Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Running

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2005, 10:34 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Running

I have stupidly signed up for the Manchester 10k run, therefore I need to get fit, currently carrying excess baggage of about 2 stone but otherwise quite fit, I am more suited to to being a water bound mammal, i.e. swimming but I have now started running, apart from the usual aches and pains I am getting pain at the base of my spine after about a mile (on road), not a boney pain, more a muscular kind of pain and it makes life quite hard, I do a bit of stretching but is there anything I can do to alleviate it and what causes it ?

After the run which I intend to finish, if not actually win, well at least beat the bloke in the diving suits and the pantomine horses I intend to avoid running at all costs !
Old 01 February 2005, 10:53 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When's the run?
Old 01 February 2005, 11:08 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

If you're new to running, make sure you've got a decent set of trainers and get off the road.

Where exactly is the pain? You spins ends right in your @rse crack, so is it that low down or more in your lower back? Is it right in the middle or is the pain on one side of your back?

Stefan
Old 01 February 2005, 11:19 PM
bloke
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar problem. It's been helped by having the right shoes to some extent (terms I can't remember exactly like pronation (sp?)).

I still get it occasionally, which is usually down to over enthusiasm in my case, working my poor old (literally for me ) body too hard, as soon as I ease back it's ok, and in general I don't suffer from back pain. I'm carrying a few extra pounds too, and I'm hoping as the excess baggage disappears the pace can go up without the pain.

Still I never dreamt I would enjoy running which I now do

Good luck and enjoy the race
Old 02 February 2005, 12:04 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Back pain during running is generally caused by tight muscles (especially hamstrings), poor running style, incorrect footwear or a biomechanical problem.

This will explain what's meant by pronation - http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/articles/scni18a5.htm

If you go to a running shop, they should check to see if you overpronate, have a neutral gait or are a supinator.

I had major problems with my lower legs for years until I found out I was a severe overpronator and required some custom insoles to correct my running gait. Banished forever was my lower back ache, shin splints and knee pain.

The correct support and cushioning from a proper running shoe should sort out these problems for the majority of people, but sometimes it just isn't enough and a visit to a podiatrist may be required. Yes it cost me £30 for an appointment and £120 for insoles, but it saved me loads on running shoes and visits to a physio.

Most people that are plagued with injuries either train too hard and too often (not enough rest) OR don't warm-up, stretch or cool-down OR where cr@p shoes OR run on hard surfaces too often OR have some sort of biomechanical problem.

I run 5 days a week for at least 60 mins per day and haven't see a physio for 2 years or had an injury that wasn't caused by anything other than being too enthusiastic or not bothering my @rse to do some stretches on a cold winters morning

It really doesn't have to be the injury-prone sport that everyone says it is.

Stefan

Last edited by ozzy; 02 February 2005 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02 February 2005, 11:08 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

I have a warm-up & cool-down routine that I was given a few years ago.

You can download a copy (Word) from here - http://www.stefanostadal.homedns.org...wn_routine.doc

Stefan
Old 02 February 2005, 12:34 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Good on you m8 - only time I run is when the dog is trying to rip the ar$e out my jeans cos I've been annoying him.
You can hire him if you like as a motovational aid
Alas
Old 02 February 2005, 12:42 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Good Luck J4cko

Best plan is to build yourself up over the time period so that you can actually do 12KM faster than you would normally do. Then the actual run is easy as pie.

I'm doing the Great North Run later this year - 13 Miles (I was lucky and got through with The Times ballot ) I've worked up to 6 Miles in 54 minutes (thats just under 10KM) Did that last Sunday and I'll probably do that again tonight so if I can do it, you definately can!

As Stefan said, shoes are by far the most important thing. I bought mine from a running shop, at £65 they were cheaper than many makes, extremely comfortable and the assistants had me running up and down in front of the shop to find shoes that would suit my running style - I run with a slight instep.

Stefan - I've nearly passed the £250 mark for my parachute jump!!
Old 15 March 2005, 04:27 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

bump.

so how is the training going? did a 10k on Sunday afternoon myself with a few friends from work.

Stefan
Old 15 March 2005, 05:13 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

[Thread hijack/]I don't do a huge amount of running myself but I do go circuit training twice a week to keep the beer gut at bay Circuits is in a large sports centre hall so enough room to run round the outside as well as the usual circuit training things (sit-ups, press-ups, etc.). The usual form is something like 30 secs on the excercise, run round the hall, another 30 secs on the exercise, move to the next one. And many variations on that theme.

Anyway just lately my achilles is quite painful the next day sometimes making it difficult to walk. Looking it up on the 'net would suggest I have achilles tendonitus which is apparently a common running injury. I decided to lay off it for a while in the hope it will get better. My trainers aren't that old, should I be looking for a better pair? Anything else to look out for, good stretches to do, etc. Where would I find a proper running shoe shop? I assume the JJB Sports type shops aren't much cop in this respect.

Cheers,

Graz

[Thread hi-jack]