Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Safesyle Windows

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2005, 08:28 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safesyle Windows

Does anyone had any dealings with Safestyle UK?

We had a sales guy cold call about a week ago and agreed to a visit last night for a sales guy to visit. Big mistake

After sitting down after measuring up, the list price was £12,000-ish (Patio doors, new front door and panel, 3 large windows with 2 opening vents, 3 smaller single vents windows).

I did make it clear that this was a quote only and that we would not be buying immediately. After about 1 hours, the price had dropped to 6k which I was happy with, but then the sales pitch really started and they agreed to do them for just short of £3000, and they were going to pay of my car loan!!!!

The ****** would not leave, numerous calls to head office (probably his mate at home watching TV) confirmed that they could not go any lowere, but could offer intrest free credit, cash back etc. etc. After I said NO again the guy on the phone said the sales man had been led on by me!! Apparently it’s a shame when you get customers like this (the guy on the phone was saying to this sales rep).

5 minutes after that call and he was gone, but I still can’t see me getting the quote that I wanted for the windows for 6k even though this price stands for 12 months.

I had a look on Google this morning and looks like I have been saved, numerous complaints about windows, style differences, windows costing more than quoted, requesting scaffolding for roof windows which is apparently not needed?

If you were thinking of calling them DON’T

Can anyone recommend a good glazing company in West Sussex?

Darren

Last edited by darlodge; 08 February 2005 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08 February 2005, 08:53 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I had safestyle in the other week. Quoted a good price, no hassle what so ever. Surveyor in within a couple of days, happy to change a couple of things that having slept on I wasn't so sure about. Was given a fitting date of the 28th Feb. Had a call last night to ask if they could install early (15th Feb). They can't as I have scaffolding up which is blocking the windows. They have said fine and they will return to the original date. They also confirmed that the balance is exactly as the original quote even with the variations. Cheque to be handed over upon completion if and only if I am happy with what has been installed.

As I say, so far I can't fault them - we'll see how things are on the 28th Feb / 1 Mar!
Old 08 February 2005, 08:55 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Slightly off topic but haven't regulations on window openings changed now? Apparently you can't have handles with key locks.
Old 08 February 2005, 08:59 AM
SupaMiniCupa
Scooby Regular

Also, if you're going to seek out local feedback, try and get some from people who've had the windows a couple of years... i.e. out of any gaurantee period etc.

We have two local window firms in our village, have used both on my parents house, one is great for aftersales, the other is pants!!

We know which one we'd recommend, and which one to steer well clear of!

Old 08 February 2005, 09:04 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andrewdelvard
Slightly off topic but haven't regulations on window openings changed now? Apparently you can't have handles with key locks.
All mine are coming with them (standard) and SS seemed pretty hot on the regs!
Old 08 February 2005, 09:05 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Look up FENSA on Google for window regs

Trending Topics

Old 08 February 2005, 09:15 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

My personal feeling on cold calling is this. If you want something, don't decide on it when someone comes to your doorstep unannounced or phones your house on the off chance?

Would you purchase a car from someone that just happened to be passing and knocked on your door on the off chance, or phoned you up and said "I've got a Impreza for sale - do you want it?"

Not a criticism at all, as you have realised your mistake, but I always think the best way to handle such purchases (and we're talking substantial amounts of money - £12k!) is to do the legwork yourself and YOU contact companies for quotes.

I never fail to be amazed how many people will use the first company who knocks on their door for double glazing/driveways/conservatories etc. These are SUBSTANTIAL sums of money to be throwing at a company you've not investigated first.

Just my 2p
Old 08 February 2005, 09:17 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

PS The old trick about quoting a high price inititially and then bringing it down HUGELY by calling head office is one of the scams to be aware of. Been featured on Watchdog etc many a time
Old 08 February 2005, 09:24 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andrewdelvard
Only on upstairs windows Andrew.

Locks on ground floor windows are still allowable.
Old 08 February 2005, 09:29 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine fits windows\doors and conservatories. Make sure you compare window specs, K glass should be standard, 28mm glass is best and shouldn't be much more than 24.
Old 08 February 2005, 10:29 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diablo
Only on upstairs windows Andrew.

Locks on ground floor windows are still allowable.
Ahh! Don't think the Mother-in-Law is going to be pleased Thanks for that
Old 08 February 2005, 10:40 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input guys.

I do know of a local guy that my girlfriends family have used and the quality is good and the price was good, at the time. All I really wanted from Safestyle was quote just to compare the nationwide company with the local guy.

I was expecting a sales pitch but when I overheard the guy on the phone said that I was leading him (the sales man) on I decided I wanted nothing to do with them.

Darren, never goign to be taken up on a cold call again
Old 08 February 2005, 10:56 AM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

I'd avoid Safestyle like the plague. They are the classic DG scam outfit.

All will be fitting K glass now but another regulation is that toughened glass must be fitted if the distance between the sill and internal floor is less than 800mm.

This is a good site to get info from: www.thewindowman.co.uk

Also check their forum.
Old 08 February 2005, 11:19 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gsm1

--snip--
another regulation is that toughened glass must be fitted if the distance between the sill and internal floor is less than 800mm.
--snip--
Tell me about it - that covers almost all my windows!
Old 08 February 2005, 11:52 AM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Tell me about it - that covers almost all my windows!
The cost of toughened glass is not much more but dodgy DG outfits will use it as an excuse to hyper-inflate the quote. Check what they're charging you.
Old 08 February 2005, 11:57 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gsm1
The cost of toughened glass is not much more but dodgy DG outfits will use it as an excuse to hyper-inflate the quote. Check what they're charging you.
About the same as a local independant.
Old 08 February 2005, 12:30 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

When you get quotes, make sure that all firms involved are quoting like-for-like specifications. Also, if you want to scare the salesman into thinking you know exactly what you're talking about, ask him if the glass conforms to the revised Document L of the building regulations - this stipulates that a glazing system should have an overall U-value of 2.0 W/m²/ K (basically less heat loss through your glazing). Ask him for independent test certificates to confirm this 28mm glazed units with a 16mm air gap (eg. Pilkingtons K-glass) should conform to this.
Old 08 February 2005, 12:31 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

When you look at the big boys, think advertising! Then ask who's paying for it? You are

I'd either ask around the area for recommendations, or hit YP and call about 10 out to do estimates.

Hint: the local ones will almost certainly have their windows made relatively locally too, probably all in the same factory

Alcazar
Old 08 February 2005, 02:59 PM
EvoBarry
Scooby Regular

I had SafeStyle in, they quoted I said I'd get back to them, a few pestering calls later I told em to shove it. A week later the "local area manager" calls me, all very polite, "what price would it take for me to sign" so I took the ****, he upped it a couple hundred saying that was the lowest possible price they could do it at.
I signed. They came, knocked the **** out of my house and were gone by 4pm. The windows are clearly cheap, but they work, its cheap and you get what you pay for at the end of the day.

For instance, St Helens Glass quoted me twice SafeStyles original quote. I then knocked a third of teh Safestyle price, fitted.

For a bargain place it does what it says on the tin. Just don't expect customer service or a crack team of fitters, my lot were a bunch of pikeys that couldn't wait to get the job done and get down the pub.