Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

is 2 1/2 grand all that has been raised...?

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2005, 07:46 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation is 2 1/2 grand all that has been raised...?

....thats snot much is it

i pledged some cash in the week after the disaster,and considering the amount of money that has been raised in total i think we should be ashamed of ourselves

or am i being too sensitive...?
DISCUSS................
Old 01 February 2005, 08:23 PM
King RA
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll probably find most people on this board have given money already, be it at work, on the phone, in the street e.t.c. There's only so much you can give.
Old 01 February 2005, 08:31 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

still seems a bit limp considering the amount thats been raised. prolly spent it at the over inflated scoobynet shop2:
Old 01 February 2005, 08:39 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

why should we be judged by this criterion? if you want to give, go ahead. if you don't, then don't. i didn't.
Old 01 February 2005, 08:41 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Time to give again soon anyway people. Red nose day is March 11th.....
Old 01 February 2005, 08:51 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

**** being an idiot for the day.........i'd rather be a muppet

PC no one is judging peoples sensitivity on this, i am just rerring to the stastics

no one saying you are a better person for giving, i'm just supprised that the appeal didnt raise more money on here than it did.
i have a very close friend that lost both parents and two other friends that lost a part of a family.............just supprised thats all
Old 01 February 2005, 09:02 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
i have a very close friend that lost both parents and two other friends that lost a part of a family.............just supprised thats all
sorry to hear that.

sometimes i get a bit sceptical about all the hype that goes with certain fund raising initiatives, that's all.
Old 01 February 2005, 09:11 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Red face

So if someone gave a a couple of hundred quid by some other means and then didn't contribute on here then they're insensitive?
Old 01 February 2005, 09:15 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

i am the most cynical person i know. i hate all the fundraising on tv, but this was different. it unfolded in front of our eyes and we were unable to do anything about it.
we can all associate with it. i was looking to book a holiday for my special birthday in July in the maldives.
........but i must admit, when i look at news reports on tv, i cant help thinking the aid is going a long way to assist the many paedophiles not the children on the island....yes i am cynical........but i have a heart

i have now booked the Dominican Republic
Old 01 February 2005, 09:16 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

sara. it's all a bonus and people are giving very generously considering the time of year and the fact most will have given before.

An example, one of the DVD's we gave to the auction currently has a bid that is 7.5 times its value! Money is tight right now so the higher value items will get less interest and have less potential for overpayment of item value.

Dont know why you think scoobyshop is overinflated, the prices in there have to be a max of rrp for that vendors normal prices and we have to give discount to plus members or we lose our vendor account, so if anything its going to be cheaper for scoobynet users who buy via the shop, which incidently is just a shopfront advert, as to buy you have to contact the vendor directly.
Old 01 February 2005, 09:16 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Hanslow]So if someone gave a a couple of hundred quid by some other means and then didn't contribute on here then they're insensitive? [/QUOTE

not at all.....i am refering to the law of averages, thats all
Old 01 February 2005, 10:02 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I've not donated on here, and the only donation I've made was a few quid into a collection thing at Heathrow when I flew back to Canada at the start of January.

If you want to call me heartless and a miser, go ahead. Yes, a tragic loss of life, but I've done my bit, small as it may be, and that's enough. To be frank, I'm getting somewhat numbed to the whole thing, especially with nigh on every site I visit having a little "donate now" link.
Old 01 February 2005, 11:15 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Not bidding on the sn auction because I have already donated to the Tsunami appeal. Any extra money I decide to donate, I'd rather send to Africa. Much bigger disaster than the Tsunami, and has been going (and is still going) for much longer...
Old 01 February 2005, 11:24 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i didnt donate

blow me
Old 01 February 2005, 11:32 PM
blueone
Scooby Regular

I wanted to donate but it took so long to take place that I donated elsewhere as I felt that the aid was needed asap...

I did offer my copy of the Scoobynews DVD for the auction, but surprisingly I'm yet to hear back about that one for some reason...
Old 02 February 2005, 02:01 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

....thats snot much is it

i pledged some cash in the week after the disaster,and considering the amount of money that has been raised in total i think we should be ashamed of ourselves

or am i being too sensitive...?
DISCUSS................
250 million pounds has been raised by the British public for the tsumani appeal, the most for any appeal ever. There are lots of ways people have contributed, the fact that many haven't chosen to do so via Scoobynet is not so important, we contribute in our own way.
Old 02 February 2005, 08:12 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

I think we need to put this in perspective.

