Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

After 25 years of accident-free motoring, my brother gets 6 points in two days.

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2005, 08:51 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After 25 years of accident-free motoring, my brother gets 6 points in two days.

5mph over legal limit on two occasions.

Only a couple more nips and the dangerous ****** will be off the road and his livelihood destroyed. Quite right too.
Old 17 January 2005, 08:58 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

5mph. Jesus thats tough.
Old 17 January 2005, 09:32 AM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

He shouldn't speed then.
Old 17 January 2005, 09:34 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the sanctimonius lesson - so you've never strayed over the speed limit then?

Most speedos aren't even that accurate!
Old 17 January 2005, 09:35 AM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

Maybe, maybe not. But I wouldn't complain if I had indeed been speeding. We all know the law, it's called a speed 'limit' not a speed 'rough guide'.

IMO
Old 17 January 2005, 09:40 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

He isn't complaining, I am. He was keeping up with traffic flow on an unfamiliar road and was watching the road, which, I understand, is the correct place for your eyes to be when driving.

As you imply, though, he's a complete danger to society and should be off the road.

In fact, he's had them for three months and the first time he mentioned it was yesterday.
Old 17 January 2005, 09:42 AM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
As you imply, though, he's a complete danger to society and should be off the road.
We agree on that then!
Old 17 January 2005, 09:58 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

5 mph over the limit? Man that sucks big time
Old 17 January 2005, 09:58 AM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris L
Thanks for the sanctimonius lesson - so you've never strayed over the speed limit then?

Most speedos aren't even that accurate!
Yup, by law, speedo's can show you going faster than you really are by up to 10%.

Let's assume the speed limit was 70mph and his speedo has the max 10% error allowed. His speedo would be showing 77mph for him to be doing an actual 70mph. To be caught doing 5mph over the limit, his speedo would be showing 80+mph.....pretty obvious at first glance that you are speeding.

**** happens....I got 3 points and a £60 fine for doing 32 in a 30 on a quiet road and late at night. I was about 3 feet away from the NSL sign. The polite Policeman even told me the distance I was from the sign. Here in Teesside, the Police have a Zero tolerance policy....1mph over the limit and you will be done.

Last edited by theotherphil; 17 January 2005 at 10:01 AM.
Old 17 January 2005, 10:00 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Exact same for me .. ........................and on the same strech o road..! 36 in a 30 (2002), my previous misdermeanour 8 years previous, was 3 points for the same . and on the same strech...but that was quite a bit faster and i deserved it . Thing is in those 8 years i consistantly did 40 2/3 times a day every day on this road...

Last edited by dpb; 17 January 2005 at 10:07 AM.
Old 17 January 2005, 10:12 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Angry

That sucks! i was done for being 4mph over the 40 limit so i can relate. Twice in such a short period of time is bad news.

Shame more effort is not put into dangerous cars and drivers - but that would mean more Traffic Police and more cost and more effort for less revinue and that is not on this governments agenda.
Old 17 January 2005, 10:18 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by theotherphil
. Here in Teesside, the Police have a Zero tolerance policy....1mph over the limit and you will be done.
Well done for identifying the area!! My bruv travels around mending and servicing pumps. He has obviously fallen foul of the zero tolerance. I feel really sorry for him, cos I know he's a good, courteous and attentive driver. He hasn't had any endorsements since he accumulated a whopping six points for three iffy tyres when he was a lad.
Old 17 January 2005, 10:48 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

What a feckin' disgrace. God help us all if New Labour are re-elected.

Old 17 January 2005, 10:50 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

well its a hassle but theres no way he will tot up 12 points unless he's an idiot.

he just needs to drive everywhere at/within the limit...thats a hassle but quit possible....the stuff about " i cant because i watch the road" is crap.....if you cant drive at the limit because you cant take your eyes of the road to look at the speedo (which still leaves the road in your vision anyway unless you speedo is in the footwell) then you are a useless driver.

T
Old 17 January 2005, 10:59 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Like I said... as far as he was concerned he was just making progress within the general traffic flow. I'm not sure you'd notice 5mph in the general run of things. I accept what you say that claiming to be watching the road rather than the speedo isn't really a valid excuse for speeding, but it seems a bit harsh, considering that he does a lot of driving all over the country and gets completely stung in Teeside. I wonder how many hundreds more were done on those two days.
Old 17 January 2005, 11:03 AM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by darts_aint_sport
Maybe, maybe not. But I wouldn't complain if I had indeed been speeding. We all know the law, it's called a speed 'limit' not a speed 'rough guide'.

IMO
I think you need to look into some traffic history here.

Until fairly recently, the signs were exactly that and the traffic engineers would freely admit it.
The police would only do you for speeding if you were doing other stupid things that they can't prove so easilly.
IOW, if you drove safely at high speed (and wern't black) then they would leave you alone.
Old 17 January 2005, 11:13 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

you are mistaking "what you used top get away with" with "the law"
Old 17 January 2005, 11:21 AM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

Indeed. It may be an unwritten rule that you are allowed to get away with going a few mph over the limit, or that everyone does 80 on the motorway so that's the real limit, but it's not the law and you cannot object to speeding if you are over the limit as specified by the LAW, surely.
Old 17 January 2005, 11:30 AM
Lum
Scooby Regular

I beleive, though have not been able to confirm, that the speed limit signs went up way before they were made law and were intended as guidelines from the start.

With the ever improving safety and handling of vehicles why haven't they ever been reviewed, hmm?

