Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Wetherspoons Ban Smoking in their Pubs!

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2005, 01:16 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Wetherspoons Ban Smoking in their Pubs!

Excellent business move!!

A forward thinking company obviously - others will follow if it proves successful .................

Would a non-smoking pub attract you into it?

Personally, I hate smelling like the bottom of an ashtray if I've been in a smoky pub (but, I was a smoker ..... so, can't say too much!)

Pete
Old 24 January 2005, 01:19 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good i hate the smell too but don't want to not go into a pub just because smokers make it that way.

It just makes me wonder what smokers are going to do now are they all going to be standing outside having cigarette breaks? Will they go elsewhere leaving wetherspoon pubs empty?
Old 24 January 2005, 01:20 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Totally agree with you here Pete. I hate smoking and I cant stand going out for the evening and coming home and all your clothes stink. The smoke affects my eyes and throat pretty bad when i go out and it seems to block my nose too. Ban Smoking NOW!!!
Old 24 January 2005, 01:20 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis

A forward thinking company obviously - others will follow if it proves successful .................

Would a non-smoking pub attract you into it?

Personally, I hate smelling like the bottom of an ashtray if I've been in a smoky pub (but, I was a smoker ..... so, can't say too much!)

Pete
Never stopped you before re smoking or speeding. None so pure as them purified

Seriously though, good for them. Wetherspoons have always been pretty forward thinking about things. No music, cheap 'reliable' food, etc. Not really a big drinkers pub anyway so it makes sense they should try this out. I shan't be going to my local Wetherspoons any more though
Old 24 January 2005, 01:23 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

If smoke bothers you, don't go to the pub. It's a bit like going to a Grand Prix and complaining about the noise.
Old 24 January 2005, 01:25 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

I'd defo go to a pub thats completely non smoking - be nice to get home of an evening and not smell like a 3 week old ashtray
Old 24 January 2005, 01:25 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

awesome... so now you can destroy your liver and kidneys without having to worry about your lungs getting ruined too
Old 24 January 2005, 01:30 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
If smoke bothers you, don't go to the pub. It's a bit like going to a Grand Prix and complaining about the noise.
No its nothing like that ..............

Its like going to the Grand Prix, getting strapped to the front of a F1 car and raced around the track with your life slowly ebbing away!!

Secondhand smoke KILLS - engine noise doesn't (does it?)

Pete
Old 24 January 2005, 01:35 PM
sleeka
Scooby Regular

Think its a great move!

Went over to dublin in oct, and the fact that its banned everywhere made a big difference when we went out, no nasty smells on clothes or hair, no risk of cigarette burns by others, etc, just a nicer, cleaner atmosphere
Old 24 January 2005, 01:38 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

It's about time someone had the ***** to do it.

Wetherspoons are still crap, though
Old 24 January 2005, 01:38 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

well.. it could probably damage hearing.

and then there's the exhaust fumes...
Old 24 January 2005, 01:42 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

local indian banned smoking before christmas. it lasted 2 weeks. people stopped going there so they reveresed the ban.

(i am an ex-smoker with no vested interest in spreading pro-smoking propaganda!)
Old 24 January 2005, 01:43 PM
SupaMiniCupa
Scooby Regular

Went in my first smoke free pub the other day (the Shakespeare in Brum city centre)...

The smoke generally doesn't bother me but it was nice and fresh in there!
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I was in nice swanky restuarant on Saturday having a meal. And there was a large number o people on the next table to us. And people kept leaving for a few mins and comming back.

I presumed they went to the toilet, but when they went 3-4 times and even the women leaving the table in pairs (nothing abnormal about that ). But I was rather curious why the people at this table had such small baldders.

Then it clicked...it was a No smoking restuarant They were nipping off for a *** LOL!

Must admit, there is nothing more unpleasent than breathing in somebody's 2nd hand smoke ruining the taste and enjoyment of your overpriced Duck liver pate and pork loin
Jerome
Scooby Regular

With the amount of choice in London, for example, I imagine Weatherspoons will have a hard time. Even the keen pricing will not help them unless many other places follow suit.

The pub next door to me is doing rather badly at the moment, largely because it has no smoking room and we are currently getting outside temperatures of -20 without wind chill. It even closed 2 hours early on Saturday night because it was dead. However, another nearby pub (with a recently opened smoking room) was packed to the gills - the busiest I've seen it in 18 months.
Old 24 January 2005, 01:47 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

If smoke bothers you, don't go to the pub.
If you smoke then don't go to a pub
Old 24 January 2005, 01:50 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

No its nothing like that ..............

