Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Crimewatch

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2005, 10:38 PM
Bottomfeeder
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Crimewatch

I have just sat open mouthed and watched this evenings Crimewatch ..........

Fella on a bus gets petrol poured over him and is set on fire
Another 'individual' has, for the last 12 years been breaking into elderly peoples homes and robbing them and if the mood takes him raping them.
3 guys raped a male nurse on his way to work

Nice to know that the two 'beat bobbies' in their Astra who pulled me over for 'driving suspiciously' earlier (30 in a 40(for the record, it was p1ssing with snow and in another 100 yards the road becomes 30mph)) were being utilised so sensibly.

Now I know that these crimes are billed as extreme and not everyday but please, please, please someone explain to me why I drive everywhere in a state of fear and paranoia and other people out there can rape, murder and steal without any worries

Last edited by Bottomfeeder; 23 February 2005 at 11:03 PM.
Old 23 February 2005, 11:23 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you think murders, rapists etc drive around in labelled cars or advertise the fact that they are about to commit a crime...???

Routine checks un-earth the incredible. If you have done nothing wrong then you'll be let go. Otherwise, if you are a criminal - you may be arrested, reported or (in the very least) have inteligence placed onto the system about you (ie known criminal using a particular vehicle)

Ted Bundy and Peter Sutcliffe were both caught by 'routine stop checks'
Old 23 February 2005, 11:24 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

cos nl has stripped any vestage of responsibility from the fabric of society..

we dont have victims.. just people who are crying out for help....

NL has a responsiblity to look after them

AND F*CK THE REST OF YOU ALL

M
Old 24 February 2005, 12:30 AM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Felix.
Yeah, but if you look at the number of times Sutcliffe was stopped or interviewed by the police prior to his arrest it just shows how bloody incompetent they were.
Old 24 February 2005, 07:35 AM
Bottomfeeder
Scooby Regular

Do you think murders, rapists etc drive around in labelled cars or advertise the fact that they are about to commit a crime...???

Routine checks un-earth the incredible. If you have done nothing wrong then you'll be let go. Otherwise, if you are a criminal - you may be arrested, reported or (in the very least) have inteligence placed onto the system about you (ie known criminal using a particular vehicle)

No I don't, I am fully aware that the police get lucky with their routine stops, that wasn't the point I was trying to make, I was trying to point out how appalling it is that I go about my daily business knowing full well there is a good chance I am gonna get 'my collar felt' and yet there are others for whom the prospect doesn't even register.

BTW the serial rapist travels by foot (according to intelligence)
Old 24 February 2005, 10:47 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bottomfeeder
No I don't, I am fully aware that the police get lucky with their routine stops, that wasn't the point I was trying to make, I was trying to point out how appalling it is that I go about my daily business knowing full well there is a good chance I am gonna get 'my collar felt' and yet there are others for whom the prospect doesn't even register.

BTW the serial rapist travels by foot (according to intelligence)

ok - stop a person on foot, stop them in a car - same difference, all intelligence gathering. Criminals will try and remain illusive, so its well worth stopping people as there are loads of them wanted for various things.

GSM1 - the point being he was stopped at a routine check and arrested. Not simply questioned as part of a larger group.
Old 24 February 2005, 11:10 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Of course, child rapists et al always make sure they speed or "drive suspiciously" so that they can be subject to the random checks
Old 24 February 2005, 11:39 PM
Bottomfeeder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by carl
Of course, child rapists et al always make sure they speed or "drive suspiciously" so that they can be subject to the random checks
I wasn't speeding, but they stopped me......must be my dashing good looks
Old 26 February 2005, 01:44 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Eh???

Random checks mean random checks. You don't have to be driving suspicious or badly.

However most criminals can't aford new cars and so get second hand bangers. Most newer cars are difficult to TWOC.

Random, random, random.........you never know what u might find
Old 26 February 2005, 01:45 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Random checks mean random checks. You don't have to be driving suspicious or badly.
But the original poster claimed he had been stopped for "driving suspiciously", not a random check.
Old 26 February 2005, 01:47 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

ok - stop a person on foot, stop them in a car - same difference, all intelligence gathering.
It's all a question of liberty. Next you'll be saying "if you've done nothing wrong, you have nothing to fear"

There was a good Benjamin Franklin quote in another thread:
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Old 26 February 2005, 01:47 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

suspicious because he was 10mph under the limit
Old 26 February 2005, 03:44 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

What r u lot on...?????????

Is it just me

If you stop enough people, you will stop all sorts of crims, stolen cars etc.

I've stopped cars before for no real reason. I have been with new recruits who need to find a drink driver. So we stop any cars we see, tell the driver its a routine check, if we can smell alcohol give him a breath test, if not allow him on his way with a few seconds. On one occasion about the 3rd or 4th car we stopped (driving perfectly normally) turned out to be an outstanding stolen car, 3 of the occupants were wanted for other offences and we found other stuff in the car.

