Seriously pi$$ed off with accident driver

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2005, 09:25 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Seriously pi$$ed off with accident driver

As you know some numpty rearranged the back of the stealth scoob

we havn,t been able to contact him and have now given him 9 days to contact his insurance company....

The scoob has been assesed, and we are waiting for the assesors report ???

Today the other half rings me at work, she,s quite upset,(unusuall for my other half , to say the least)

A letter has arrived from his insurance company denying all knowledge of an incedant, and asking me to provide evidance linking there insured to the incident..

I had a feeling he would do something like that!!

now my mrs, is worried that i will loose my ncb, and any subsequent car will cost a fortune to insure, and i will get saddled with the costs for the hire car i,m in at the mo (not cheap to run either)

I spoke to my insurance co. who have advised me that i need to provide evidence that can be used to link him to the accident...

"Like some 6x4 glossy photo,s showing him looking at the damage to his and my car i suggests!!"

that would be good if you had somthing like that my ins, co advised..

then the penny dropped.

LUCKILY i had my digital camera with me, and took pictures of the scene and the damage. I also have a police incident number, as i was injured in the RTA which will be forwarded also..

was i well pi$$ed of or what..

Mart
Old 18 February 2005, 09:52 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

if you were injured (and reported at the scene) then the Police have to investigate the cause by law................therefore they should be able to provide details of ALL parties involved............
alyn
Old 18 February 2005, 09:55 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Smile

LUCKILY i had my digital camera with me, and took pictures of the scene and the damage.
Unfortunalty DIGITAL PHOTO'S are not allowed as you can photoshop them.

I also have a police incident number, as i was injured in the RTA which will be forwarded also..
Daft question but why his he denying being involved if the Police attended as you were injured they would have taken his details at the scene and you have a incident number

then its job done, case over,
Claim as much as you can off the slimy tw@t
Old 18 February 2005, 10:07 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Angry

Re the digital camera..

if you look at the shots, you would need to be bloody good to have them altered..

also they have been printed at a local camerashop, so they are on photostock, thatway they have to be sent..

i only have to prove a link to the scene of the accident...

anyway digi pics are ok for insurance companys when they asesse your car!!

the police were not called to the scene, as it was a simple 2 car shunt in a que of traffic.. it was reported, as i had a whiplash injury

i think by not reporting it to his ins co, he can get his car repaired, and then deny all knowledge of an incident.. u know there nothing wrong with my car, come and look!!

it makes me seriously pissed!!

Mart
Old 18 February 2005, 10:13 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Its a ****er mate, been in a similat situation. My advice - get a PROPER solictor, ie one you pay for and he will hand you their **** on a plate and his costs come out billed to the insurance company
Old 18 February 2005, 10:59 PM
benjai
Scooby Regular

Angry

Like Stueyb says, get a good solicitor, and my advice is don't back down on anything.

I was T-boned by a ******** who pulled out of a side road into my drivers door a couple of years back. He admitted liability at the scene, and also later admitted liability to his insurers. Open and shut case I thought. A week or so later, I am informed that I am being held completely responsible for the accident because I cut the corner into the junction and hit the front of his car with the side of mine (a physical impossibility given the geometry of the junction), and furthermore that there was a "witness" (and I use the term advisedly) who had made a statement confirming this. Despite all the evidence that the accident did not happen as they described (and the laws of physics) and the information that the "witness" had provded a fraudulent (and I use that word advisedly as well) statement, my (crap) solicitor explained that a witness statement would sway any legal challenge in their favour and that I should accept liability! To cut a long story short, basically 9 months later I got bored and instructed my solicitor to take them to court, whereapon the "witness" withdrew their statement and the third party's insurers settled in full.

So my advice is accept nothing less than full settlement (unless you decide the hassle isn't worth it - it's your call).

Just out of interest, exactly how were you able to obtain the third partys details, car reg, name, address, insurance policy number etc, if he/she hadn't given them to you, which they would only reasonably do at the scene of an accident in which they were involved. If you have to legally "prove" that a third party was at an accident, how are you supposed to do it in everyday life. I actually wondered how useful a continuous video from a bumper-cam of journeys would be if anything like this happened. Anyone know if this would be admissible?
Old 18 February 2005, 11:13 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by benjai
Like Stueyb says, get a good solicitor, and my advice is don't back down on anything.

I was T-boned by a ******** who pulled out of a side road into my drivers door a couple of years back. He admitted liability at the scene, and also later admitted liability to his insurers. Open and shut case I thought. A week or so later, I am informed that I am being held completely responsible for the accident because I cut the corner into the junction and hit the front of his car with the side of mine (a physical impossibility given the geometry of the junction), and furthermore that there was a "witness" (and I use the term advisedly) who had made a statement confirming this. Despite all the evidence that the accident did not happen as they described (and the laws of physics) and the information that the "witness" had provded a fraudulent (and I use that word advisedly as well) statement, my (crap) solicitor explained that a witness statement would sway any legal challenge in their favour and that I should accept liability! To cut a long story short, basically 9 months later I got bored and instructed my solicitor to take them to court, whereapon the "witness" withdrew their statement and the third party's insurers settled in full.