Its like going to the Grand Prix, getting strapped to the front of a F1 car and raced around the track with your life slowly ebbing away!!

Pete
Pete - as you love to point out it is about choice. If you don't like a smokey atmosphere, don't go somewhere smokey. If you don't like noise, don't go to a GP. It isn't rocket science. Yes as a non-smoker you should have a free choice as well, to go to a pub without worrying about smoke - many pubs have non smoking rooms. But untill smoking is totally illegal, smokers have a right to smoke as well. This is just further errosion of personal rights and choices.
Old 24 January 2005, 01:51 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

never been a big fan of wetherspoons anyway - they always seem to attract the local low-lifes - cheep beer eh?

trouble is, most low-lifes smoke.

I'm a smoker, would not entertain enetering a pub that had a ban, **** going outside.
Old 24 January 2005, 01:51 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Not really, their share price fell once it was announced.
Old 24 January 2005, 01:52 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

I can't wait for the ban to be introduced in public places. I play snooker (I know a little boring but it passes the time) once a week and I came back one night and even my hair stunk of smoke, I had to get straight into the shower otherwise my pillow would have needed fumigating (sp).
Old 24 January 2005, 01:52 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by MattW
Not really, their share price fell once it was announced.
That just means the shareholders are smokers
Old 24 January 2005, 01:59 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
If you smoke then don't go to a pub
Since pubs and tabacco have been around, people have smoked in bars. Because you don't like it, you are happy to see smoking banned? Trouble is so many people are the same, happy for things to be banned until their little world starts being encroached upon.

If the government want to take a health stance on tabacco, then fine ban it completely but stop this ***** footing aboutclaiming to be acting in the interests of public health and yet still trying to get the tax revenues.

Approx lung cancer deaths per year for smoker 30,000 (http://www.medicdirect.co.uk/clinics...id=1041&step=4) compared to several hundred from passive smoking (http://www.cancerresearchuk.org)

It is quite interesting to see all the reports quoted relating to passive smoking, may of them are derived from an old US report which actually failed to find a correlation to passive smoking and lung cancer. Get this dvd and see another side. Interestingly produced by 2 non-smokers, just pro personal rights.

Last edited by OllyK; 24 January 2005 at 02:07 PM.
Old 24 January 2005, 02:02 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Since pubs and tabacco have been around, people have smoked in bars. Because you don't like it, you are happy to see smoking banned? Trouble is so many people are the same, happy for things to be banned until their little world starts being encroached upon.

If the government want to take a health stance on tabacco, then fine ban it completely but stop this ***** footing about so they can still get the tax revenues.
Well said!
Old 24 January 2005, 02:10 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jerome
Well said!
Sorry - added to that rant
Old 24 January 2005, 02:21 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

The big goventment drive for anti-smoking is all due to the fact that it is now costing more for them to treat smoking related illnesses and disease than they make from the tax on ****.
Old 24 January 2005, 02:41 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Weatherspoons tends to be a day care centre for the financially challenged so their ban has no impact on me.
I dont smoke full time - but love a cig with a pint and if my local banned it they would lose my trade - if there was a nationwide ban making it illegal and not a landlords choice, I'd get by - I smoked in school when it was banned
I always find it hypocritical to come into a pub and wine about the smell of smoke and its health implications, but merrily sit there binge drinking...Like its OK to have red pee but not ok to chance a bit a lung disease As for the smell, I sincerely hope you all put your clothes in the wash at night? ya smelly lot!!
Old 24 January 2005, 02:44 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

My smoker of a brother has just moved in with us. No smoking allowed in the house but his clothes reek of the stuff. Now when we go upstairs we get the pong drifting down to greet us....yuk. Now where's that bottle of Febreeze .......
Old 24 January 2005, 02:52 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cyberevo
The big goventment drive for anti-smoking is all due to the fact that it is now costing more for them to treat smoking related illnesses and disease than they make from the tax on ****.
Care to back that up - last time I did some digging, if they banned smoking there would be one massive hole in the coffers.

In fact - from the ASH website:
It is true that NHS costs are lower than tobacco tax revenues. Tobacco taxation amounts to £10.5 billion per year whereas a figure for NHS spending on tobacco related disease is £1.7 billion.

Last edited by OllyK; 24 January 2005 at 02:54 PM.
Old 24 January 2005, 03:01 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Wetherspoons won't smell better until they ban the fat, sweaty jakies who hang round there from 11.00am till closing time.
Old 24 January 2005, 03:04 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

99% of people in the Burnley Wetherspoons smoke, will be funny to see what happens to it now

Quick Reply: Wetherspoons Ban Smoking in their Pubs!