More poeple die in Africa every month (apparently) due to famine and disease than have died so far due to the tsunami in total.

The 250m raised by the UK so far is fantastic, and the highest yet for a single appeal as stated above.

At least one of the aid organisations is asking people if they want their money back (because the have too much!)

Personally, I've not donated to this one, because of all of the above. I regularly donate to charities which, to my mind, are working for long term solutions.

D
Old 02 February 2005, 08:16 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

People are dying all the time all over the place. In places the deaths are greater (africa), in other places the deaths are worse.

People are free to give to what they want when they want........to come on a public site and say you are ashamed of the collection is a bit rich. My choice of charity is cancer research...have you given to that this month? If not should i be ashamed of you?????
Old 02 February 2005, 08:23 AM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Diablo
More poeple die in Africa every month (apparently) due to famine and disease than have died so far due to the tsunami in total.
I am sure that's true, but for me the African nations affected seem to do nothing to help themselves. The number of people in need of aid has doubled in the last 20 years and will no doubt double again in the next 20.

FFS Stop Having So Many Kids That You Can't Feed & Protect. Compared to the Tsunami (or any other large natural disaster) the African situation has been fuelled by (not caused by) ignorance and selfishness.

TONY
Old 02 February 2005, 09:26 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

I thought the total was quite impressive personally.
Old 02 February 2005, 10:36 AM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

Mr. B Liar already pledged my share to the fund appeal
Old 02 February 2005, 12:00 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tonybooth
I am sure that's true, but for me the African nations affected seem to do nothing to help themselves. The number of people in need of aid has doubled in the last 20 years and will no doubt double again in the next 20.

FFS Stop Having So Many Kids That You Can't Feed & Protect. Compared to the Tsunami (or any other large natural disaster) the African situation has been fuelled by (not caused by) ignorance and selfishness.

TONY
Agreed Tony (not that its quite that simple)

My example was for perspective.
Old 02 February 2005, 12:25 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

i am the most cynical person i know. i hate all the fundraising on tv, but this was different. it unfolded in front of our eyes and we were unable to do anything about it.
we can all associate with it. i was looking to book a holiday for my special birthday in July in the maldives.
........but i must admit, when i look at news reports on tv, i cant help thinking the aid is going a long way to assist the many paedophiles not the children on the island....yes i am cynical........but i have a heart

Right. So after feeling really guilty, and berating us that we should help all these poor people who've suddenly had their lives turned upside down, you take your desperately-needed tourism money to the Carribean instead.

I think that's about the nastiest thing you could do to them.
Old 02 February 2005, 12:31 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Right. So after feeling really guilty, and berating us that we should help all these poor people who've suddenly had their lives turned upside down, you take your desperately-needed tourism money to the Carribean instead.

Ouch!!
Alas
Old 02 February 2005, 12:45 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

is this a wind up????

it unfolded in front of our eyes???? so what? should we base our donations on who gets Sky TV most excited?
Old 02 February 2005, 12:52 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Diablo
D,

I don't disagree with what you have put but The major difference in my view is that the tsunami destroyed large chunks or the countries infrastructures.

To be fair - they are all worthy causes when they are not lining corrupt politicians pockets.
Old 02 February 2005, 04:17 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Went to grab a coffee in the mall last night, lo and behold, a big sign going on about dontations for the Tsunami. Was asked when purchasing coffee if I wished to dontate. Got this stinking look when I said I did not and that I was fed up of the whole thing and there were actually more demanding charities I'd rather dontate to.
Old 02 February 2005, 05:30 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes

i have donated as i mentioned in my first post
and i would rather lay on a carribean beach knowing that a dead body hasnt been where i am sunbathing..........wouldnt you?
Old 02 February 2005, 05:37 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tonybooth

TONY
Tony,

Remember as well that the Tsunami affected countries have argued for many years over financing an early warning system for an occurence such as this. They did nothing as they couldnt agree and then this happens. So the same could be said about them not helping themselves as the Africans.

Saddest part is that its always the idiot politicians that make these decisions and the normal everyday folk that bear the brunt of any disaster.

Chip
Old 02 February 2005, 06:06 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I dontated £1 at work on a 'dress down day' - Pay £1 to come in to work wearing your normal clothes for the day or look like 'rentageek' in front of all your colleagues...
But for that no more than my taxes that line the international aid fund at Westminster would have gone to said appeal...
Thays the way the cookie crumbles....

Quick Reply: is 2 1/2 grand all that has been raised...?