There is one noteable event that marks the start of the current trend of speed limit enforcement as well as the change from derestricted to NSL and that was Vauxhall using the M1 as a test track. I wonder what would happen if a boycott of Vauxhall was started until NSL returned to it's derestricted status
Old 17 January 2005, 11:36 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"With the ever improving safety and handling of vehicles why haven't they ever been reviewed, hmm?"

because that old idea suggests that if cars can stop quicker, handle better and are safer to crash you should let them go quicker......

it ignores that people drive worse and there are many times more cars on the road than there used to be.

T
Old 17 January 2005, 11:52 AM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Bubba - your brother will soon feature on here as the subject of someone's rage that
despite being on a clear road, in perfect conditions, he was doddering along at below the speed limit (FFS), and the driver had to perform a dangerous overtaking move, to get past the idiot."
Old 17 January 2005, 11:58 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

LOL... Yes, It's a real melting pot on here. Nice corner, by the way. It's a good job he was only in his Astramax van and not a scoob. He may have cracked the sound barrier past a school.... Just for't' laugh.
Old 17 January 2005, 12:35 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Tigg's point is quite fair about increasing speed limits. The increase in traffic over recent years is enormous and that is important when considering the lower speed limits in constricted areas. The other point about drivers is also relevant. The limits have to cater for the vast range of drivers' skills and some drivers who are considered fit to drive normally may well not be able to cope at the higher speeds in a constricted part of the road whereas they are perfectly safe at the speed limit.

I thiink there is a case for raising the limits on the motorways however and I think that 85 would be a reasonable compromise.

I think it is really hard luck to get 6 points for such low speed offences. I certainly think his penalty should have been at least reduced in this case.

Darts aint etc.,

You must live your life by numbers!

Les
Old 17 January 2005, 12:42 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
it ignores that people drive worse and there are many times more cars on the road than there used to be.
Sorry, that argument doesn't wash when I'm on a totally empty country road constrained by an artificially low 50 limit (see: most of Oxfordshire)

If people drive worse then fix the cause not the symptom, ie. fix the drivers.
Old 17 January 2005, 01:07 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

"With the ever improving safety and handling of vehicles why haven't they ever been reviewed, hmm?"

because that old idea suggests that if cars can stop quicker, handle better and are safer to crash you should let them go quicker......

T
What's the basis for that statement Tiggs? Once upon a time there wasn't a test of any description and even the test taken nowadays is much more severe than the one I took 17 years ago. Surely the overall standard of driving is better, at least on "Day 1" of someone's driving life.
Old 17 January 2005, 01:13 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
What's the basis for that statement Tiggs? Once upon a time there wasn't a test of any description and even the test taken nowadays is much more severe than the one I took 17 years ago. Surely the overall standard of driving is better, at least on "Day 1" of someone's driving life.

its my opinon based on too many issue that i cant be bothered to explain.....and as limits are set at the point i would like them i dont need to
Old 17 January 2005, 01:22 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear he got forced to contribute 120quid to reducing Labours public debt

What really pisses me off with this whole speed camera issue (other than the idiots who miss the point of the argument & say "well u shouldnt be breaking the law by speeding") is that theres certain areas I'd love to see speed traps but dont.

I drive through lots of built up areas (children out playing etc), and generally most people stay within the limits - but you get the odd tw@t in his Nova tearing along at 40-50mph. These are the sorts of drivers who really should be targetted by speed traps as theyre a genuine danger, but as its all about easy money now they prefer to hide on much safer roads where theres a higher volume of traffic, so a constant flow of revenue catching all those maniacs for doing 44 in 40.....
Old 17 January 2005, 01:29 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

its my opinon based on too many issue that i cant be bothered to explain.....and as limits are set at the point i would like them i dont need to
Fair do's if you can't be arsed. That's everybody's right

I can understand people being upset by some limits. A recent bit of road near me has suddenly dropped from a 50 to a 30 for no obvious reason. By that I mean nothing has changed there with respect to road surface, road layout, adjoining roads, etc. and I certainly know of no accidents along there (although I don't know everything to be fair )

That issue aside though, I grumble about some limits and some seem pointless but I choose to stick within them on A,B and unclassified roads. I may choose to exceed them on M roads but I certainly wouldn't complain about being done for it.

I think what upsets some people is the disproportionate amount of emphasis put on speeding motorists (with no distinction made between those doing 2mph and those doing 20mph over the limit) when other, more severe crimes are relatively unpunished.
Old 17 January 2005, 01:40 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully he will now watch his speed and conform to the law of the land - as voted for by the majority of normal people.

5mph above the posted limit may seem harsh (and I feel for that view!) but, we MUST remember that the Speed Limit is a LIMIT

It is NOT a TARGET!!

Try doing 60 in a 70, 40 in a 50, 50 in a 60 and 20 in a 30 ..... you will find it quite relaxing and soothing - amazingly, you will also not need a detector or a solicitor!!

Then, everyones a winner!!

Pete
Old 17 January 2005, 01:44 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Try doing 60 in a 70, 40 in a 50, 50 in a 60 and 20 in a 30 ..... you will find it quite relaxing and soothing - amazingly, you will also not need a detector or a solicitor!!
You must obviously hate your job and your family then.

Me, I like to get home before 7PM. It doesn't happen very often but it's nice when it does.

Quick Reply: After 25 years of accident-free motoring, my brother gets 6 points in two days.