Default BBC 1 Now - Celtic Vs Rangers...more than football

Sad Affairs in Scotland.....

idiots....
Old 28 February 2005, 12:13 AM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes its a sad affair, makes u sad when u watch it, coz we live in it, we dont feel it as much but when we see it on tv, its sickening
Old 28 February 2005, 12:23 AM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Very, very deep rooted. Can't see it changing for sometime.
Old 28 February 2005, 10:11 AM
D8UGF
Scooby Regular

Yep, just shows how moronic west central scotland is. Its very deep rooted, but unfortunately our first minister standing up and telling us all that its his latest "crusade" and that he will be working closely with both Rangers and Celtic doesnt really cut it Im afraid. The only way to stop future generations continuing with this bile is to close "all" denomination schools and have all the kids learning at the same schools and not create a "distrust" of each other at an early stage.

I believe that everyone is more than entitled to their religion but that it should be conducted through church, mosque whatever and that any form of RE should be broad based and show only the basic beliefs of every religion.

Dougie (slowly becoming an aethiest I think)
Old 28 February 2005, 10:17 AM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

Missed it and don't live in Scotland so can someone fill me in please?

Matt
Old 28 February 2005, 10:54 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Patt@firstime
Missed it and don't live in Scotland so can someone fill me in please?
Celtic (supported by catholics) and Rangers (supported by protestants) hate each other.

The end.
Old 28 February 2005, 11:03 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it's a very sad state of affair. It's not just a West Coast thing though. Just ask a Hibs or Hearts supporter. Historically it started in the West, but it didn't take long to spread. I'd agree you're much more likely to see it in the West, especially in the Central belt of Scotland.

I agree with Dougie though, if they still segregate schools then how can they expect to change things. Thankfully the things that saved me from being brainwashed as a kid was a foreign father who didn't understand what it was all about and a Mother that didn't want any part of it after being brought up in Glasgow.

Also, the estate I grew up in all the kids ran about with each other regardless of which school we went too.

The stupidity between the club supporters is THE main reason I never wanted to support either of them and stuck with my local club.

Stefan
Old 28 February 2005, 11:36 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

C'mon the well
Old 28 February 2005, 11:49 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Old 28 February 2005, 11:54 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Thumbs down

I suspect both sides hate the English as much as they do each other.
Old 28 February 2005, 11:56 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

not sure about that; Rangers fans seem to like waiving Union Jacks around and singing God Save The Queen
Old 28 February 2005, 12:00 PM
King RA
BANNED

quite unbeliveable, I didn't even know this went on....thought it was solely a NI thing.
Old 28 February 2005, 12:00 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Originally Posted by ozzy
not sure about that; Rangers fans seem to like waiving Union Jacks around and singing God Save The Queen
What's waving union jacks around got to do with English? Our flag is the cross of St George. Let me know when they wave that around.
Old 28 February 2005, 12:20 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

True, but it's hardly shouting English hatred when they're promoting Britishness. Suppose it's an anti-Irish thing. They've got the closest thing to the St George, but it has the Red Hand of Ulster on it
Old 28 February 2005, 12:29 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

remember the Gazza flute playing incident? Made me laugh.

Old 28 February 2005, 12:35 PM
redwrx
Scooby Regular

I watched it, and i was horrorfied ...... i always knew the old firm matches had a bit of grudge in them, most derby's do, but ive never seen owt like that before.

One lad, was wearing Rangers colours, but was actually a celtic fan, and had his celtic shirt on, under his outside clothes, sadly the celtic supporters didnt see them, and basically wrote his face off.....one of their own.

Hatred for whatever reason is horrid, and especially at those extremes, whether it be over religion, colour, nationality, whatever .. and this is supposed to be 2005.

If stopping foxhunting, and anti racism at footy matches is proving difficult .short of god coming down with a white flag, which is who they all claim to represent ..... i dont know how theyre going to solve this one.

If this happened at Goodison, or Anfield ...... there'd be a national outcry
and they'd end up playing games behind closed doors, and/ or getting booted out of competitions.

Frank

Last edited by redwrx; 28 February 2005 at 12:41 PM.
Old 28 February 2005, 12:44 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

Educating them not to be morons and realise there's more to life would be a good start.
Old 28 February 2005, 12:46 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
I suspect both sides hate the English as much as they do each other.
Where the **** did that come from?????????????????????????????????????

It is about religion, not nationality.

And no, we don't all HATE the English!!

Saying crap like that causes major arguments on here in case you didn't know!!!!!!!!
Old 28 February 2005, 12:47 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

it was all news to me until Primary School. Then by the age of 10/11 you start to hear about it with fights between Catholic and the "State" schools.

