Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone on here own a Chippy?

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2005, 04:26 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone on here own a Chippy?

I'm looking into buying a Fish and Chip shop and would like some advice from anyone who owns one.

It's a complete carrer change but I'm hoping it's the right move, lots of questions to ask but don't know of any fish and Chip shop owners.
Old 04 March 2005, 04:29 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

All id say is that a lot of the chippys i know of are doing less business than 5/10 years ago.
Takeaway food,loads more choice,more pizza places,Mcdonalds etc,etc.
Old 04 March 2005, 04:32 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

Probabaly true but there are ahed loads of housing estates springing up and that means more shops opening as a consequence. I'd be happy with clearing £800 per week.

But I would only consider buying freehold as the property would grow in value over 15 years or so.
Old 04 March 2005, 04:39 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

The busiest time i see for chippys is school dinner hours,so i'd get one near a school.At night you hardly ever see long queue's any more,mostly at dinner time.
Old 04 March 2005, 04:45 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

near a college or school as above would be a wise move.....
Old 04 March 2005, 04:50 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

Thanks, I will be looking for one near a school, just popped a letter through the door of the local one asking if he wants to sell.

It's got to be the most grubbiest Chippy I have every seen, it's run by an old Russian bloke and looks like a overgrown garden centre inside with all varieties of cactus on display in the windows.
Old 04 March 2005, 04:52 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cyberevo
Probabaly true but there are ahed loads of housing estates springing up and that means more shops opening as a consequence. I'd be happy with clearing £800 per week.

But I would only consider buying freehold as the property would grow in value over 15 years or so.
I think most would be happy clearing £800 a week! Anyway, what about franchising?
Old 04 March 2005, 04:53 PM
Nicks VR4
Scooby Regular

Do you mean finding a Fish and Chip shop for sale
Or
Finding a shop and converting to Fish and Chips
The reason I'm asking is AFAIK you have to get permission from Council and I know of one place I used to live that the local residents put up a fight and it was not allowed

I would advise finding one for sale less agro that way, or what about a mobile fish and chip van just a thought

Place round the corner from me does a fair trade according to the people working there but as about near a school and local shops

Good luck
Old 04 March 2005, 05:05 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trashman
I think most would be happy clearing £800 a week! Anyway, what about franchising?
Not intereseted in Franchise, I looked into Sevenoaks (ther home audio company) some time ago and they take a large chunk of your net profit. I nearly went the Subway route but again a large chunk goes to them and the premises are usually leased and leasing is not what I am after.

I'm goign to try and find one that is a little grubby (like the one near me) and do it up into a nice clean shop and hopefully add an extra 20-30% takings.
Old 04 March 2005, 05:09 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
The busiest chippy I have ever seen is in city in London, the bloke works his socks off, buys high quality fish and it is delicious. As soon as word got around he was selling out every lunch time. He actually couldn't meet demand, there weren't enough hours in the day to prepare fish for the number of customers he was getting. It is probably one of the best fish and chip shops i've ever been to. His target customers were office workers, if it wasn't for them he would have gone bust as local people wouldn't spend the money and being mostly ethnic minorities (east part of the city where it goes into Whitechapel) they don't eat fish and chips.

We spoke to him about it as he was a genuinely nice bloke and he wanted a chat about football etc and got onto his business success, he gets up at 3am every day, goes and gets the fish, bring it back and prepares 200 fish portions which takes him a couple of hours. Gets it all ready for the lunch time period and then is done by about 5pm with all the clearing up etc. He really enjoyed his business doing so well and was very proud of it and rightly so, even though he worked so hard and did hard hours. The most important factor to his success? The fish being the best tasting fish you could buy. Nothing to do with the cheapest cod he could buy and then sell for a large profit margin, that doesn't get repeat customers when the fish is tasteless. Its exactly what the fish and chip shops are like in Maidstone, absolute sh!te, the fish tastes like card board. I drive all the way to Tunbridge Wells if we want good fish and chips as there is a back street fish shop there that has won award after award and its worth the journey to get a very tasty dinner.

Concentrate on quality fish/batter and you will never be quiet. I will never go back to the **** holes in Maidstone as cardboard like fish is not an experience I would ever want to repeat.
These are my thoughts exactly, I want to supply top quality fish and chips, no Kebabs or pizzas as I want to concentrate on providing the best quality in my local area (that's if I can find someone who is willing to sell). The local chippy is a goldmine as the new housing estate is going to expand over time and there is going to be a large industrial estate nearby, so perhaps he may not sell with this in mind, on the other hand his chips are utter poop.
Old 04 March 2005, 05:12 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by **************

Concentrate on quality fish/batter and you will never be quiet. I will never go back to the **** holes in Maidstone as cardboard like fish is not an experience I would ever want to repeat.
Depends on your locality,unfortunately a lot of people with eat anything if its cheap.

Sevenoaks franchis.....interesting.
BTW,if anyone is interested in setting up a hi-fi shop Grimsby is in desperate need of one.There's only one and its rubbish,but there's no competition.I have to travel to Hull.
Old 04 March 2005, 06:02 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

One other thing - have you worked in one before?

Every day, you will come home STINKING of stale chip fat.

Teenage neighbour had a Saturday job in one. He really, really reeked.

Don't think I could handle all the changes of clothing, and scrubbing in the shower to get it out of your hair.

Anyway, good luck
Old 04 March 2005, 06:46 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
One other thing - have you worked in one before?

Every day, you will come home STINKING of stale chip fat.