So my advice is accept nothing less than full settlement (unless you decide the hassle isn't worth it - it's your call).

Just out of interest, exactly how were you able to obtain the third partys details, car reg, name, address, insurance policy number etc, if he/she hadn't given them to you, which they would only reasonably do at the scene of an accident in which they were involved. If you have to legally "prove" that a third party was at an accident, how are you supposed to do it in everyday life. I actually wondered how useful a continuous video from a bumper-cam of journeys would be if anything like this happened. Anyone know if this would be admissible?

car reg was written down, & photoed,

the details he gave me, i passed onto the police,
i did an electoral roll search for the address he gave...
the insurance details were supplied by my insurance co, who confirmed that according to the insurance database he had insurance.

oh and i have part of his bumper wedged into my towbar, so if needs be i can get it analysed to determine what car it came from!!!

Mart

Trending Topics

Old 19 February 2005, 08:38 AM
benjai
Scooby Regular

Mart

I wasn't questioning the validity of your evidence.... rather trying to make the point that you were unlikely to be able to have obtained the evidence if they hadn't been involved in an accident with you. It all seems rather compelling to me..... Don't suppose you got any DNA

It does seem rediculous that the insurance company don't bother to do any investigation - but that is the way it is, and it is the same with solicitors too. When I was rear-ended a long time ago, I got a letter from the third partys solicitors within the week saying "as you drove at speed into the rear of my clients car, we hold you fully responsible and look forward to seeing you in court". No matter that the damage to his car was frontal and the damage to mine was in the rear!

Good luck......
Old 19 February 2005, 10:24 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I still think you may have a problem getting your digital photos accepted as evidence I'm afraid.

Best of liuck anyway, I imagine the fact that you have his registration number and insurance company must be pretty strong evidence.

It is lucky you reported the accident to the police. That is a legal requirement since there was damage and your injury involved.

Les
Old 19 February 2005, 10:30 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

The digital photographs may be dodgy in court, if it gets that far, but they would probably be sufficient to convince the bloke's insurance company that their client is a lieing b4stard though!

My mate had a similar incident when the other party changed their story after the event. My mate supplied digital photos and the insurance companies decided between them that the other guy was at fault, despite his continuing lies.

Its a sad indictment of a society that no longer takes responsibility for its actions, and it's not helped by a government that is all in favour of helping to remove responsibility from people.
Old 19 February 2005, 10:53 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Unbelievable, I'm sorry to read that Mart. Hope it works out.
Old 19 February 2005, 01:33 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Hear hear ajm.

Les
Old 19 February 2005, 03:01 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Mart.

Get back in touch with the PC who is dealing. Ask him to provide any evdence he can for identification purposes (his own statement or that of a witness) Ask Scene of Crimes to photo your damage.

If hes trying to deny being there and its proven that he was, then any further accounts of the accident he gives will probably be doubted. It could be that he has no insurance or is a disqualified driver.
Old 19 February 2005, 07:41 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Felix.
Mart.

Get back in touch with the PC who is dealing. Ask him to provide any evdence he can for identification purposes (his own statement or that of a witness) Ask Scene of Crimes to photo your damage.

If hes trying to deny being there and its proven that he was, then any further accounts of the accident he gives will probably be doubted. It could be that he has no insurance or is a disqualified driver.
According to my ins co, he has insurance, and i guess that is correct, as i have had a letter from them basically stating i must provide evidence that he was there/ involved.

i shall forward the 4 photo,s , the police incidant No., and the paper he wrote his details on,

incedentally i still have the photo,s locked into my phone, time stamped as to when they were taken,.. and subsequent prints would show no changes..

as there were no witness,s (who wants to get involved these days!!) it was a simple exchange of details, it was reported to the police as i suffered whiplash/ back injury.

I will drop in and see them again and see if it alters anything.

the RTA file has been pased to there collision incidant team, there may be a due care and atttention issue.. now that would help also..

Mart
Old 19 February 2005, 07:43 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
...and the paper he wrote his details on,

Mart
For gawd's sake keep a copy Mart....
Old 19 February 2005, 07:50 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Harry_Boy
For gawd's sake keep a copy Mart....

Hi Harry,

oops thats what i meant, a scanned copy of the paper

Mart
Old 19 February 2005, 08:12 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Hi Harry,
Wotcha Mart Hope you get it sorted mate!
oops thats what i meant, a scanned copy of the paper
Mart
Phew.....
Old 19 February 2005, 09:51 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

I keep a throw away camera in my car for just this kind of incident. Only cost a few quid could save thousands. Its a wortwhile tip, pics wont be prize winners but will do in a court.....
My Daughter had a similar incident and I got all the drivers in the house a camera.
get one tomorrow, put it in your boot or somewhere.