Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rave review, Frantic (Feat. Freeformation Hardcore arena) 12/5/05

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2005, 12:10 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Rave review, Frantic (Feat. Freeformation Hardcore arena) 12/5/05

This is getting to be a habit now. The amount of Hard Dance nights I am attending because of the inclusion of a Hardcore arena are definitely on the increase. However if it is done as well as this one then I have no problem with that at all.

It seems laughable that only a few months ago Frantic was firmly in the "It'll be a cold day in hell before I set foot in there" catagory. However, after plucking up the courage to attend (with a little help from HTID) and walking away SERIOUSLY impressed I was more than curious to see what the next party would come up with.

It would seem that Frantic were not willing to rest on their laurels after their first party. Having covered a broad range of the Hardcore spectrum with HTID, they amply covered another portion with the inclusion of Nu Energy's Freeformation promotion.

A promotion with a more "Serious" musical outlook than most, Freeformation has gone from freeparties in large bars to large venue collaborations with some of the biggest names in Hard Dance and Hardcore such as Atomic Energy, Future Dance and on this occasion Frantic.

With that in mind, as well as the venue in question, there was only one place to be, as well as that, the lineup guaranteed my attendance. As usual for Freeformation, the best and the brightest abounded.

Immediately leaping out from the flyer, Marc Smith, Kevin Energy, Sharkey and AMS held the Freeform end of the spectrum up. As well as that guaranteed crowd puller like Hixxy, Sy, Brisk, and Scott Brown were also in attendance. Lastly but by no means leastly AMS, Gamma, Stormtrooper, and Robbie Long were put to work in a back to back capacity.

If that werent enough, the MC lineup was notable for its mix of mainstays like Odyssey and Whizzkid and those of the lesser spotted variety like Ethos and a rarity these days, Sharkey in his vocal capacity.

Of course, it wouldnt be Freeformation without the Nu Energy Live PA and on this occasion the ravers were getting a double helping. A Hard Dance composition in the main arena and then a 100% Hardcore example in the Red Arch. Oh and an overstimulated astraboy in the crowd. Guaranteed.

The only part of the night that was a let down was me turning up late, again! I really have to get more organised in future, my slackness meant I missed AMS and Gamma's back to back set, which I was not happy about, but I soon brightened up when I saw the DJ on the decks as I walked in.

Scot Brown was coming towards the end of his set as I arrived. Not too far into it though as the first tune I recognised was the classic "Elysium" which, as well as the welcome appearence of MC Ethos on the mic saw the nicely full arena getting down to the music and the pair of recent additions happily join them.

However, just as we were getting into the classic tunage, Scot darked the place up by changing to his Gabba selection. Once again the majority of the selection was unknown yet danceable, with "Boomstick" being made VERY welcome by the assembled masses as Scot finished off his hour in the most popular fashion.

Next up were a pairing I really wanted to see. The last time I saw Robbie Long and Stormtrooper pair up, I was seriously impressed so i was looking forward to this. With a more mainstream crowd to contend with, a full on breakbeat selection was unlikely, but together with Sharkey and Ethos on the mic they kept both camps happy with a varied selection of tunes.

I couldnt tell you the names of many (well, any if I'm honest) but what I did like was the way they hopped back and forth from the breakbeat sound to the kick driven and back again. The ravers were kept on their toes throughout this eclectic tune selection and I was loving it as well.

By this time my night was well underway. Despite that I couldn't help notice my surroundings and the differences that were made to the arena I am now so familiar with. Carpet was the main addition. I can't remember the last time the red arch was carpeted and even then I dont remember it being this fluffy. Still it was a nice addition.

As well as that the rest of the rave was of a good standard of production with the noticable lack of strobes combining with the white draping that stretched round the arena. It would appear the Hardcore arena was the white arena this time round.

Still, nice as the arena was, it was no substitute for the music. Next up was one of the reasons I was at the rave. Marc Smith is one of my firm favourite DJs within the scene for reasons I have mentioned countless times before and am happy to do again.

Awesome. Music. Selection.

He just does it for me. End of chat. And with the welcome addition of MC Odyssey on the mic they took me on another musical journey not to be forgotten. The bulk of the set was of Marc's signature, fast paced and energy filled with tunes like "Goldenchild", "Gravity" and "Like a mainiac" all doing the business and really getting the crowd going as his hour progressed.

However, the best was yet to come. Even though the tempo of the set was maintained, he happily brought it crashing back down to earth with "I'm a Raverbaby" and best of all "State of Emergency" to finish off his time and give me a well deserved rest from dancing.

Only for a few minutes though as yet another highlight of the night was upon us. The much awaited 100% Hardcore Nu Energy PA is a rarity and as such I am always willing to make the trip to see it.

Even though the PA was Vinnyless, the music more than compensated. Freeform is at its best when these guys go at it for an hour and the nature of the music's creation with no set jobs for Kev Energy, K- Komplex, AMS and Sharkey means that all four of them are darting round the stage, one minute on the PC, the next on the keyboards, then scratching it up on the decks, then on the mic.

Of course the stage show was hosted by the one and only MC Sharkey, but also making an appearence was Odyssey to provide a constant MC talent to compliment the music.

