election, that many speed cameras are going to be removed but little mention will be made of the more sinister replacement. The camera partnerships may also be centralised to the new "Department for Personal Mobility" and it will be their job to ensure that you have as little personal mobility as possible.

Almost all the pieces of the jigsaw are in place now except for the mapping of the UK which is due to be complete at the end of September. Once that is done many people will only be a short time away from having ISA, road charging and personal tracking fitted to their car. In my view 8 years seems like a realistic timescale to have every car done and all non-ISA cars removed from the roads. Those of us driving cars with reasonable performance in the more elevated insurance groups are likely to be hit much sooner than some others.

It is important not to be fooled by the "safety" smoke screen. Don't even let safety enter your mind as this ISA system will result in an increase in road deaths. This isn't about safety, it is about control, and the more people die on the roads the more control the green nutters can demand and the more it suits them. So, as we watch road deaths increasing as more cameras are installed we think this proves our point but, in truth, it will be media managed to show us that we need even more methods of control. Each and every one of those green nutters, partnership managers and government ministers you see on talking about safety is actually engineering our roads to be less safe as they depend upon us dying on the roads for their control and their jobs.

Selling it to the rural community is important just because the administration are city based and don't care about what happens in the countryside, we need only look at the hunting ban to see that. The countryside is likely to offer the most resistance to their plot. Despite what they are saying about road charging being less in rural areas it will be in rural areas that the ISA will have most impact as traffic speeds will slow dramatically and there will be no public transport alternative which is what the green stalinist nutters want to force us on to.
Old 06 March 2005, 12:48 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Its excellent news - really it is .............

There appear to be many drivers on this board who do not have the skill to drive properly - so, they need a machine to do it for them!

If you speeders changed and became responsible skilled drivers we wouldn't have to worry about fines or big brother!!

Pete
Old 06 March 2005, 12:51 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Probably because the star of their lives had been killed, had the driver been driving slower she may have lived?? Whether he was doing 30 or 20 or 15 .............. the SIMPLE fact remains that if he had been driving slower she may have lived!

Pete
Pete

Also in fact, if he had been going faster she may have lived. After all, a few extra mph may have meant he had passed that spot long before she reached it.

Edit - Ah ajm great minds and all that.
Old 06 March 2005, 12:53 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Pete

Also in fact, if he had been going faster she may have lived. After all, a few extra mph may have meant he had passed that spot long before she reached it.
Quite true - he could have missed her and hit the next accident he was about to cause!

Pete
Old 06 March 2005, 12:54 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Quite true - he could have missed her and hit the next accident he was about to cause!

Pete
Or missed the next accident too
Old 06 March 2005, 12:55 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

Pete
what do you drive ?
Old 06 March 2005, 12:55 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

The reality is: the less control you give the driver, the lazier he becomes. The lazier he becomes, the more accidents he has.

If a computer decides for you how fast you can go safely, you relax and start chatting to you passengers so that you don't see the child about to step off the pavement in front of you because you simply won't be concentrating.

The only way to reduce road deaths is to re-engineer accident blackspots and train drivers to a higher standard. It's as simple as that.
Old 06 March 2005, 12:57 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by paul-s
what do you drive ?
The irony is lewis already has points for speeding so he is a complete hypocrite.

Old 06 March 2005, 12:58 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

If I had ISA I'd sit back, plant my foot to the floor all the time and take a nap

I won't expect your 5year child old to run out in to the road chasing a ball. As the ISA will sort all that out for me. Oh, hang on,no it won't...better wake up and hit the brakes <BANG> oops too late...never mind - wasn't my fault It was impossible for me to speed!
Old 06 March 2005, 01:02 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
The irony is lewis already has points for speeding so he is a complete hypocrite.

how can he have an argument then
Old 06 March 2005, 01:13 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

how can he have an argument then
He thinks its clever to try and wind people up, but we humour him because it makes him look like a fruitloop infront of thousands of people!
Old 06 March 2005, 01:15 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

The irony is Lewis is a covicted muck spreader.

Imagine this.

You take your car to be serviced, or maybe even just filling up and it gets scanned by HMG.

Your ECU happily transmits, your top speed, your average speed, and how many times you execeeded any given speed limit.

That my friends is the future. Car manufacturers can already access this stuff, it just needs a law to force them to divulge it.

It's not about safety, it's about cheaply collecting money.

Loads of accidents happen on roads where people are well within the speed limit. What sort of maroon wanders along NSL roads without a care in the world?

What about drinking and not driving. Pissed up member falls in front of car, it's an alcohol related accident.

Doofus walks on unlit road and is hit by car doing under speed limit, it's a speed related accident.

Lies, damn lies and accident statistics.

People need to take responsibility and stop blaming everyone else for their misfortune. Society is to blame!
Old 06 March 2005, 01:22 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

what do you drive ?
Scoobynet into a fit, generally

Pete
Old 06 March 2005, 01:22 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck

I have NO points for speeding you fukcwit UB!

Pete
Old 06 March 2005, 01:28 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Been five years already then?
Old 06 March 2005, 01:29 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BarryK
Imagine this.

You take your car to be serviced, or maybe even just filling up and it gets scanned by HMG.

Your ECU happily transmits, your top speed, your average speed, and how many times you execeeded any given speed limit.

That my friends is the future. Car manufacturers can already access this stuff, it just needs a law to force them to divulge it.
FPMSL!! Classic line this:-

"and how many times you exceeded any given speed limit" Spelling mistake corrected.

Please, oh wise one, explain to me how it can divulge what speed limit applied to which time and on what road you were driving?"

I am at the forefront of Technology and you have me bewildered

Pete
Old 06 March 2005, 01:29 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

PSL,

Why do you rant at other drivers about breaking the speed limit when you have already told us twice about the times you were doing just that?

Why should we take any notice of your blathering when you set us such an example yourself?

Les

Quick Reply: Countryfile rolls out I.S.A.