Teenage neighbour had a Saturday job in one. He really, really reeked.

Don't think I could handle all the changes of clothing, and scrubbing in the shower to get it out of your hair.

Anyway, good luck
Nope but I intend to spend some time in one soon. To be honest I've worked in an office environment for 17 years and I want a big change. I earn good money as a telecoms contractor but I have had two long stints out of work, the current one has been 2.5 months, and I'm fed up of travelling all over the country and being away from my wife. We are planning to start a family and I don't want to be an absent father so I think I'll have to put up with the smell.
Old 04 March 2005, 06:52 PM
gareth123
Scooby Regular

Open one near me in California. There isn't a proper chippy within about a 5600 mile radius - now that's a big captive market

If the doom and gloom forecasts about overfishing turn out to be true aren't you going to be kinda stuck?
Old 04 March 2005, 06:57 PM
Nicks VR4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gareth123
Open one near me in California. There isn't a proper chippy within about a 5600 mile radius - now that's a big captive market

If the doom and gloom forecasts about overfishing turn out to be true aren't you going to be kinda stuck?
Lol I thought Joes Crab shack in Las Vagas was pretty good and a Fish & Chip Restaurant in Ventura was not bad and sold beer
Old 04 March 2005, 07:10 PM
cactus jim
Scooby Regular

im not sure i can add much value as i dont own one, however i live in the east end of london and they seem to do very very well, busy at least, how much money i couldnt guess.

my advise as with anything is to research your market, visit all of the locals, base your product on quality and service and try to create the old school seventies "chippie" with quality cod, provide friendly banter to all your customers and complete that retro feel with a pukka pie poster and you will go a long long way i am sure!!

perhaps a hybrid chippie with mash as well, goes down really well round these parts!!

perhaps near to a football/rugby ground for that saturday afternoon rush wouldnt be a bad idea.

best of luck!!

interestingly bravo-two zero, where is the one you refer to.
Old 04 March 2005, 07:26 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Well in the Croydon area there are two chippies that are always packed due to the quality of their food, the rest are always empty.
Old 04 March 2005, 07:38 PM
zesty
Scooby Regular

My mum and dad owned one for about 20 years, they sold it about 5 years ago as my mum had had enough of the long hours. They won a few awards in their time though and made it in to a successful business.

If you have any specific questions pm me and i can ask.
Old 04 March 2005, 09:17 PM
jfrf
Scooby Regular

sound like youre taking about "happy days" to me, just off from liverpool street

the place is a sh*thole and doesnt look too hygenic, but the food really is as good as you have just said.
we go there quite often
Old 04 March 2005, 10:06 PM
jfrf
Scooby Regular

wel if youre opening a chippy this place definitely is the benchmark
what stands out for me is the huge fat lumps of cod. never seen anything so big. not cheap at 6 quid for fish and chips but definitely worth every penny even if i do come out smellin of chip oil evey time i eat there

the harry ramsdens near me is a joke in comparison
how the hell did it become successful. soggy fish
Old 04 March 2005, 10:22 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

yep got one, run one for last 3 years HATED it,

now looking for a career change, maybe a milkman
Old 04 March 2005, 11:25 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wwp8
yep got one, run one for last 3 years HATED it,

now looking for a career change, maybe a milkman
wwp8 why did you hate it so much? I'm looking at it as a long term investemnt hence the freehold option. I would then look at turning a lesser shop into a more profitable one and selling on the lease and moving onto another one, hopefully by the time I retire I could have 2-3 leased out and manage one myself full time.
Old 04 March 2005, 11:30 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Cyberevo
I'm goign to try and find one that is a little grubby (like the one near me) and do it up into a nice clean shop and hopefully add an extra 20-30% takings.
sounds like the right kind of thing to do, although its not a chippy, i did the same thing with a diffrent "grubby and minging" site, and its now doing so well i cant keep up either at the moment

today i made £340 for myself, NOT to be sniffed at IMO
word of mouth from satisfied customers, is hard to beat
Old 04 March 2005, 11:38 PM
blueone
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
today i made £340 for myself, NOT to be sniffed at IMO
word of mouth from satisfied customers, is hard to beat
Where there's muck there's brass! Did you do the choir mag advert in the end Micky?

The thing that I want from a chippy is clean hot tasty food and clean staff serving it to me. Nothing worse than walking in and some Chav coughs all over the chip trays before dishing the grub up. Many a time I have voted with my feet and walked out mid order after seeing how the staff act around my meal. Hmm after thinking about it I fancy some Cod and Chips now with lashing of salt and Vinegar splashed all over.
Old 05 March 2005, 12:03 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

The best chippers are always near or in council estate type areas.

More customers = higher turnover of food = freshly cooked fish & chips.
Old 05 March 2005, 12:03 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

nope as it turned out it was not in colour and the advert would never have stood out in a black and white program.

just finished the design for the next revision of the yellow pages tho

sat and sundays are our most busy days, so will easy beat todays takings tomorow , you tidy a site up and people DO notice, i know of 2 chinese takeaways on the same street, right across the road from each other, one is always packed and the other empty, one is clean and tidy and the other cheap and minging

apearance is everything when you deal with the public.
Old 05 March 2005, 12:07 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

priceing can have a good deal to do with it also

cheap prices will actualy deter people from coming in
walkers sensations are priced higher then most other types of crisps, it gives a classier image, people expected them to taste better before they had even tasted them.

Quick Reply: Anyone on here own a Chippy?