Now, are u saying we should not be doing this sort of thing; or does this show good policing.
Old 26 February 2005, 05:04 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I am saying you should not be doing this sort of thing, regardless of whether it helps you to catch the odd criminal. It's the thin end of the wedge, you see. Should you urine test everybody at work to ensure they're not under the influence of drugs? Why not put a data logger in everyone's car to see if they're exceeding the speed limit? If you've done nothing wrong, then you have nothing to fear...
Old 27 February 2005, 02:33 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

I am saying you should not be doing this sort of thing, regardless of whether it helps you to catch the odd criminal. It's the thin end of the wedge, you see. Should you urine test everybody at work to ensure they're not under the influence of drugs? Why not put a data logger in everyone's car to see if they're exceeding the speed limit? If you've done nothing wrong, then you have nothing to fear...
Hey....why not

it will save.........."I'm sorry, the mechanic that serviced you car may have been high on heroin at the time - but what can we do"
Old 27 February 2005, 05:07 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

What r u lot on...?????????

Is it just me

If you stop enough people, you will stop all sorts of crims, stolen cars etc.

I've stopped cars before for no real reason. I have been with new recruits who need to find a drink driver. So we stop any cars we see, tell the driver its a routine check, if we can smell alcohol give him a breath test, if not allow him on his way with a few seconds. On one occasion about the 3rd or 4th car we stopped (driving perfectly normally) turned out to be an outstanding stolen car, 3 of the occupants were wanted for other offences and we found other stuff in the car.

Now, are u saying we should not be doing this sort of thing; or does this show good policing.
Yes and the good old british legal system says !!

Ahh, little Johnny has a hard upbringing and so on, right you are, off you go, no charge even if they go inside, what the ******* use is that? they are nearly in a 4 star hotel FFS "punishment should mean punishment" not a jolly at our ******* expence - make the *******s work, and work hard, but oh no, we couldn't do that, that would be against the little asshalfs human rights

I'm going to get flamed for this one but it would be nice to see some more coppers and judges get targeted by the crims and have their stuff nicked and damaged to see what it's like, then they might just think about whats going on!!!!!

Ah but you can't do that, the coffers won't let them go after criminals that they might have to investigate and spend time & money looking for, when the poor old motorist is an easy taget that doesn't cost that much, if indeed anything at all, to catch

No wonder people are losing faith in the legal system

Isn't good policing sitting behind a bush on a dual carrageway with a 50 limit making lots of money for the coffers, not going out to catch more rapists, burglars, muggers and the like, but no, good old joe motorist will make up the rest of the balance sheet
Old 27 February 2005, 05:26 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
That to me is low and an indefensible use of police resources.
But thats about normal these days as it's an easy way to increase the coffers

Why should they be solving serious crime when this is far better way for them to earn their wages
Old 27 February 2005, 05:32 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

tbo I'd hate be a copper these days, seriously thought about it a while back, but the job looks a bit of a cop out (PTP) now-a-days in relation to what I expect 'serve and protect' to mean.
Old 27 February 2005, 05:35 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

Same here Jye...I think if I had continued with going down that route I would be severely disillusioned too.
Old 27 February 2005, 05:42 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

yeah, the force seems to have lost the plot. When I backed out of the interview I got a phone call at home from the CC, asking why I had pulled out. I told him after discussion with various m8's in the force I decided it wasnt for me. He threw a complete wobbly on the phone, shouting and demanded I put it in writing naming my m8's. He was told where to go with 'your arrogance is exactly why I'm not interested' as my parting comment. Silly tw@t got some other plod from recruitment to phone me (good cop, bad cop ) and I told him my reasons for not attending were mine and mine alone and would they stop harassing members of the PUBLIC Bloody civil servants, sheesh

Last edited by Jye; 27 February 2005 at 05:44 PM.
Old 27 February 2005, 06:04 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

He should have appreciated the fact that you pulled out when you did therefore sparing the cost of recruitment and training that could have been used for another applicant. Just think, if you got behaviour like that from the top, how bad would the others have been??!?!
Old 27 February 2005, 08:09 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Don't forget folks, still probably the best pension going for most people. Start young, get your 30 years in, pension and still time for another job.
Many will do what they're told for that.
Me cynical. Surely not!
Old 28 February 2005, 07:45 AM
damian666
Scooby Regular

I started my application, but after seeing the tactics that the police resort to to catch 'criminals' on the road and in general, I've not followed up on it. This is after I passed the PIRT by the by.

One of the drivers where I work was seriously assaulted, and the end result of it all was 'we will keep an eye out for them' even though we had CCTV footage, and the driver wanted to press charges etc.

