Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Heads Up - Monday 7.30pm BBC1 - Police & Jammers

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2005, 11:44 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads Up - Monday 7.30pm BBC1 - Police & Jammers

Inside Out :- Supposed to be about speed cameras, detectors, JAMMERS and what the plod are doing about them

Trailer talks about them sending folk using jammers to gaol Probably just the BBC doing a bit of scaremongering for bLIAR though
Old 22 January 2005, 12:26 AM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Have to say mines been turned off for a while now
Old 22 January 2005, 12:04 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Corradoboy - what region are you in (BBC1 what?). Apparently as Inside Out is a regional mazagine not everyone will get the same episode (i.e. London and Anglia have different topics in a TV guide I have). I'd need to set up the recording on Sky+ to whatever BBC region you are in to be able to catch it. Cheers !
Old 22 January 2005, 12:55 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Took my jammer off now, getting too hot out there...
Old 22 January 2005, 06:34 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi-Frenchie
Corradoboy - what region are you in (BBC1 what?). Apparently as Inside Out is a regional mazagine not everyone will get the same episode (i.e. London and Anglia have different topics in a TV guide I have). I'd need to set up the recording on Sky+ to whatever BBC region you are in to be able to catch it. Cheers !
Yorkshire mate. BBC North ?
Old 22 January 2005, 07:22 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Cheers ! Will set my 'box up this evening. BBC Yorkshire

Last edited by STi-Frenchie; 22 January 2005 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Looked up the region on Sky+
Old 22 January 2005, 09:39 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

As has been posted on here previously they are keeping a "log" of all vehicles which cause an error on the laser gear and when a vehicle has two of these errors against it then them seem to be deeming it has having a jammer fitted. A proportion of the owners of these vehicles are being charged with perverting the course of justice which carries a potential penalty of 5 years in jail as I recall.

I have been urging for quite some time, perhaps more than a year, that people think very carefully before using these devices as it became clear that the DfT and police had plans for those using them. On some threads my comments were described as, among other things, "tripe" and while that is fair comment I would continue to urge caution should you care to use a laser jammer.

I'm not at all smug about this situation and in truth think it a sad state of affairs that the best the state can do is attempt to control and restrict the freedom of the generally law abiding majority as part of some Stalinist plan to eventually allow the state to know and control our use of and access to private transport. This control freak goal is the fundamental factor at the root of the laser jammer clamp down and the new legislation to ban devices which detect radar or laser.
Old 24 January 2005, 06:47 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Bump, 'cos it's on soon
Old 24 January 2005, 09:50 PM
antera309
Scooby Regular

Did anyone watch it?

Any new info there?
Old 24 January 2005, 09:54 PM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

Get a motorbike, then you can give them the gentlemans wave on the way past.
Old 25 January 2005, 09:10 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

No new info ! Was half asleep (due to 13hr nightshift and waxing car all day ) but it was just what those in the know already know. Yes, they are logging numbers of cars generating error readings for future investigation. Yes, they have a couple of test cases due for trying to PTCOJ (which will (should ) fail as there is no evidence of a punishable crime, hence no justice perversion). They did mention those books which claim to get you off, and had a few reporting success mostly through minor overlooks in enforcement (inadequate signage). As I thought though, just a scaremongering tactic to deter ordinary timid folks from standing up for themselves and drying up the revenue stream. Hopefully we'll all stand up for ourselves on May 5th instead
Old 25 January 2005, 12:38 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I noticed the guy in the van said they record a digital image of offending vehicles, I was under the impression that digital images were inadmissable in court? Or am I clutching at straws?!
Old 25 January 2005, 12:48 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You are right Bob.T and maybe it will need a Mr Edgar or his like to challenge it.

Les
Old 25 January 2005, 05:50 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB.T
I noticed the guy in the van said they record a digital image of offending vehicles
I very much doubt they save an image of all the cars which fail to get a reading, then put all this data into a single database to check which cars they have failed to get a reading from a few times.

