Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Jamie's school dinners, C4 last night.

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2005, 07:10 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up Jamie's school dinners, C4 last night.

Anyone else see this? It was quite interesting.

Previously, I've utterly loathed Jamie Oliver, but last night, the guy went up in my estimatiuon, not just once but 4 times.

!. He seemed genuinely concerned at the crap most kids were eating, choosing, or being offered.

2. He managed to get even a kid who at first refused everything, to try, and then to like good food.

3. At his London restaurant, he refused point blank to stay and meet Bill Clinton, after BC's party made Jamie's staff change the menu to suit them when they arrived after booking a large table. Jamie said his family were more important, and went home to them.

4. He went and gave hell to the md of the company who were in charge of school dinners at the school he was working with, asking WHY they were offering rubbish, and not allowing them to double talk their way out of it.

He managed to produce a healthy meal with the 44p per pupil allowed, and then asked them why they were offering rubbish. He really slagged off Bernard Matthews too

More power to the lad's elbow. I shall watch him next week to see if he does as well with secondary age kids!

Alcazar
Old 03 March 2005, 07:25 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with every word, there.
Old 03 March 2005, 07:27 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

I saw something on tv last night (a snippet of news maybe?) that parents were demanding the return of burgers and chips in the school he was in (obviously the programme was recorded awhile back). I couldn't help but feel that was disgusting, more disgusting than the school offering 'crap' in the first place.

Apparently the kids weren't eating enough during the day meaning they needed feeding more in the evenings!
Old 03 March 2005, 07:27 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

It was an eye-opener wasnt it?
Old 03 March 2005, 07:52 PM
type-r-stan
Scooby Regular

I also used to 'hate' jamie oliver and think he was a bit of a pratt but totally chaned my mind after watching jamie's kitchen last year. i wanted to know why they put his food next to the burgers etc.. kids will 99% of the time choose the junk. the only choice they should have had was have his or go hungry..

This school dinners project is really important and its a disgrace that people in the nick get more spent on dinners than schoolkids.. but parents are busy/lazy and do anything for a peaceful life.. the other day a parent at school told me that 'cause her kid has school dinners she only has to have a 'snack' when she gets home, i asked her what she gave her, reply 'oh a pot noodle or summat'. i couldn't believe my ears.. no wonder the kid is overweight and badly behaved.

after reading fast food nation a few years ago i banned junk food and i trained my kids to say 'yuk' when we went past mc'ds until one day we drove past and my 3yr old piped up... i'm luving it.... gutted of garston... they now get it no more than once a month and thats too much!!
Old 03 March 2005, 08:04 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

It was very eye-opening, and good luck on him. My only comment is that it is fine to get them to eat health once (a novelty) but can he change their way of life? Training the parents is going to be much harder.
Old 03 March 2005, 08:10 PM
kammy
Scooby Regular

Same here, thought he was a t!t in honesty, I now think he is a legend.
Kam
Old 03 March 2005, 08:16 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

I'm sure any right thinking person would react the same way if confronted with the *TRUTH* about what is happening to our education system under the present Government. Unfortunately people believe the spin they are spoon fed and think that everything is wonderful. Don't they lewis?

UB
Old 03 March 2005, 09:31 PM
Manda_po
BANNED

Old 03 March 2005, 10:06 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Arrow Great TV and a top chap

Enjoyed the programme and have always had a lot of respect for him. Shame other celebs don't take some responsibility and do something constructive.

Mossman
Old 04 March 2005, 09:48 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

I've been watching this, a very good bit of TV, I've always liked him anyway, nice lad, bit of a laugh, and his hearts in the right place.

I must say though I've been totally shocked by the state of kids nutrition in this day and age. For one thing if Jamie Oliver wanted to come and cook for me I'd be savouring every bit of it even if he was making dishes for 50p! Kids today don't know what they're missing, why they would rather have burger and chips than good quality food prepared by a highly rated chef beggars belief.

What I also found stunning was that they couldn't even identify common vegetables, something I knew about from a young age from helping out on my Dad's allotment and garden. When he made that family go shopping for proper food and she picked up the fresh basil "can you eat this it's just leaves" she goes I don't know, maybe I'm just lucky having come from a relatively middle class background, do the majority of people in the U.K. really live off predominantly processed foods?

As for Bill Clinton, I can fully understand why Jamie was fuming, if that was me I think I would have told him to f**k off out of my restaurant and never come back By the sound of it they had already sent them a menu so it wasn't as if they knew what they were going to get.

Old 04 March 2005, 09:57 AM
blueone
Scooby Regular

I think "can you eat this it's just leaves" shows it is a lack of education and not class that is to blame. You can be educated and still too poor to afford fresh good produce. Class does not mean you are more likely to have a crap diet, a low income or lack of education does.
Old 04 March 2005, 10:45 AM
TJG
Scooby Regular

I thought it was astonishing. Sure all kids aren't going to like every different type of vegetable, but to not event want to try any, and not even be able to identify any - blimey! And turkey twizzlers? FFS.

A great bit of TV and hopefully Jamie can make a difference.
Old 04 March 2005, 03:47 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

I find Jamie Oliver a complete inspiration,an amazing program and someone who knows what he's on about.
Old 04 March 2005, 03:48 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by unclebuck
I'm sure any right thinking person would react the same way if confronted with the *TRUTH* about what is happening to our education system under the present Government. Unfortunately people believe the spin they are spoon fed and think that everything is wonderful. Don't they lewis?

