Old 25 February 2005, 09:44 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Religion, whats it all about ?

Dont get me wrong, I respect other peoples beliefs,

but, and its a big one

Am I missing something ?

Ended up in church for a Christening and what a waste of two hours that was, obviously I wasnt there for myself I was there for my relatives, it was their occasion but we ended up in the main service.

What I really dont understand is how there are all these differing religions that all contradict each other on various points yet people are expected to beleive their religion is the one true way, this means that they think that all other religions are either wrong or misguided, things like the consumption of various foods, combinations of foods, the way an animal is slaughtered, contraception, sex before marriage, homosexuality, money lending etc etc

All the prayer stuff and the rituals seems like a collective case of obsessive compulsive disorder, repeating unpleasant and boring (even painful) things in the name of religion, denying yourself things like Sex and Bacon, how cruel is that, we arent here that long so why not be a responsible hedonist. No alcohol, ever, thats just pure evil.

I know somebody who truly beleives that we were created a couple of thousand years ago by Adam and Eve, FFS how can you argue with that !

I do reckon that there must be some kind of purpose to being but I think its a bit more esoteric and less defined than an old bearded guy running the show, and anyway why would the creator need all the prayers and being told how wonderful he is, I would imagine if it is all true that he would be constantly embarrassed due to all the creeping to him (or her)that religous people do.

Do we need the church for moral guidance, I personally was taught right and wrong by my parents. I can see how it is usefull for some people on a social basis but why all the mumbo jumbo, is it because we can't get our heads round the fact we just die, a collective delusion to try and distract us from this fact ?
Old 25 February 2005, 09:47 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

people love to be in a gang and kiss ****......from playground to church. Its all about one bloke with power getting a lot of **** kissin'
Old 25 February 2005, 09:54 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Each to his/her own.
I replied to a thread on here a while back in the same vein, explaining my beliefs, I'm Pagan.
The only thing I do not like about other religions and beliefs is the way they play people off against each other. Look at most wars in this poor old world of ours and see what caused it.
I can't see what the possible answer is or could be.
I stick to my belief because Paganism does not require you to kow-tow to any supreme being. BUT we must live our lives in harmony as best we can with nature and the ever changing world we live in.
The ultimate rule is, if we do badly against someone, we will eventually get it back 3 times over. A pretty sobering rule to abide by.
Old 25 February 2005, 10:10 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Apparition, that sounds similar to my own belief system

What goes around, comes around.

Do you get to dance round in the woods at midnight with naked women or is that just my furtive imagination, I think if it is, most of SN will join up.
Old 25 February 2005, 10:12 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

The Official God FAQs

http://www.400monkeys.com/God/
Old 25 February 2005, 10:15 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Ha ha ha ... since I'm a female of the species I can answer that one first hand. Nope , don't do any of that stuff.
Paganism is a very misrepresented belief. I know there are those who sway towards wicca and witches etc and all that , that encompasses. But I'm more of a solo path sort. I choose my own way and study it all from my own persepctive.
If truth be told, I'd guess there are marginally more people out there of our ilk than most others.
Old 25 February 2005, 10:22 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Just reading up on it, can cope with most of it but not Gods, Goddesses and ceremonies, the bits that ring true are the 'what goes around' bit and the 'combined subconcious spirit of all living things'.
Old 25 February 2005, 10:54 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

In my opinion it was invented by priests to keep control over the masses.
Say 15000 years ago -
"why shouldn't I rape and pillage and steal and murder"
"cos you will make others sad"
"like I give a flying fek"

"why shouldn't I rape and pillage and steal and murder"
"cos if you do you will burn in hell forever"
"sounds scary"
Old 25 February 2005, 10:54 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

whos gonna burn me??

God will

whose God??

you can't see him

etc etc
Old 25 February 2005, 10:56 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

although unseeable gods are a fairly recent invention. When science started to get to grips with planets and stars, the priests needed something which couldn't be so readily disproven, so they made it up
Old 25 February 2005, 10:57 PM
gareth123
Scooby Regular

Default Religion, whats it all about ?

Control.
Old 26 February 2005, 09:49 AM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Control
Exactly. A good analogy is when you were a child your parents may have said "Be a good boy/girl or Father Christmas won't come". At that age you would have been surrounded by Santa images and stories so you wanted to believe it in order to get rewarded.