Also even if they do suspect you are using a jamper, dont they need a warrant to search your car for it?
Old 25 January 2005, 05:59 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hopefully some of the manufacturers will start building stealth technology into car design. Lots of low flat angular, matt black designs!! Apparently a stealth bomber only gives the same radar trace as an insect. I'd like to see the ******* think of a way to make that illegal.
Old 25 January 2005, 06:55 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Tell you what, that bloke from the Humberside Safety Camera (!) squad looked like a right vicious ****.
Old 25 January 2005, 07:09 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by STi-Frenchie
Tell you what, that bloke from the Humberside Safety Camera (!) squad looked like a right vicious ****.
Have to wonder if nasty folk like that are getting any
Old 25 January 2005, 07:52 PM
Nixon
Scooby Regular

Farking Bar Stewards!! it should be a two way battle they arm themselves to the teeth with laser/radar guns and we get to use whatever defence mechanisims we want!! (In an ideal world)...

Re the comment on digital photographs as I stated in a post recently I had a picture taken of my car as I passed a mobile Gatso trap on the A35 in Dorset, although I was under the limit as I sailed thru' - I rekon the guy clocked the snooper sitting on the dash rekoning (hoping) it was some sort of jammer or indeed a detector so they can come knocking on my door sometime soon!

Unfortunatly for them the car is leased (company motor)... the company is registered to my accountants and I am hardly ever at the office, furthermore my Directorship is registered to my parents house in Scotland so they would have to knock on quite a few doors before getting their sticky mitts on me, just in time for the snooper to be long gone
Old 25 January 2005, 08:36 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Petem95
I very much doubt they save an image of all the cars which fail to get a reading, then put all this data into a single database to check which cars they have failed to get a reading from a few times.

Also even if they do suspect you are using a jamper, dont they need a warrant to search your car for it?
I'm only going off what I saw on the TV and the guy claimed to keep records of vehicles that didn't register a speed. My point still stands that the image they use to prove you're speeding is a digital one.

I'm not sure about the warrant thing.
Old 25 January 2005, 10:55 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Angry

Time to install a forward facing (and maybe rearwards) camera in your car, to take a picture (or pictures) of every "little hitler" who takes pictures of you.

I would love to see their faces in court, photo-ed as they were clicking their "box brownies" whilst their Scamera vans were illegally and dangerously parked by civilian cash collectors!!!!

The worm is about to turn

mb
Old 25 January 2005, 11:28 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Here's the link to the BBC website article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/yorks...he_limit.shtml
"There are some devices that will affect the speed detection device itself, but if you have got any of these you are perverting the course of justice and if found out you will go to prison."
Old 25 January 2005, 11:44 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Dont most laser jammer/garage door openers give you a limited time in which to slow down? The side effect of this would be that the Camera van will register a speed reading; hopefully one thats under the prevailing limit.....

Simon
Old 25 January 2005, 11:46 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by BBC Inside Out
In fact, a test case involving a driver caught using a laser jammer is due up in court.

Having been charged with perverting the course of justice, the driver could face a maximum penalty of life imprisonment.
Nice, impartial journalism

mb
Old 26 January 2005, 07:39 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Just be careful of the term "test case" as its more current meaning is something akin to "show trial."

I didn't see the show but the facts are pretty well established now and there is certainly a considerable risk associated with operating a laser jammer. I personally don't think that it is going to be easy to fight them on this one for the very reason that the perverting the course charges are merely a stop gap measure until they get specific legislation in place banning detectors and jammers.

They don't need a warrant to search your house or car if they are in the process of arresting you at the time, though there is certainly no reason why they couldn't get one as most of the anti-jammer "show arrests" seem to be fairly well planned for maximum effect.

Claiming that the device has another use doesn't stop you perverting the course of justice with it, just like hitting someone with a spade doesn't mean you haven't assulted them so it concerns me that they may have no trouble at all getting convictions in their "show trials." As the penalty is very severe we may see a number of motorists in each police area go to jail as part of the "show trial" system of road safety management.

Not even Stalin was smart enough to come up with a plan that a percentage of the people being persecuted by it would think it was a good idea. It will not be long before the SN faithful are on here defending jammers as safety devices.