This was the main reason I was there. Awesome music from the word go and created 100 % live as well. as is usually the case, the collective started out on a slower tip, them upped the BPMs and the ferocity of the tunes as the hour progressed. Understandably most of this progression was a dance fuelled blur, but notable highlights included starting out the hour with "Adagio", then moving steadily upwards before moving foward with "Freedom", going bonkers with all 1500 bpms of "Pig" before fading that out to "Show you the way".

Before long it was the the end of the set and with Sharkey personally thanking the crowd for their part of the performance the Collective wound up the music and made their way off stage to applause from the ravers with the stamina to stay the full hour.

By this time the party was turning into more of an endurance contest. I had two hours of the best music under my belt and next up was Brisk and another hour from Odyssey. Not that I was complaining though, I know what Brisk usually comes up with and I werent dissapointed either.

It was a break from the freeform, but the BPMs were still up as high as I like them. Add to that the vocal aspect of the tunes and a pleasent mix of popular tunes such as "Just be happy", "This is Extreme" and a curious remix of Alice Coopers "You're poision" and you had one hell of a set to gt on with some serious stomping. Even better when you are accompanied with Whizzkid and Odyssey going b2b and the latter dropping "Touch of Deja Vu" during "Just be happy".

In a break from tradition, the next DJ took the 4-5 set and it was the DJ that usually takes the 5-6 set. Sy, together with, once again, Odyssey and Whizzkid going b2b on the mic. The slightly earlier set allwed Sy a little more room to experiment with his tune selction, but as usual their was no let up in the two departments I love most about his sets, namely the dancability and the bounciness.

Throughout the set it was just as good as it always is, the tunes impelling me to dance and the MCs hyping the place up like the professionals they are. Firm favourites like the remixes of "Discoland" and "free your mind" as well as "Pacific Sun", and Yeah Baby" mixed with tunes he dont always play like "Let the bass drum roll" and my personal favourite "Rock ya Hardcore". Saw me dancing right through to the final tune of the set.

All too soon, the last set was upon us and in another breakaway from tradition, Hixxy took to the decks to play out the last hour. Having been with us for most of the Damn rave anyway, Whizzkid and Odyssey did the decent thing and stayed on for the last hour. Even though the place was nearing the final hour, loads of ravers were left to party to the last tune and Hixxy was more than happy to oblige.

I was curious as to what he would come up with tbh as I had not seen a final hour set from him which was not a promised anthem fest for quite a while now. Of course he was going to keep it upfront and vocal, but the odd tangent was noticable, especially at the start of the set when he dropped "Feel so real" and "Gonna catch you if I can" to start off.

The remainder of the set was just as entertaining with the bulk of his tunes firm favourites like "Heartbeatz" and "I Adore" but the ocassional eyebrow raiser and foot punisher being dropped in such as "This is how we do it". Finally the last DJ of the night maintained the vogue of finishing on a few gabba tunes as Hix played out "State of Emergency" before the ravers demanded one more. The DJ obliged and the final tune, a fierce but unnamable gabba stomper, played out as the main arena shut down, giving the departing main arena clubbers an idea of what REAL "Hard Dance" is all about.

Things I liked:

Lineup - I dont know what it is about Freeformation lineups. They just seem "special" and make me want to attend. This was no exception.

Music - Yummy, yummy, yummy! I really liked this. Both the upfront and the freeform side of things were well represnted, both by the big names and not quite so big names. I also liked the frequent tangents into the Gabba to close the sets.

Sound - "Oof that kicks" was the first thing I said when I walked in. Once again, Funktion one were where they needed to be and had brought Mr. Resolution Four out to play. Once again the Hardcore arena was booming. These guys are the future of the Red arch at SEOne.

Carpet - The Hardcore arch has its own carpet now! Admitedly I wouldnt have chosen white, but at least it was there.

Things I liked less:

Arriving late and missing AMS and Gammer. Bollox.

No Vinney on the Nu Energy PA. Apparantly he was up at Air representing Nu Energy for the Hard Dance awards. Didnt stop him being missed though.

Performance of the Rave: Has to go to Odyssey and Whizzkid on this one. These guys worked really well when they went b2b for the closing sets, and the best of all me not getting in the least bit bored of either of them. Both of them complimented the music exceptionally well but the real respect has to go to Odyssey for Mcing for more or less 6 hours straight. Is he sponsored by Duracell or something?

Yeah, this was something special alright. Freeformation putting on a party is not an everyday occurance, thats why I make sure I'm there when the promoters decide to put on a rave. The combination of sublime lineup and even better music has yet to see me leave dissapointed. I am including this party in that statement.

It has to say something when I say that a rave put on at the SEOne (practically a second home for me these days) is special. The sheer amount of times I set foot in that place ensures that an exceptional night really has to be quite extraordinary to qualify above "Just another Hardcore rave in the Red Arch". However I know that if theres one organisation who can handle that its the Nu Energy Boys.

I raved and I raved hard to wicked music and top MCs whilst sruuounded by an intense and unsusal atmosphere. Yes, I had a blinding night. Nice one lads, whens the next one?
astraboy.
Shouts to: Kaylene (x!), Moron, Overlode, STS Dave (Thank you!), Mayhem, Skampy, Abeyance, Cheeky chick, Monkey boy, Stix, Sharkey, Kev Energy, K-Komplex, AMS, Marc Smith, Whizzkid, Ethos, Odyssey, Hixxy, Sy, Stormtrooper, Robbie Long, Brisk, Richard Raindance and anyone else I may have forgotten.