Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Small busniess startup???

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2005, 04:03 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Small busniess startup???

thinking of setting up a small business with a friend of mine...
We've no idea how to start as was looking for a few pointers... i've read the businness links website so now understand a bit more but was after some real world advice as to how to simply create a name, register as self employed and how to get going...
aslo what software to use to keep tracks of what we do sales and so on... it seems like there just so much to go through but surly it can't be so complicated... after all plumbers can do it... ;-)

Any help would be welcome

BTW
the business will be focused around communications. i.e. phone systems and all associated stuff, data cableing (done properly... not like sparkies do it! ), Fibre optic installs, voice over ip, network testing\analisys, and voice over ip consultancy... my subject, and a complete no bull**** approach from two very well trained and experienced engineers

Aslo any work will be much appreciated...
Old 11 February 2005, 04:06 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

get an accounatnt...they will take you through everything. if you cant afford one then give up now! if you have faith you can make money then pay for good advice.
Old 11 February 2005, 04:11 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

If you want to involve a bank (beyond using them to keep your money at...) you will need a business plan; everything will hinge on this and youll need to be able to support the figures that you use.

Simon
Old 11 February 2005, 04:26 PM
Coopz
Scooby Regular

Contact your local Business Link - they should have a start up adviser and he / she can give you free and impartial advice on how to set up and run your business. You may find that to begin with you might not need to have the expense of an accountant, although it does depend on how you set up and the size you intend to start at. If you are local to the Midlands there is a New Business New Life show on at Donnington Park 26 / 27th Feb which is also quite good.

www.businesslink.org

I know you've said you've looked on the website but if you contact them they should offer you an appointment with an adviser. Put in your postcode and it will tell you the local number.

Last edited by Coopz; 11 February 2005 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Spelling.
Old 11 February 2005, 05:58 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Cheers so far...
Old 11 February 2005, 06:00 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Dazza - ring me on 07971 167 983.....
Old 11 February 2005, 06:08 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

AFAIK you just need to tell your tax office that you are going self-employed and then you can just get on with it. Do use all free help you can get as suggested above.

Keep all records from the most minor thing going as you will need these for tax returns. Best open a separate business account. You can be thinking about VAT registration, etc as you proceed and depending on advice you receive. Always very useful to talk to someone in similar business if you can. Federation of Small Businesses worth joining. Bon chance. DL

PS. You may need to investigate insurance/liability cover sooner rather than later. Again Business Link will advise.
Old 11 February 2005, 07:27 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
If you want to involve a bank (beyond using them to keep your money at...) you will need a business plan; everything will hinge on this and youll need to be able to support the figures that you use.

Simon
what i did, was to get a loan for a car for my GF for christmas
which gave me 6k to get into a franchise

this franchise will in a few years time pay for My OWN site sumwhere else where i can cream all the profits
i figured its a better way to get into the whole thing, i have people helping me left right and centre and the moment, where if i had of just dived right in at the deepend i would have fell flat on my face

worth thinking about