Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

A Quick Question About Tom Tom Go...

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2005, 07:29 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A Quick Question About Tom Tom Go...

I've only had Tom Tom Go a week or so but have a hypothetical question and hope someone can help :

I am in Manchester, for example, and want to go to Leeds, so i type in "Leeds", but then it says I have to enter a street in Leeds...what if i don't know any street names

What about if I was only off to a small village, and the village had very few streets in it

Another situation - I have a street name and know it is in West Yorkshire, but not 100% sure whereabouts in West Yorkshire - what would I do then

Hope my questions make sense

Thanks for any help
Old 04 February 2005, 07:38 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Just type in Leeds again. Thats it.
Old 04 February 2005, 07:56 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

You cannot put a post code directly into a TomTom as well, my mate has got one and (in my opinion) its not that good, some of the other GPS system you CAN put just the post code in and your there. He has downloaded the speed camera data, it's OK but it don't warn you, via audio, of an approching camera!!!!

9 times out of 10 you do have an address or street name,town ETC so it will get you there.

Also there seems to be loads of 'dead spots' on the satallites, and the maps for Europe cost an extra £120.
Old 04 February 2005, 08:03 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

You can get the complete detailled maps of Europe for £80 now. The 'major roads of Europe' map that comes with Tom Tom is more the sufficient for most needs (it got us around Germany for the rally with no problems).

As with any trip - a bit of preparation doesn't hurt and I always carry a map as a back up if for some reason my sat nav fails.

You can put the first 5 letters of the postcode into Tom Tom. For the PDA versions you can get a free program that lets you put in the whole post code.

The speed camera database is a freebie add on - nothing to do with Tom Tom and not the real reason for buying the unit - better than nothing though.
Old 04 February 2005, 09:04 PM
Newbie123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BigRed
He has downloaded the speed camera data, it's OK but it don't warn you, via audio, of an approching camera!!!!
He just needs to choose which sound he wants to use to warn him of speed camera waypoints (he can have a cow mooing if so inclined). Then he just needs to set the unit to always warn him, otherwise it only works when he is navigating to a destination.
Old 04 February 2005, 09:08 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

He has downloaded the speed camera data, it's OK but it don't warn you, via audio, of an approching camera!!!!
He needs to set the sounds up. In the 'Maintain POI' menu you choose a sound for each type of POI, so for cameras you simply try a few to see what they sound like, then save that setting. The default distance for the audible warning for cameras is about 250 metres, so that can be changed as well.

Driving near Cardiff the other day reminded me of an old Cold War movie where they are trying to fly a B-52 into Russia, some junctions had multiple traffic light cameras, speed cameras, dog poo cameras, ground-to-air missile locks, alerts going off all over the place and icons flashing on the display like I was about to be shot down...
Old 04 February 2005, 10:43 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

As with any trip - a bit of preparation doesn't hurt and I always carry a map as a back up if for some reason my sat nav fails.
Alternatively, if your TTG mysteriously wipes itself rendering it completely useless, just follow someone else with a TTG, eh Chris
Old 04 February 2005, 10:51 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yes thanks for reminding me Bob - my Dell PDA does have a lovely habit of wiping itself when left powered down for a couple of days - something I discovered just before setting off for Wales That's the only thing I've really got against it. I had to reload Tom Tom last week again - I've lost track of the times I've had to do it!

Last edited by Chris L; 04 February 2005 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05 February 2005, 09:57 AM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Question

For the PDA versions you can get a free program that lets you put in the whole post code.
Do you know where from, Chris?

Cheers
Kav
Old 05 February 2005, 11:40 AM
Distinguished Gentleman
Scooby Regular

Nice one andrewdelvard. I've been using TTG for about 6 months and I didn't know that handy tip to retype name of town. In the past I've struggled on occassions when trying to pre plan a route.

DG
Old 05 February 2005, 11:42 AM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Distinguished Gentleman
Nice one andrewdelvard. I've been using TTG for about 6 months and I didn't know that handy tip to retype name of town. In the past I've struggled on occassions when trying to pre plan a route.

DG
Ditto - thanks for the advice
Old 05 February 2005, 11:58 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

You're both welcome. Glad I could help.
Old 05 February 2005, 01:19 PM
mattsan
Scooby Regular

You cannot put a post code directly into a TomTom as well, my mate has got one and (in my opinion) its not that good, some of the other GPS system you CAN put just the post code in and your there. He has downloaded the speed camera data, it's OK but it don't warn you, via audio, of an approching camera!!!!

9 times out of 10 you do have an address or street name,town ETC so it will get you there.

Also there seems to be loads of 'dead spots' on the satallites, and the maps for Europe cost an extra £120.
You CAN just put the post code in.On the 1st screen which it asks what city dont put the city in just put the post code in and it will give you the option of a few addresses,you just pick which one you want and thats it.
Old 05 February 2005, 01:29 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

But the postcode lookup is restricted to 5 digits. So mine would be CM23 4 which covers an awfully large area. There is a separate postcode lookup program at www.digitools.co.uk but it's only for the PDA version of Tomtom.
Old 05 February 2005, 01:51 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L
Yes thanks for reminding me Bob - my Dell PDA does have a lovely habit of wiping itself when left powered down for a couple of days - something I discovered just before setting off for Wales That's the only thing I've really got against it. I had to reload Tom Tom last week again - I've lost track of the times I've had to do it!
Bugger you just reminded me to check the power on mine. Yep its flat... Bye bye everything!