Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

On my way home tonight (this morning)

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2005, 03:57 AM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On my way home tonight (this morning)

Minding my own business, myself, GF and friend walking home. Cross side street, walk behind car which has come to the t junction that we are crossing.

I step onto the pavement on the other side, the car that we have just walked behind mounts the pavement (me un aware, eating pizza, slightly worse for wear), runs over my foot, I spin round hitting wing mirror, drop 3/4 of my pizza (face down, absolutely gutted), my mate seeing whats happened puts 18 stone behind his foot and places said foot into door, car drives off.

Phone 999, report incident, car reg, description of car (including at least 6 stuff dogs on rear shelf), pizza on floor, fact that guy driving is clearly drunk. Plod take details ask if I need medi asst, which I decline. "Which way was he heading"? Blah, blah. OK we will look out for him and someone will call round to your house tomorrow to take statement.

Few minutes later, plod calls me back, stating that no one will call round tomorrow, I will have to call into local station and report incident. I ask repeatedly, "You have reg number, you know where he lives, will you be attending his house to breathilize (SP?). "I cannot comment" was the reply.

WTF?

Driver is driving dangerously (SP?), Failed to stop after accident, no way he did not hear wing mirror or my mates size 10 in his door. Giving his reg number, I have two addtional witnesses, what the **** more do they want?

Thankfully, my foot appears to be ok, having said that it could be the drink. More concerned that it could been a lot worse or the driver could have gone on to a more dangerous accident.

Not at all 'ucking happy.

What is this country coming to?

Last one out turn the light off....
Old 19 February 2005, 04:28 AM
Alas
Scooby Regular

What flavour pizza was it
Alas
Old 19 February 2005, 07:29 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Buckrogers
...my mates size 10 in his door...
Hello

You should be careful about admitting causing damage to property (not joking) as that is actually the most provable "crime" in the scenario you just described.

I hope the foot is okay.

Steve.
Old 19 February 2005, 07:58 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

Few minutes later, plod calls me back, stating that no one will call round tomorrow, I will have to call into local station and report incident. I ask repeatedly, "You have reg number, you know where he lives, will you be attending his house to breathilize (SP?). "I cannot comment" was the reply.

it's not just the UK. Last week there was an incident here in NZ where a woman got seriously sexually assaulted at a party in the early hours; she made an emergency call to the police, told them what had happened and that the offender was still on the premises.

The police response?

That the place she was calling from was only 10 minutes walk from a police station - could she walk round to the police station?

WTF?

Difference in this case from yours is that this one made the national dailies - looks like your case isn't going anywhere ......
Old 19 February 2005, 10:11 AM
blueone
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alas
What flavour pizza was it
Alas
Pavement by the sounds of it! LOL

Seriously though if it was me and I had the Reg I would be contacting DVLA to obtain the registered owners details. What you then do with this information is up to you. You could with all the witnesses you have pursue a private prosecution for dangerous driving or just go for a civil case and damages. Or you could do something else with the Registered keepers details. If it was a company car I am sure that the company concerned would be interested to hear about it. Or you could take some mates and pay a friendly visit to say hello!
Old 19 February 2005, 10:32 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Get your foot checked out at the local hospital as well. At least then there will be a record of any bruising etc that you have. Otherwise its just your wordagainst his that he ran over your foot.

Chip
Old 19 February 2005, 12:25 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If a complaining party is intoxicated then I doubt he or she would make a reliable witness. That's my guess as to why plod won't act.

I like the idea of getting the drivers name and address and ahem 'compaining' privately.

Hope your foot is ok.

Suresh

Trending Topics

Old 19 February 2005, 12:47 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Not necessarily true.

