Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bird Flu

Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2005, 11:02 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bird Flu

Have the govt got you scared......yet reassured due to their stockpile of drugs ?
Nice of them eh.
Old 01 March 2005, 11:07 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

wayhay going to Hong Kong Saturday to bring back toys for the scooby and bird flu
Old 01 March 2005, 11:08 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

ray -

have you been smoking crack?
Old 01 March 2005, 11:26 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ray_li
wayhay going to Hong Kong Saturday to bring back toys for the scooby and bird flu
Ray li: Going to China next week anything you want brought back, Cough splutter…….

Ajax, Paul
Old 02 March 2005, 07:39 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

heard it on the news but the details were sketchy (i was surfing for **** at the same time )

lad at work said it can kill you pretty easy
Old 02 March 2005, 08:34 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Well that anti viral medecine will be enough to treat all the Government personnel. sorry for the rest of us!

Les
Old 02 March 2005, 08:48 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Much as I hate the current government, I'm not sure what you think they're doing wrong?

They've bought enough vaccines to treat a quarter of the population - if anything that's overkill and rather pointless (see below). People will moan if they don't do anything and whinge if they do when it comes to vaguely scary topics the general public doesn't understand.

Influenza virus is carried and transmitted by birds - hence 'bird flu'. Every major outbreak (except one) has begun in the Far East, usually centred in or near China. The virus jumps the species barrier on a regular basis - usually China as the locals drink water and keep pigs that they eat in the same water as where ducks swim - ducks only have one orifice through (cloaca) through which they **** and have sex, and can also drink water through it. The viral transmission only becomes an issue when the virus mutates into a freshly virulent strain - in reality a particularly new variant only appears every decade or so.

Vaccines are only partially effective as they are developed using a particular (and identified) viral strain. The vaccine will work well against the particualr strain but will gradually become less effective as that strain mutates and much less effective/ completely ineffective against a new strain.

As with many things, the media are guilty of spreading mis-informed fear - the latest viral outbreak has not yet been isolated and identified so it is too soon to suggest it is a new strain. A few deaths in China (with a population of 1bn and unbelievable secrecy about such things) does not mean it's anything to be scared of. This is a relatively regular event - I'm sure people will remember millions of chickens being killed in Hong Kong province not too many years ago to ward off a previous 'epidemic'.

In summary - don't worry about it - and let's keep criticising the government's woeful tax and spend record rather than worrying about a few preventative vaccines.

Gordo
Old 02 March 2005, 09:47 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...highlight=h5n1

Old 02 March 2005, 09:56 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The WHO is extremely concerned about the awful effects should this virus mutate and become transmissible from human to human. They should know after all.

Should this actually happen then the spread of the virus is likely to be so fast that the antibiotic available for 1/4 of the population will just not be enough. This is a seriously dangerous illness, not just likely ordinary old 'flu.

Your mention of "overkill" would act in the opposite way that you imagine!

The cost of the antibiotic for 1/4 of the population is £200 million, Not a lot compared with the cost to the country of a Pandemic.

Les
Old 02 March 2005, 10:01 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

hmm what the goverment is doing wrong.

How about buying millions of vaccines that will be worthless if a epidemic breaks out. The vaccines available now are for the strain passed from poultry to humans.

Not a great threat by any means, it is known that the virus could develop into a human to human strain,

problem is unless these vaccines are adaptable they are worthless. but no doubt there is a labour politician on the board of the supply company probabaly ordering a new bentley.
Old 02 March 2005, 12:08 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

They are not buying vaccines but antibiotics to treat the illness after you have caught it.

Les
Old 02 March 2005, 12:13 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
They are not buying vaccines but antibiotics to treat the illness after you have caught it.

Les
Les, they are not antibiotics, antibiotics are only effective against bacteria. What they are purchasing is anti viral agents which may/can help the symptoms of influenza.

These are not vaccines either, as vaccines can only be produced after the specific virus has been identified.
Old 02 March 2005, 01:38 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Scared? Yes, certainly..........when I've heard quotes of 25% of the population likely to become infected, and 40% death rate.

Doesn't that come out at 10%, or 1 in 10 of the population dead?
Decimation!

Alcazar
Old 02 March 2005, 01:45 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Decimation!
and 10% less traffic, less chavs, less queues, more space.... bring it on!

Without getting sentimental, as a species it is just what we need.
Old 02 March 2005, 01:49 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie

The cost of the antibiotic for 1/4 of the population is £200 million, Not a lot compared with the cost to the country of a Pandemic.

ooh thats about 1/4 of a war isnt it......nice

Hopefully it will be stuck to some of those cheap burberry knock offs coming from china, and take out a few million scum
Old 02 March 2005, 06:55 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

ducks only have one orifice through (cloaca) through which they **** and have sex, and can also drink water through it.
i always thought ducks drank water with there beaks
SN discovery channel
Old 03 March 2005, 09:32 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Yawn, yawn. The influena virus mutates all the time. There have been something like 6 or 7 new virulent strains that crossed the species barrier (i.e. birds to humans) in the last 100 years.

There is no difference between the virus that crosses from birds to humans as from humans to humans. it's the same thing.

It is impossible to absoutely protect the whole population against it and there's no need to:

a) there is no evidence that a pandemic will occur - it never has on any of the previous 'outbreaks'. The human immune system adapts very efficiently
b) the virus hits different people in different ways. The young and the elderly are most at risk as their immune systems are not strong enough to cope as well as healthy adults. i.e. most people won't be affected by it beyond feeling a bit unwell for a day or so - big deal
c) the vaccines the government are buying are effective albeit they've bought too many IMO. They will not prevent infection or feeling sick, but will prepare the immune systems of recipients to partially cope - they've bought too many as there's no need for mass innoculation and most of the population won't be badly affected (see b above). Vaccines for older 'versions' of the virus ammeliorate the affect of newer strains - only part of the virus will have evolved.

There is a strong argument not to act at all. We can't always be a nanny state - have you noticed how old people don't die of old age any more? They die of identified things, i.e. cancer, heart disease, stroke etc - and then their relatives hop up and down demanding that the NHS should have provided better (and more expensive) treatment to prolong their suffering, I mean life.

There won't be a scary influenza outbreak - New Labour is a much greater threat to your mental health

Gordo
Old 03 March 2005, 03:20 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

All understood about the anti viral treatment as you say ajm, but my point about it not being a vaccine was right at least.

Les
Old 03 March 2005, 03:28 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Looks Like TB/GW Bush are going to miss out North Korea ond go straight for China - I Heard they were manufacturing these weapons of mass duckstruction.

Coat, Hat - I'm outta here
Old 12 March 2005, 03:33 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Old 12 March 2005, 04:10 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

coming home tomorrow and will be back in uk on the 13th but back at work on the 15th. would it be a good op to say i've got a bit of a cold?
Old 12 March 2005, 04:12 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ray_li
coming home tomorrow and will be back in uk on the 13th but back at work on the 15th. would it be a good op to say i've got a bit of a cold?
Thanks for the tip-off Ray... I'll phone the airport and make sure you are quarantined!