This is like the strong control that the Christian (especially Catholic) church had over the people in the middle ages.

As you matured you began to disbelieve the Father Xmas stories and realised that it was just your parents buying those presents... it was a lie to keep you under control, but maybe you went along with it to get the reward on Xmas day.

This is like the modern day when many people are questioning monotheist religions.

Eventually, you became enlightened and accepted that there was no Father Xmas.

Hopefully this will happen to mankind in the future, we can live together as Humanists.
Old 26 February 2005, 12:28 PM
blueone
Scooby Regular

If you have faith, let nothing come between you and your God...

...this includes Religion
Old 26 February 2005, 01:50 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

GaryCat, very well put !
Old 26 February 2005, 01:53 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It has been natural during the existence of man to believe that there must be an all powerful being who is responsible for it all. That is why uncivilised tribes worhip either one or even a series of gods related to natural occurrances. You said yourself J4CKO that you feel there must be some kind of purpose for it all.

Religions usually teach their followers a particular way of life and in general it is to live a good life and be helpful to others. I know that is a generalisation but its not that far away from the truth.

What you actually believe is down to you of course and your own conscience. There is "natural law" of course and if you are a decent minded person you will tend to follow that with or without a religious upbringing.

Different styles of worship etc are to be expected in different religions, often relating to the living conditions in the part of the world the religion originated in.

I personally believe that the important thing is the way people conduct their lives. If their religion helps them to be a good person then that is no bad thing. I certainly would not decry a person for following an honest religious way of life, or to insult him for following one kind of religion rather than another, or for not following any religion for that matter!

I don't think that is important anyway. I look at it in the way that the God that they all worship is the same one anyway, should he exist, regardless of all the different names given to him.

Les
Old 26 February 2005, 02:06 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

There is no higher purpose Les, we are simply animals, and like every other species on the planet we evolved from single celled organisms crawling from the primordial swamps. As soon as scientists 'manufacture' life (as they are doing atm) from nothing more than gas and chemicals, then it's all over for god(s) and religion in my book.

Laws have taken over from religion now, we dont need it, end of.

But then what do I know
Old 26 February 2005, 07:06 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jye
There is no higher purpose Les, we are simply animals, and like every other species on the planet we evolved from single celled organisms crawling from the primordial swamps. As soon as scientists 'manufacture' life (as they are doing atm) from nothing more than gas and chemicals, then it's all over for god(s) and religion in my book.

Laws have taken over from religion now, we dont need it, end of.

But then what do I know
That is it. The only point of life is life. All any species requires is continuation.
Old 27 February 2005, 12:11 AM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

IMO, no-one more hypocritical than your neighbourhood muslim..........
Old 27 February 2005, 12:13 AM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Taff107
IMO, no-one more hypocritical than your neighbourhood muslim..........
here he goes again
Old 27 February 2005, 12:15 AM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

Always talking moses......
Old 27 February 2005, 12:16 AM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Taff107
Always talking moses......

yes u do
Old 27 February 2005, 09:20 AM
john_s
Scooby Regular

I too believe religion is an outdated method of controlling the population.

Don't get me wrong though, I respect the right of anyone to have their own beliefs.

Look at all the trouble that has been caused by religion from the middle ages up to the present day.

I heard a "man of god" (not sure which denomination) giving out the thought for the day on radio 4 several years ago. He was talking about the troubles in Northern Ireland, but it just about summed up the state of religion full stop; it was something along the lines of "It's all about Protestants and Catholics, but there's not a Christian between them."

John.
Old 27 February 2005, 11:02 AM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by john_s
I too believe religion is an outdated method of controlling the population.

Don't get me wrong though, I respect the right of anyone to have their own beliefs.

Look at all the trouble that has been caused by religion from the middle ages up to the present day.

I heard a "man of god" (not sure which denomination) giving out the thought for the day on radio 4 several years ago. He was talking about the troubles in Northern Ireland, but it just about summed up the state of religion full stop; it was something along the lines of "It's all about Protestants and Catholics, but there's not a Christian between them."

John.
capitalism and globalisition is to oppress man , religion is cool if practiced, which majority of us dont do
Old 27 February 2005, 11:17 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Taff 107,

If you are going to make a statement like that then you should be able to justify it, otherwise keep it to yourself.

Les
Old 27 February 2005, 03:46 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

See ? Relgion causes all sorts of trouble....even on Scoobynet .