Educating the parents not to be morons first would be an even better start.
Old 28 February 2005, 12:49 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

What's waving union jacks around got to do with English? Our flag is the cross of St George. Let me know when they wave that around.
Ok, I will wave the cross of St George if you walk around waving the saltire!
Old 28 February 2005, 12:52 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

the hatred of the English by some Scots is another thing. We seem to have an identity crisis up here and don't know who to hate more - English, Irish, Catholics, Protestants, Asians. Have we ever picked on the Welsh?
Old 28 February 2005, 12:53 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by eClaire
Saying crap like that causes major arguments on here in case you didn't know!!!!!!!!
Yes remember Euro 2004, a select few werent happy on here
Old 28 February 2005, 12:57 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ozzy
the hatred of the English by some Scots is another thing. We seem to have an identity crisis up here and don't know who to hate more - English, Irish, Catholics, Protestants, Asians. Have we ever picked on the Welsh?
The welsh get picked on by everyone
Old 28 February 2005, 12:59 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

I remember my English ex said I was pathetically patriotic to the extent I was racist ( ) and then a few posts later called me a haggismucher LOL

I must find that thread!!!
Old 28 February 2005, 01:17 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Scoobynutta555, here you go

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=335892

One of the best threads on SN me thinks
Old 28 February 2005, 01:34 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by redwrx
I watched it, and i was horrorfied ...... i always knew the old firm matches had a bit of grudge in them, most derby's do, but ive never seen owt like that before.

One lad, was wearing Rangers colours, but was actually a celtic fan, and had his celtic shirt on, under his outside clothes, sadly the celtic supporters didnt see them, and basically wrote his face off.....one of their own.

Hatred for whatever reason is horrid, and especially at those extremes, whether it be over religion, colour, nationality, whatever .. and this is supposed to be 2005.

If stopping foxhunting, and anti racism at footy matches is proving difficult .short of god coming down with a white flag, which is who they all claim to represent ..... i dont know how theyre going to solve this one.

If this happened at Goodison, or Anfield ...... there'd be a national outcry
and they'd end up playing games behind closed doors, and/ or getting booted out of competitions.

Frank
It has happened in England (albeit not on grounds of religion) and I think we need to apply a sense of perspective to this.

As one who lives and works in west central scotland, in an office with both Rangers and Celtic Fans (as indeed you will find in practically every workplace in Glasgow) It needs to be said that for the vast majority of the time, there is nothing other than good humoured banter.

I didn't see the programme in question, but I can guarantee you that there is more than just an element of sensasionalism about it.

Thats not to say there is no trouble - far from it - it goes on and its pathetic. The hatred at a Rangers/Celtic match has to be seen to be belived.

Add to this a cocktail of drugs/alcohol and the effects of "mob" culture and people get seriously injured and killed. Its not just the football, and its not just the religion. Its a combination of both.

However, its no worse than the trouble between so called fans of any number of other clubs, throughout the UK.

Its also no worse than some of the trouble between fans of a number of clubs throughout europe.

And its not so bad that those opposing fans will not stand together in support of the national team.

There has always been a Protestant/Catholic divide in Scotland, and its probably more pronounced in the central belt. Thankfully, its no where near as bad as religious divides elsewhere across the globe.

Perhaps through simple geography, perhaps through culture, there are a very small minority with close allegiances to the various "organisations" that blight Northern Ireland (and beyond if truth be told) which most certainly doesn't help the situation

The fact that the protestants and catholics have a history of trouble going back hundereds of years doesn't help either.

As little as 30 years ago, in Glasgow, Protestants and Catholics didn't generally mix, were rarely friends and cross denominational marriages just didn't happen.

Thankfully that is changing, and I know Catholics that support rangers and protestants who support celtic.

McConnell is, however, a **** without a clue. He will never resolve the issue without sweeping changes in Scotland.

To do so requires action that he will never take.
Old 28 February 2005, 01:53 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by eClaire
Where the **** did that come from?????????????????????????????????????

It is about religion, not nationality.

And no, we don't all HATE the English!!

Any why not post it up?????????????? Saying crap like what? Based of what Ive seen and heard its a valid point to make.

And maybe you dont all hate the English (and I never said you all did), but at the same time all protestants dont hate all catholics. Fail to see your reasoning

I know it's about religion, I'm simply pointing out that although there may be differences, there probably isn't as big a difference between both sides as there is with England v Scotland.
Old 28 February 2005, 02:09 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Err, Rangers fans singing "rule britannia", waving the Ulster NI, St George's flag?
It's got **** all to do with Rangers fans hating the English.

Perhaps if you watched the program you would know.
Old 28 February 2005, 02:17 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Read my posts properly. The flags that you saw being waved about were based on the st george flag, but were not the st georges flag itself.

And err, Rule Britannia, an English or British ditty? Them same Rangers fans might be around for the forthcoming Scotland England rugby match, lets see what theyll be singing then
Old 28 February 2005, 02:33 PM
redwrx
Scooby Regular

30 years ago, when i was a kid, i was brought up in a similar environment ....(in Liverpool), i would never have been allowed to have friends, etc on the other side.

personally i think its boll''ks ...we're all human beings at the end of the day, i'll have friends who i choose, not who im told

Last week, there were incidents between Everton and Man U fans, at Goodison, next thing its on national news, and the clubs involve face heavy fines.. So, if the old firm matches are as bad as that program portrayed, then when is it that its never made national news, i cant remember seeing it, and why arent they being fined and kick out of competitions, like Liverpool were some seasons ago...... when they protested their innocence, they'd already been made guilty

Both the managements for the teams (Rangers/ Celtic) claimed that it wasnt happening, or if it did, it was a minority ........ it wasnt all Everton and Man U fighting, it was a minority, yet the clubs still face fines.

Quick Reply: BBC 1 Now - Celtic Vs Rangers...more than football