Another time, a driver had his money and delvery stolen by a bunch of kids who were still there an hour later (other drivers had driven past on delivery) to no avail - the police had not even turned up yet.

In my eyes, if this is how the modern police service is run, I'd like as little to do with it as possible.
Old 28 February 2005, 08:12 AM
Chris5-0
Scooby Regular

Another cracking thread!!!

Good to know the same narrow minded fools are still running amok on scoobynet! My god, you mean we haven't caught all the rapists, murderers and paedophiles in the country but we stop cars? And then when it transpires you've done nothing wrong we let you go? What a set of barstewards! But haven't we just checked to make sure your pride and joy is still your pride and joy and not in the hands of some chav?? Nice car is it? No thanks neccessary mate just doing our jobs!

Tell you what, watched a programme on builders last night, one of them did a dodgy job and a house fell down but you know what? Saw another one today with the audacity to be quoting for work to be done to another house!! How dare he after the events of yesterday, all builders are crap!!

And the funniest thing is, some people on here think we give a crap what they think, don't you know all cops have skin as thick as rhino's from dealing with muppets day in day out, just that some of us try occasionally to help you see our side.
Old 28 February 2005, 08:46 AM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

Chris and Felix: serious question - are you allowed to stop people at random?
Old 28 February 2005, 10:02 PM
Chris5-0
Scooby Regular

Serious question, serious answer.

In vehicles we have the power under the road traffic act to stop any vehicle in order to check documentation ie insurance, MOT etc. we also stop any vehicle we have reason to believe may be dodgy, carrying a drink driver etc. So basically we can yes.

People is slightly different, we can stop anyone for a word but need specific grounds for a search etc. Very grey area and we have to be careful these days!
Old 28 February 2005, 10:17 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

So Felix how were the police going to stand any chance of catching real criminals by inspecting bike parks where the owners were busy at work and the bikes unattended? (as per my thread)

You as a police officer defend their actions but why? You think being the same as a traffic warden is good use of the police time in solving serious crime? No its an easy way for the police to go out and raise serious amounts of cash by issuing tickets to bikers while they arnt even there to ask what the ticket is for :mad

That to me is low and an indefensible use of police resources.
Do u think the entire police force would have been out on that particular operation.............er.............no. Different personnel would have been utilised, leaving the response shifts to deal with your so called 'real criminals', emergency calls, domestics, RTA,s, missing from homes, suspicious people, fights, sudden deaths etc etc etc.

By the way - the police gather evidence and put the case before a court. We have no say in the matter after that. Sometimes they will get let off other cases sometimes don't get past CPS. This has nothing to do with the police and some dicisions annoy us as well.

If you have commited a minor traffic offence, you get a minor fine, no points - learn and move on.
Old 28 February 2005, 10:54 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

No I should have been told to change it and given a producer requiring me to turn up at the station within a set time for something that is pretty much the most minor offence you can commit. £40 because my plate was ever so slightly non standard that I hadn't even thought of as being a stopable/fineable offence as its that non obvious? Yeah thats a real crime that poses a danger to other road users Its criminal that you as the police can go round generating funds in such an underhand manor.

With police resources at such a stretch why wasn't the police officer who was so busy checking us hardened criminal bikers actually placed on duties that would have benefitted the community such as investigating crimes or responding to 999 calls. We all know of instances when people call the police only to be told sorry we haven't got anyone available to attend right now, we will be there as quick as we can and 2 hours later they turn up. Well surprise surprise if they weren't out ******* well doing menial tasks such as checking number plates on parked up bikes they might actually be able to help someone who actually needs help But oh no thats no good as it doesn't raise any money!!!

Nothing more than tax collectors/glorified traffic wardens out to issue as many tickets as possible.
So vehicles with minor defects should not be checked and allowed to continue. Ever heard of (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) ANPR? How is this system suppose to work when you use non standard plates..!!??

The vehicle should have standard plates on, or it will fail a MOT. Therefore the plates have either been altered or swapped. This would therefore appear to be committing the offence at the onset and so is dealt with by a fine. Different to a light not working, which could have blown during the journey - this will get a defect form to have the fault put right.

As in my previous post, this operation would not use response personnel. They would use people such as Traffic, Fire arms officers, Support units - who cannot be classed as response in case they get tied up in a complex crime/public disorder/MFH/domestic etc etc. Hence if a major fire arms job came in, the officers can drop things (such as giving out tickets to bikers)and go. This would be inpossible if they were tied into an incident. I suggest that this is a good use of resources.

I don't see myself as a tax collector, i work on the response teams, rarely give out tickets to motorists, work 12 hour shifts and rarely get a meal break, work my socks off and often put my life on the line for the good of the community.

I suggest the legal process for dealing with crime and punishment needs to be addressed before anyone can have a go at the police service and its personnel.

Quick Reply: Crimewatch