Old 16 February 2005, 02:27 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default falconry

yes i want to start

anyone one hunt with hawks or has a harris or goshawk etc

im gonna do a course next month God willing at jedburgh or maybe the one in carluke

and i need all the info i need pls

i heard u need a licence and when i wanna excercise the hawk can i take him to a public park like pollok park when theirs no one about.

and also how much can it cost to maintain it and also the massive cages in the garden, how expensive r they

plus how much for all the hoods and basically the kit to look after the hawk

cheers

ive been told to buy a young one and train it, i dont have time really, im working all the time

so i need a trained one

cheers
Old 16 February 2005, 02:50 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

I did a course at the Faconry Centre in Stratford on Avon last year, really interesting but i haven't got the money or time to do it properly at the moment. I can see me taking this up later in life though.

I've got a couple of really good books for sale if you're interested, £15 for both?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...888213-1314239

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...888213-1314239

I'd recommend doing a short course or two at a Falconry/Hawking centre near to where you live, to see what you think. You also need to get the right sort of bird for the terrain you'll be flying it over too, otherwise they just won't adapt or be able to hunt properly. Best reading up ( ) or speaking to an expert.

As far as i know, some people reckon it's ok to keep a Harris hawk in a 6ftx6ftx6ft enclosure. But others reckon that's too small and needs to be more like twice that size.
Old 16 February 2005, 02:51 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Oh, and i don't think you need a licence as such. But all birds of prey must be captive bred and need documents to prove it.
Old 16 February 2005, 03:29 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

thanks iwan mate

cheers a million, how much can a cage cost

and sure will take the books of u

pls pm me your address and also name payable too

cheers
Old 16 February 2005, 03:30 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't go investing a fortune, this government seem to have a thing about hunting and you may well find your hobby banned before you know it!!
Old 16 February 2005, 03:31 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

and also can i take it to a public park mate and would it see me if its dark

cheers , im a pak* scotsman a lil bronze anyway haha but in the dark i dont want it to miss me
Old 16 February 2005, 03:31 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

Originally Posted by OllyK
I wouldn't go investing a fortune, this government seem to have a thing about hunting and you may well find your hobby banned before you know it!!

mate i hunt to eat and not for fun haha not for cruelty
Old 16 February 2005, 03:39 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Moses,

Would you really have the time to look after the birds properly, even an adult bird? I've no idea what's involved, but if you say you are working loads will you have the time to exercise the birds properly, clean and feed them?

Best thing you can do is get on the course and have a chat with one of the instructors and see what is involved both monetary and time wise to see if it's to the benefit of yourself and the birds.

Could / would it be possible maybe to volunteer help at one of the bird places so that you get the time with the birds whilst helping out the bird place so you get a feel for time involved? Don't know if one is nearby that you could do this for.....

Not knocking the idea, I would love to do something similar, but you have to think of the birds first Just playing devils advocate
Old 16 February 2005, 03:44 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Hanslow
Moses,

Would you really have the time to look after the birds properly, even an adult bird? I've no idea what's involved, but if you say you are working loads will you have the time to exercise the birds properly, clean and feed them?

Best thing you can do is get on the course and have a chat with one of the instructors and see what is involved both monetary and time wise to see if it's to the benefit of yourself and the birds.

Could / would it be possible maybe to volunteer help at one of the bird places so that you get the time with the birds whilst helping out the bird place so you get a feel for time involved? Don't know if one is nearby that you could do this for.....

Not knocking the idea, I would love to do something similar, but you have to think of the birds first Just playing devils advocate

i 100% agree with u mate, thats what am gonna do, train first, pity all those places are an hr away from me mate

but i would train properly first before buying one mate, their not an average pet, they need to be excercised

cheers bud
Old 16 February 2005, 03:44 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Moses,

Precisely my thoughts.

(picking up on "ive been told to buy a young one and train it, i dont have time really, im working all the time so i need a trained one")
Old 16 February 2005, 03:49 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

You could probably build an enclosure yourself using fence panels/posts etc from B&Q if you were half handy with DIY.

The thing is though, it's a very big commitment keeping a bird of prey. They have very specific needs and can live for a long time (over 15 years?), so you'd need to think about it a lot before taking the plunge.

I'll PM you about those books mate, but if you're serious about doing it then i'd definately splash out on an 'experence day' or a basic hawk handling course. That way a lot of your questions will be answered, and you can ask an expert who knows what they're talking about. They may also be able to put you in touch with people who keep hawks in your area who you can talk to and learn from.

There's a lot to consider, imagine if you go on holiday for a week. It's not as simple as "give it a bowl of food in the morning, and walk it for 15 minutes", you'd need another falconer to look after it for you really.

I've seen people taking them to a local park, or even walking round town with one on their shoulder. But that's the exception rather than the rule. Ideally you'd need need somewhere nearby that's open without many people about to distract you or the hawk. Maybe a local farmer would let you use his land?

A friend of a friend (don't know him personally) takes his hawks to the Millenium stadium in Cardiff on a regular basis. The management let him fly his hawks inside the stadium as it scares the pigeons away.
Old 16 February 2005, 03:54 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Iwan
You could probably build an enclosure yourself using fence panels/posts etc from B&Q if you were half handy with DIY.

The thing is though, it's a very big commitment keeping a bird of prey. They have very specific needs and can live for a long time (over 15 years?), so you'd need to think about it a lot before taking the plunge.

I'll PM you about those books mate, but if you're serious about doing it then i'd definately splash out on an 'experence day' or a basic hawk handling course. That way a lot of your questions will be answered, and you can ask an expert who knows what they're talking about. They may also be able to put you in touch with people who keep hawks in your area who you can talk to and learn from.

