Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Animal "sense" (dogs)

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2005, 11:13 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Animal "sense" (dogs)

We had 3 dogs, a Golden and 2 Cavaliers. All three were great mates to the extent that if we took out Fern, the Golden for a walk on her own the two Cavaliers would wait by the door whimpering and whining constantly until Fern returned. Sadly my Golden was hit by the big C and we had her put to sleep on Tuesday. A horrible day. This was done at home by the vet but the extraordinary thing was that the Cavaliers sensed almost immediately that their pal had gone and they just got on with things without a whine or whimper and have been fine since. I had heard that dogs do react like this but I had not actually experienced it myself. I had thought that they might spend several minutes sniffing around but it was virtually an instantaneous realisation. I know that if I had taken Fern off to the vet then they would have been pining for days. How on earth does this happen? Anyone witnessed this with their own dogs or animals?

My best mate for nine years

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t/Fernie-A.jpg

David
Old 24 February 2005, 11:16 AM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about that mate!
Old 24 February 2005, 11:41 AM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Know exactly how you feel. Had to put my little mate to sleep after Xmas, also the big C. Worst thing I've ever had to do... miss him soooo much.

Old 24 February 2005, 11:52 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock

--snip--

How on earth does this happen? Anyone witnessed this with their own dogs or animals?
Firstly, sorry to hear of your loss.

As to how, well you have to remember that dogs are not humans and as such their senses are not "configured" the same way as ours. Smell and sound are a much bigger priority for them where as we are much more sight orientated. I can't pass comment on the thought process that dogs go through on the demise of one of their fellows, but it would seem there are subtleties that they can pick up on that we cannot.
Old 24 February 2005, 12:10 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
We had 3 dogs, a Golden and 2 Cavaliers. All three were great mates to the extent that if we took out Fern, the Golden for a walk on her own the two Cavaliers would wait by the door whimpering and whining constantly until Fern returned. Sadly my Golden was hit by the big C and we had her put to sleep on Tuesday. A horrible day. This was done at home by the vet but the extraordinary thing was that the Cavaliers sensed almost immediately that their pal had gone and they just got on with things without a whine or whimper and have been fine since. I had heard that dogs do react like this but I had not actually experienced it myself. I had thought that they might spend several minutes sniffing around but it was virtually an instantaneous realisation. I know that if I had taken Fern off to the vet then they would have been pining for days. How on earth does this happen? Anyone witnessed this with their own dogs or animals?

My best mate for nine years

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t/Fernie-A.jpg

David
Sorry to hear that David.

I've seen it before - two dogs that were inseperable and pined for each other when apart. One had to be put to sleep (she was a fair old age though) and was taken to the vets.

The dog that was left at home was in a terrible state, so I took her along to the vets. We all sat together when the vet administered the injection, and passed away.

She knew immediately, gave a little sniff and just knew. Got home, and like your experiences, she just got on with it
Old 24 February 2005, 12:19 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks for nice messages peeps and fascinating to hear that others have experienced this. I was talking to a horse owner and she felt that horses also seemed to "know". David
Old 24 February 2005, 01:54 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

I had a cat that i had to put to sleep in the summer there he was only 6 & got some disease anyway his sister was always shy & wouldnt been seen very often, but when he passed away she now sits around everyone ............................. strange, i suppose maybe he was bullying her a little.