I was walking back with my boss the other night in Brick Lane (both sozzled/unsober) & there was a little fracas with a couple of lads, culminating in the theft of boss's wallet, assault and a chase etc. Plod arrived mob-handed within minutes & since then we've had at least 2 calls concerning the matter from them & I daresay there'll be more. Point is that neither of us was sober at the time but boss is still being taken seriously.
Old 19 February 2005, 03:11 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Im sure the description of the car would be passed out to patrols for observations. Its not easy tracking down a single car in a town. Most keeper details of cars are in correct and how do you know that he is heading for home anyway? As you were uninjured in the accident (you declined medical treatment) the enquiries will be followed in the next few weeks. CPS now require the moon on a stick from police so enquiries will take a bit of time. Contact the local police at any time to find out what is going on with the case. As the saying goes "THE NOISEY WHEEL GETS THE GREASE".

Good luck
Old 19 February 2005, 03:48 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Lesson number one in such a situation:

Phone an ambulance. While waiting for it to arrive phone the police, tell them that an ambulance is on its way.

If you are uninjured where is the problem, from the perspective of the police? If you are injured, awaiting an ambulance and go on to die from the accident that they didn't bother to investigate then someone in the local police station is in big trouble. They can't take that risk.
Old 19 February 2005, 04:12 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

You should of requested medical assistance, you never know they may have taken it a little more seriously?
Old 19 February 2005, 04:34 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

as above...if you dont need medical assistance whats the problem??? hello police...a man drove over my foot...but im fine!
the only obvious "crime" is your kick happy mate.......other than that its just you saying "i think hes drunk". there are few police and lots of idiots...they need good reason to chase up yours.

T

tp clarify...the advice above is how to get it dealt with...not a suggestion the police SHOULDNT deal with it
Old 19 February 2005, 05:13 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Poor pizza

Old 19 February 2005, 05:19 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Make a formal complaint, see what they say to that!
Old 19 February 2005, 07:46 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

..."I cannot comment" was the reply.

WTF?
Maybe they checked on the PNC and the driver/owner is an off-duty copper...?
Old 19 February 2005, 11:27 PM
Walwal
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Harry_Boy
Maybe they checked on the PNC and the driver/owner is an off-duty copper...?
More than likely.
Old 20 February 2005, 10:21 AM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
as above...if you dont need medical assistance whats the problem??? hello police...a man drove over my foot...but im fine!
the only obvious "crime" is your kick happy mate.......other than that its just you saying "i think hes drunk". there are few police and lots of idiots...they need good reason to chase up yours.

T

tp clarify...the advice above is how to get it dealt with...not a suggestion the police SHOULDNT deal with it
The point is, I felt the driver was clearly drunk. The way he approached the junction and the resulting mounting of the pavement and hitting me. I was not right next to the edge. He drove up the pavement roughly to the middle of the pavement. Thankfully my injury was not that bad. I was more concerned with the state of the driver and what he could do on his way home or whatever.

He must of just clipped my foot as I guess had he run over it there would be broken bones. Foot is fine to walk on, no pain at all. Slight busing to touch.

Pizza was some "meat feast" / pavement flavour!

Fully appricate (sp?) that the police have a tough job to do more so on a busy friday night. Perhaps I should have called the local station and not 999. I don't know how calls are handled / routed when calling 999. Is it a national call centre or something? Or are the calls routed to local level?

Thanks for the concern, as I said foot appears to be ok. Thankfully, as I'm off snow boarding in two weeks.
Old 20 February 2005, 05:18 PM
celticpilgrim
Scooby Regular

the behaviour of the police baffles the lot of us..a few years ago, I was driving down the hill on the A46 towards the roundabout at the viaduct (just in case you know where it is) and some tw*t in a golf started giving me grief 'cos i was sticking to the speed limit and wouldn't get out of the way. He undertook me on the hatchings, got in front of me then dropped anchor....I was in My Rangie at the time which wasn't the fastest stopping car in the world. How I didn't hit him, I'll never know. Cutting it short, I took his reg plate and reported him, cops did nothing even though they knew where he lived, and hinted that he was known to them. Point I'm trying to make is that if I'd have hit him, I'd have been the one in the ****, even though physics says Range Rover vs Golf = dead Golf!!

Know how you feel mate....