UB

UB..you need to get a life mate........seriously.
Old 04 March 2005, 04:57 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by paulr
UB..you need to get a life mate........seriously.
LOL @ UB and paulr

Alcazar
Old 04 March 2005, 05:25 PM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blueone
I think "can you eat this it's just leaves" shows it is a lack of education and not class that is to blame. You can be educated and still too poor to afford fresh good produce. Class does not mean you are more likely to have a crap diet, a low income or lack of education does.
I don't think a low income means you have to eat processed food, I am sure it is cheaper to buy unprocessed raw ingredents than it is to buy a ready meal. Most ready meals are £3.00 plus a protion, fresh veg and meat for a meal for 4 will come in at less than £12, it is a question of being bothered and caring about what you and your children eat.

The comment about the changes in the childrens behaviour while eating the Jamie food, compared to the processed stuff were eye opening. And within 1/2 hour of the family changing the diet back, one of the kids had a huge tantrum/hyper session.

My 4 year old, only drinks water, pure orange juice or milk, if she has orange/blackcurrent squash or coke there is a noticable difference in her behaviour within 10 minutes, it is almost like flicking a switch, and the change in personality is amost scarry!!!!

Yet having "decent" home cooked food when at home and eating it, if we go out she would rather have a macdonalds than anything else, although she will never have it with me, the grandparents like to treat her. But she still asks for orange juice rather than coke!!!

It is all a matter of the parents being bothered and taking the time to prepare decent food, rather than being lazy and providing/microwaving processed crap!!!!
Old 09 March 2005, 09:17 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Just watched this. Those scumy obese kids are so brainwashed into eating **** food it's unbelievable. What are their parents doing to them?

Oh yes, and Jamie Oliver is a hero for doing this programme. Top bloke.

UB

Last edited by unclebuck; 09 March 2005 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09 March 2005, 09:43 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

LOL @ the parents ringing the school asking when they're going to start selling "proper food" again. It's not surprising the kids aint got a clue is it?
Old 09 March 2005, 09:55 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Its amazing how everyone (including politicians) are jumping on the bandwagon...once the series ends it'll all fade away.

Pathetic really.
Old 09 March 2005, 10:04 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Great. He's going to take on that **** Charles Clarke next week. Go on my son!!! Give him some ****!!!

UB

If Jamie Oliver can change government policy it would be far from pathetic.
Old 09 March 2005, 10:16 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

UB,you misunderstand me,whats pathetic is how everyone is suddenly up in arms about our crap diet,the only reason cos its on telly.
Personally i think sweets should be banned from supermarket checkouts,it'll only happen when some "clelb"makes a big deal about it.
Old 09 March 2005, 10:21 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Who is *eveyone* ? The only way to change people to healthier eating is to keep chipping away at the fast food/ready meal culture. It's a global industry that is immensely powerful and has most preprogrammed stupids in it's grip from an early age.

It'll take more than one celeb to change things, but I admire him for doing his bit.
Old 09 March 2005, 10:23 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

Cool

well just say;

"no you cant have it. your teeth will rot and Im not paying for it so put it BACK!"

I do.
drives the wife up the wall (as it causes friction), and the little monkey used to have tantrums - but now she just shrugs...

She also eats what we eat-
no complaints these days.
That includes 'foreign muck' - mexican, indian, chinese, thai, italian etc etc.. pretty much ALL hand made (wife is a star )
Even SALAD too!

philosophy wise- The kid eats it or it goes in the bin and she goes hungry. tough love perhaps?

Fwiw, channel4 site has pdf docs so you can keep tabs on the ****e your kid's school tries to feed em (mine has packup).
http://www.channel4.com/life/microsi...ing/index.html

Mr. Oliver; I salute you

Last edited by chrome; 09 March 2005 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09 March 2005, 10:45 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Praise is also due to Channel 4 for commissioning such a worthwhile programme.

Perhaps it could spawn a new TV programming genre - *Responsible* Reality TV.

UB

how about something similar on driving awareness C4??
Old 09 March 2005, 11:10 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I was amazed that schools fed kids that crap! When I was in primary school, 20 years ago I was being told chips et al were bad for you so how can schools in todays 'I don't care how ignorant I am, I'm gonna get shed loads of compensation' culture, offer such crap? You'd think they'd get strung up for making kids fat?

Top marks to Jamie I reckon! (and poor Jules!)
Old 10 March 2005, 12:14 AM
gareth123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Who is *eveyone* ? The only way to change people to healthier eating is to keep chipping away
Mmmmmmm.... chips...
Old 10 March 2005, 12:21 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by gareth123
Mmmmmmm.... chips...
LOL That should be 'couscousing away' obviously.....

Old 10 March 2005, 10:00 AM
Clett
Scooby Regular

I too had a low impression of Jamie Oliver before this programme.

But now I am a huge fan as I overwhelmingly agree with what he's trying to do! It's absolutely fantastic (and ironic) that he's managed to bring this issue exactly to where it needs to be seen most - right on the screens in the livingrooms of the vast masses of couch potato parents sprawled helplessly on sofas in front of the box across the country.

I remember a study done on inmates in a prison for particularly violent offenders in America where they'd been having serious problems with behaviour. They split the prison in two, on one side giving the prisoners the standard 'on a budget' school-meals type garbage, and on the other side, freshly prepared food with a variety of veg, low salt, low sugar etc. In the healthy group the behaviour changed practically overnight, and it started to resemble a library more than a violent offenders institute!

Needless to say, I firmly believe that giving children good eating habits early on can only improve what they learn and achieve not just at school, but throughout their lives. I live in the East-end of Glasgow and I look around to see a community stricken by pies and processed sugar, ailing lumps of hobbling morbidity and NHS burden. Tax **** food as much as cigarettes I say!

Quick Reply: Jamie's school dinners, C4 last night.