There's a lot to consider, imagine if you go on holiday for a week. It's not as simple as "give it a bowl of food in the morning, and walk it for 15 minutes", you'd need another falconer to look after it for you really.

I've seen people taking them to a local park, or even walking round town with one on their shoulder. But that's the exception rather than the rule. Ideally you'd need need somewhere nearby that's open without many people about to distract you or the hawk. Maybe a local farmer would let you use his land?

A friend of a friend (don't know him personally) takes his hawks to the Millenium stadium in Cardiff on a regular basis. The management let him fly his hawks inside the stadium as it scares the pigeons away.

thanks alot iwan, i appreciate it bud and u are right about going on hols etc i aint been in 9 yrs but am planning this yr

but i understand fully, it is a big commitment nothing like a dog or cat thats why im going for a course hopefully soon

and sure pls pm me and will send u a cheque and thanks
Old 16 February 2005, 03:58 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw this as a display at Herstmonceux Castle. Bloody cool.
Old 16 February 2005, 04:09 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Don't forget to take some pictures and post them up here when you go. Fantastic birds

Steve (ex-twitcher )
Old 16 February 2005, 04:30 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Off home now, i have some pics on my Mac so i'll try and post them up later.
Old 16 February 2005, 04:33 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Airports are another popular venue. When I worked on an airfield we used to let falconers on periodically to try and see off as many pigeons as possible!
Old 16 February 2005, 04:36 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

brendan they are awesome, we have them in glasgow zoo, so many owls and hawks and eagles the lassie brings them out to display and fly etc
Old 16 February 2005, 04:38 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

by the way any asians remember one of the best films ever an indian film starring one of the best ever legends amitabh bachan

u mind brothers the film coolie u mind the hawk in it Allah rakha, awesome he was a hero, he used to save him since he was a kid till he grew up

i loved that movie i watched it hundreds of times

accident ho gaya rabba rabba permanent ho gaya rabba rabba i luv that song
Old 16 February 2005, 04:42 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

In Coolie he portrays a Muslim coolie who becomes a revolutionary. The old Mehboob syndrome of Muslim radicalism is reproduced in Coolie. Amitabh carries a hawk named Allah Rakha on his wrist. This is a direct reference to poet Iqbal’s hawk (Shaheen) - a central symbol in his poetry. Shaheen for Iqbal represented the aspiring, soaring spirit of man as in the line. Tu Shaheen hai parwaz hai kaam tera, (you are a hawk, your destiny is flight).
------------------

this movie came out when i was a wee lad maybe under 10

amitabh is our very own clint eastwood of bollywood the hero of hero's

old man now of course

u will see his waxwork in maddame tausssads he is very famous

check out the hawk in the pic, yeah it saves him since he was small and till he was older , it was his dads hawk
Old 16 February 2005, 04:47 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

here is the man with his waxwork

above was made before i was born, very good film, he plays a criminal who hijacks someones house and kid, but he is good, and at the end everything is cool

if u can guys get a hold of the english subtitled film called sholay

one of the best ever action movies, its cult, its so awesome

Last edited by moses; 16 February 2005 at 04:50 PM.
Old 16 February 2005, 04:56 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Nope. Never heard of him.

Old 16 February 2005, 04:58 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moses
, it is a big commitment nothing like a dog or cat thats why im going for a course hopefully soon

i cant see its a bigger deal than a dog?????

although you sound ready for neither.
Old 16 February 2005, 05:00 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by ajm
Nope. Never heard of him.

lol only if u understand our language and movies, do u have a asian video rental place near u, well ask for a film called kaante, remake of reservoir dogs, he is in it

old man can still kick ***

Old 16 February 2005, 05:01 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Tiggs

although you sound ready for neither.

well u are wrong, i had a rottweiller since i was 12 or 13 i had to my baby down coz of a tumor when she was 13 yrs old i have a tarantula, had plenty goldfish, a cat for over 18 yrs a good age i say a snake and hamster of course

but hawk is a different story, others are easy to look after
Old 16 February 2005, 05:05 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Completely off topic, but have you seen how many films that geezer has done

153 films in 35 years....that's some going
Old 16 February 2005, 05:07 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Completely off topic, but have you seen how many films that geezer has done

153 films in 35 years....that's some going

lol mate u asian i didnt know, welcome yes bros he has made alot of films in his time, guy will always be their along with raj kapoor, dilip kumar aka yusof khan, shami kapoor, dev anand, rajesh khanna and many more darmendra etc

the best ever they were our childhood hero's
Old 16 February 2005, 05:09 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Nope not asian, but not disrespectful either . Thought he looked familiar so looked him up on IMDB and was somewhat amazed by the number of films. Turns out I've not seen a film with him in either, so no idea who I'm thinking of
Old 16 February 2005, 05:10 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

Nope not asian, but not disrespectful either . Thought he looked familiar so looked him up on IMDB and was somewhat amazed by the number of films. Turns out I've not seen a film with him in either, so no idea who I'm thinking of

u confused me u seen him or not
Old 16 February 2005, 05:36 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
Well just an example, to do with flying weights.

When you're flying hawks you need to monitor their weight on a daily basis. They never become 'tame' so the idea is you keep them just slightly underweight so they're hungry and will always come back to their handler (who they associate with food) after flying/hunting. Not starving, just peckish (no pun intended).

There are other aspects too, it's a complicated subject.
Old 16 February 2005, 05:39 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moses
u confused me u seen him or not
Nope Thought I had, but was wrong. Needed to clarify via IMDB though which took me longer than I thought due to the number of films he's been in

Hometime now, have a good evening moses and good luck with the falconry

Quick Reply: falconry