Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Drink driver gets 8 weeks...

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2005, 03:37 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drink driver gets 8 weeks...

....for driving with excess alcohol, having no licence and having no insurance.

He also managed to kill a 12 year old boy crossing the road, but there was insufficent evidence to bring a death by dangerous driving charge.....because he wasn't driving "recklessly"

How can people live with themselves having not been punished for something like that????
Old 02 March 2005, 04:01 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

thats ****. Speeding motorists get more than that. Usual quality government f**k up
Old 02 March 2005, 04:04 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Hope the **** dies a very slow and painful death
Old 02 March 2005, 04:06 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How on earth did they get off that lightly? That's just disgusting the fact that they had no license or insurance and that they had been drinking is reckless surely
Old 02 March 2005, 04:07 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

whats the source for this story?
Old 02 March 2005, 05:25 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Thats accident happened not far from my house, Its totally discrace that the asylum seeker only got 8 weeks for killing someone while drinking under the infulance of alchol, where as Jermaine Pennent was court drink driving and didnt kill anybody and got the same punishment, wheres the logic in that.

Thoughts are with the family of the little boy who died!
Old 02 March 2005, 05:31 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Tell you what guys......why dont YOU go and make an effort to restore common sense to the courts.....go and become magistrates...that way you will be doing something about it, rather than just being armchair critics.
Old 02 March 2005, 05:57 PM
sparkykev
Scooby Regular

Location: Ex WRX now a Harley Iron. Warwickshire. Oh what fun...

He shouldn't even be in this country, he's been here 7 yrs seeking asylum, and been turned down four times......

So why is he still here?????
Old 02 March 2005, 06:09 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Calm down folks. You are discussing one of those who are the most important in our society. You have merely to provide the tax revenue to pay for all this.
Old 02 March 2005, 06:12 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
where as Jermaine Pennent was court drink driving and didnt kill anybody and got the same punishment, wheres the logic in that.
Because they committed the same offense: drink-driving. Since he was not found guilty of the death charge, he can only be convicted of the DD charge. That's how the law works - we don't punish people for offences they haven't been convicted of. Unless they are arabs of course, then we just lock them up for having suspicous names...

M
Old 02 March 2005, 06:14 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

emmmm and we just had a thread a few days back about a bloke who got 5 years for owning a now illegal airpistol?!?
Old 02 March 2005, 06:18 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

You should be punished for the crime, not for the consequences of it. That's vengeance, not justice.

I'm not saying that he shouldn't spend longer in jail of course, I just wanted to make that point.
Old 02 March 2005, 06:22 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Tell you what guys......why dont YOU go and make an effort to restore common sense to the courts.....go and become magistrates...that way you will be doing something about it, rather than just being armchair critics.
zzzzz
Old 02 March 2005, 06:29 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simo
thats ****. Speeding motorists get more than that. Usual quality government f**k up
How is it anything to do with the govenrnment, the judiciary are independent from the Government.....sentencing and judgement is done by Jury/Judge combination. Government can give sentencing guidelines for some offences but not dictate Judicial process on individual cases.................

Last edited by camk; 02 March 2005 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02 March 2005, 06:33 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by turboman786
No. That wouldn't work because Magistrates work to laid down sentencing guidelines. The PC brigade ensure that these are lenient.
What we need in this country is elected Magistrates, Judges and Chief Constables as in the USA.
Old 02 March 2005, 06:35 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Post deleted as the content was not applicable to this particular incident.

Last edited by CrisPDuk; 03 March 2005 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02 March 2005, 06:37 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vegescoob
No. That wouldn't work because Magistrates work to laid down sentencing guidelines. The PC brigade ensure that these are lenient.
What we need in this country is elected Magistrates, Judges and Chief Constables as in the USA.
Sorry you are talking rubbish in this case the guy was found NOT GUILTY of death through dangerous driving. If found guilty he faced up to 10 years in jail. This was a sentencing guideline SET by the current labour government a few years back.

aaahhhh the joy of Scoobynet law.........
Old 02 March 2005, 06:51 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

WEGESCOOB....yu are right IN PART...magistrates do work within guidelines.....but they are only guidelines, and ultimately they can use their discretion. Yes the penalties may appear to be low, but by taking part you could help implement policy changes.....so if you really do want change, I would strongly urge anyone to become an active magistrate, and get involved with your local court.
Old 02 March 2005, 06:58 PM
sparkykev
Scooby Regular

Location: Ex WRX now a Harley Iron. Warwickshire. Oh what fun...

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
I remember this story, and IIRC this is a SIAL. The 12 year old boy was not hit by a reckless driver, he and his mates were playing chicken on a dual carriageway and he was too slow, Darwinian theory in practice.

The lynch mob mentality of this bbs makes me laugh, we should be patting this guy on the back, it's just one dead future car thief, there's many more where he came from

As he was sentenced yesterday, and it was in the papers today, i doubt this is a sial.

