Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Stupid roadworks

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2005, 08:55 AM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Stupid roadworks

Damn and blast! I've just spent 1 hr 45 mins driving 22 miles which normally takes me 40-45 mins. Since yesterday morning some bright spark has decided that a bridge just off the M3 J4a/Farnborough needs some attention... probably to get some chewing gum off the pavement I expect.

But of course, let's not be sensible about it... let's blank off one lane with traffic lights, cause absolute chaos during rush hour, leave them there 24x7, and the absolute classic... probably not start work until 9:30-10am!!

FFS! Grrr...!!

Saw some Scoobs mind.

Jonts
MY00 DGM.
Old 26 January 2005, 10:16 AM
Johnhowell
Scooby Regular

Jonty,

Just consider the alternative - the bridge fails completely and the road is closed for good because the local authority can not afford a complete rebuild. This bridge has probably been on the books for strenghtening, due to the increase in HGV tonnage, for years and the money has only just come available. Maybe this bridge has been reduced in the number of lanes similar to the North Circular flyovers near the M11 to satisfy the new loadings.

I assume you saw the advanced works signs but did not read them. You also probably did not notice anybody working because they worked through the night because the road was completely closed because of Health and Safety rules. The lane closure is there to protect life from stupid drivers. I have personally seen lorry drivers deliberately hit the cones flying into the workers! Not nice.

If you do not like these events get off your **** and become a councillor and join the Highways Sub-committee and change the world. Because you know best and can do better!

John
Old 26 January 2005, 10:56 AM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

I worked on the highways many years ago.

One of the most hazardous parts is setting up the cones and traffic flow system. When you're in the middle of it many people get confused and drive all over the show. It's pretty un-nerving. They are left there to prevent this daily confusion and putting the workers at risk.

If it takes an hour to setup or remove the traffic control system, it's another hour a day they can't do any work at the site as you are not allowed to work unless the control system is fully setup.

Working the highways isn't an easy job, especially in the winter. It's not like sitting at a computer screen all day. I've been there and done it.
Old 26 January 2005, 11:01 AM
barrybudden
Scooby Regular

Its also a bit un-nerving when cars fly past you a few feet away not obeying the speed limit.
Old 26 January 2005, 11:24 AM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Smile

Don't get me wrong guys, I'm not a motorist who's anti-cone... but this morning's little example I simply chose to disagree with.

We're not talking motorway bridge here with 4 lanes... it's a 'back of the woods' jobbie but also an artery when you want to navigate your way towards Farnborough. In answer to your question John, there wasn't any advance warning. Given the chaos, perhaps there should have been.

I have nothing personally against highways agenices, councils, road maintenance companies and their staff... but it has to be said that there are pockets of silliness from time to time. Granted I'm not qualified, but there is/was no road surface damage so a) don't know why the work's being done, and b) why the road couldn't have been open properly for the AM rush-hour. Maybe it's structural... and maybe it's already been packed up and now not there any more.

Hmmm... and I thought 'I' was the stressed one this morning when I walked into the office.

Jonts.
MY00 DGM.
Old 26 January 2005, 11:31 AM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Yep, it screwed everything this morning - all 3 lanes 1/2 mile or so before fleet services. Didn't see a DGM classic but there was a silver WRX Blob somewhere in front of me.
Old 26 January 2005, 12:16 PM
Horris
Scooby Newbie

Does anyone know how long the roadworks will be there, i have not seen any signs. With that and the M25 roadworks my journey home is taking 3 times as long.

Trending Topics

Old 26 January 2005, 12:26 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Horris
Does anyone know how long the roadworks will be there, i have not seen any signs. With that and the M25 roadworks my journey home is taking 3 times as long.
Hi Horris.

This wasn't actually on the M3 itself, just on one of the busy backroads near/around J4a of the M3. As far as I'm aware, it shouldn't affect the M3 itself... all the traffic was bunged up going the other way.

Jonts.
MY00 DGM.
Old 26 January 2005, 12:34 PM
Horris
Scooby Newbie

Hi Jonty,

I live in Church Crookham and go over the bridge by the Nokia building on the way home. Last night it took 30 minutes to get to Junction 13 on the M25 from Heathrow, then once i got off the M3 it took the best part of 40 minutes to get home. I will try another route tonight but i am sure everyone else will to.

Horris
Old 26 January 2005, 02:12 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Horris
I live in Church Crookham and go over the bridge by the Nokia building on the way home. Last night it took 30 minutes to get to Junction 13 on the M25 from Heathrow, then once i got off the M3 it took the best part of 40 minutes to get home. I will try another route tonight but i am sure everyone else will to.
Oh crumbs.

This will help then -- I've just had a dig around the Hampshire highway pages. "Bridge repairs, single lane controlled by traffic signals, starts 25th Jan, planned completion 31st Jan."

Jonts
MY00 DGM.
Old 26 January 2005, 02:38 PM
Horris
Scooby Newbie

Cheers Jonty,

Only a few day to go if completed on time, so not the end of the world, although i may think different at 6.30pm this evening.

Horris.