I'm sure this lads parents will thank you for your input.
Old 02 March 2005, 07:05 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Threads like this really do demonstrate how irrational some people's thought patterns are....
Old 02 March 2005, 07:42 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

I remember this story, and IIRC this is a SIAL. The 12 year old boy was not hit by a reckless driver, he and his mates were playing chicken on a dual carriageway and he was too slow, Darwinian theory in practice.
No that was a different story, the kid was crossing the road and was hit by a asylum seeker who had downed a bottle of whisky, it was in the paper today about it.
Old 02 March 2005, 08:25 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

WEGESCOOB....yu are right IN PART...magistrates do work within guidelines.....but they are only guidelines, and ultimately they can use their discretion. Yes the penalties may appear to be low, but by taking part you could help implement policy changes.....so if you really do want change, I would strongly urge anyone to become an active magistrate, and get involved with your local court.
However, I have heard serving Magistrates on phone in radio shows like Jeremy Vine. They have sometimes said that they are very constrained on sentencing.
I also suspect that any Bench thought to be "too tough" would soon be investigated by the Lord Chancellor's Office.
Remember, the prisons are overcrowded and this Government isn't planning to build many more.
Old 02 March 2005, 08:29 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by camk
Sorry you are talking rubbish in this case the guy was found NOT GUILTY of death through dangerous driving. If found guilty he faced up to 10 years in jail. This was a sentencing guideline SET by the current labour government a few years back.

aaahhhh the joy of Scoobynet law.........
Exactly, shows the farce of the current laws then. So, you're drunk, you kill someone and it's not dangerous driving.
How so?
Old 02 March 2005, 09:47 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Vegescoob, Magistrates are only constrained byt he stutory maximums, and the guidance given by the higher courts. ANY drink driving offence can result in a prison sentence of 6months. If the magistrates chose 8 weeks, then that is there decision....if it was you, you could have given him 6 months....but that still would not do justice to the crime, if I understnd your sentiments. The bottom line is, unless YOU are willing to something about it, ie be proactive, then you have no right to complain about those who are there doing what they consider to be their bit.
Old 02 March 2005, 10:05 PM
swiftnick
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
we should be patting this guy on the back, it's just one dead future car thief, there's many more where he came from
Thats a bit harsh mate, or did you know this child personally?
Old 02 March 2005, 10:11 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Ive read somewhere that the asylum seeker will be out in 2weeks, because he has already done 6weeks on remand. Nice to know he will be back behind the steering wheel in a couple of weeks, when he picks up his asylum money he will be beating down the doors of people selling there £200 ford fiesta's
Old 02 March 2005, 10:13 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vegescoob
Exactly, shows the farce of the current laws then. So, you're drunk, you kill someone and it's not dangerous driving.
How so?

To be guilty there needs to be evidence, there was obviously none or insufficient in this case. Being Drunk does not automatically mean you are driving dangerously. It certainly means your reactions are poorer but its not proof it was dangerous driving. I'm not defending the guy but you really need to know the evidence to make a jugement, I've not seen anyone on here admitting to being in the public gallery throughout the trial. You can kill someone driving on a straight road at 25MPH.
Old 02 March 2005, 10:17 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Scooby boy, if that was you, would you expect not to have time served on remand taken into account.???

Some of the ignorance expressed on the bb astounds me. People really need to educate themselves. I agree the sentence was unduly lenient, but that doesnt mean that the rule of law shouldn't continue to apply.

As a solicitor, I always wonder what the very people who hold the 'hang em and flog em' attitude would do in the same situation, and believe me we do get them....its amazing how someones attitude to crime and justice chagnes when they are the recipients...and I am yet to come across ONE middle class offender who didnt seek to provaricate and give himself a 'sporting chance' of an acquittal.
Old 02 March 2005, 10:28 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Scooby boy, if that was you, would you expect not to have time served on remand taken into account.???

Some of the ignorance expressed on the bb astounds me. People really need to educate themselves. I agree the sentence was unduly lenient, but that doesnt mean that the rule of law shouldn't continue to apply.

As a solicitor, I always wonder what the very people who hold the 'hang em and flog em' attitude would do in the same situation, and believe me we do get them....its amazing how someones attitude to crime and justice chagnes when they are the recipients...and I am yet to come across ONE middle class offender who didnt seek to provaricate and give himself a 'sporting chance' of an acquittal.
LOL

Unfortunately much of the 'worldly views' on here comes from the red top newspapers, not from personal experience.
However I'm hoping you're not suggesting anyone doesn't take a sporting chance, if they get it .

Personally I think it was lenient as well but to be honest I'm not aware of the full background, so difficult to really judge. Personally from past experience I know how much artistic licence goes into journalist's work these days.

But if its on the internet it must be true......
Old 03 March 2005, 09:02 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

But if its on the internet it must be true......
No, theres a more reliable source than that, its called The Sun newspaper.

Quick Reply: Drink driver gets 8 weeks...