Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Big Brother in the form of Trafficmaster???

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2005, 11:11 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Big Brother in the form of Trafficmaster???

Found this on another board, may be a SIAL of complet bollox but thats never stopped me from posting in the past

UK Army Intelligence real time tracking of vehicle number plates

Have you ever noticed blue or green 'lampposts' with shaded flat screens facing the traffic every few miles on the sides of British A Roads? These have appeared under the name 'AA Trafficmaster' over the last three or four years.

Many of these Trafficmaster 'lamppost' cameras say on them 'Traffic jam early warning system for motorists, NOT A CAMERA, NOT A SPEED TRAP, Telephone 01908 249800'. Well maybe Trafficmaster should be prosecuted under the trades descriptions act - because, while the devices do detect the speed of passing traffic and relay it to the AA they certainly are cameras, and have a secret function that is mentioned on neither the poles or the publicity. They are also linked to similar devices which are replacing infra-red sensors on motorway bridges.

The 'Trafficmaster' cameras are primarily a vehicle number plate tracking system connected to British Army Intelligence under the army's codename 'Glutton'. The Automobile Association are providing a genuine congestion avoidance service but it is also a convenient cover for domestic army intelligence (and presumably MI5 too) surveillance of all cars in the UK.

The cameras are used for 'real-time' tracking of number plates on trunk roads across the country using a system called 'Passive Target Flow Measurement' or PTFM. The British army and unspecified 'others' are using the system to track suspicious or innocent vehicles with no checks on who they are tracking and why. The system can be used to track peaceful protesters, church outings, journeys to party conferences. Anything, in fact that those with access to Glutton choose.

The system got its army codename because of the sheer volume of number plate time and location data it keeps, so every single time your vehicle has gone past one of these 'non-camera' cameras it will have been recorded. A useful way of checking where cars have been and when but also an outrageous infringement of civil liberties introduced with absolutely no justification.

This technology has been introduced, as much of the similar CCTV biometric technology, without approval from the British people and is actively destructive of the democratic system. It must be exposed, it must be dismantled. The people who have arranged for and profited from the installation of this system are arguably guilty of contempt for human rights and privacy.

The Trafficmaster website provides a comprehensive map of Glutton surveillanced trunk roads here http://www.trafficmaster.co.uk/page.cfm?key=network so you can plan your route to avoid being tracked by army intelligence if you wish.

It is part of a much wider top-down change by the establishment in the way we do things. Its about discarding the assumption of innocence, held sacred since Magna Carta. Now every citizen is a suspect and this has left us with biometric, face-recognition, CCTV and now Glutton. (see Qinetiq's biometric nightmare by Alf Mendes http://www.bilderberg.org/wwiii.htm#Q)

Remember - if you've never done anything wrong you have nothing to fear from Glutton. But I, for one, would be extremely surprised if drug dealing mafia elements within our intelligence agencies will get caught in their own net. Don't hold your breath.

With the wall of secrecy surrounding army intelligence the public are not even allowed to know who is deciding what is a legitimate journey and what is not.

Further info and pictures at http://www.spy.org.uk/trafficmaster.htm

Paranoid - Moi?
Old 11 January 2005, 11:38 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Army Intelligence
Who are they kidding?
Old 11 January 2005, 12:03 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Talking

Do we forward this on to everyone in our address books?
Old 11 January 2005, 12:16 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Mmmmm, any one know if this is true?
Wouldnt surprise me though.

However I always wondered how "Traffic Master" could afford the cost of this huge system. It must have been horrificly expensive and I always wondered where the investment money came from. Particularly as hardly any one uses it. I also wondered how they could get permission to erect so many poles and lay so much cabling. Once again just think of all the planning permissions that would have been required. So this would answer those questions.

Last edited by r32; 11 January 2005 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11 January 2005, 12:24 PM
lmsbman
Scooby Regular

Complete bollox I'm afraid.
A few years ago I was dealing with a hit and run fatal accident and I spoke to traffic master about their cameras in order to trace the offending vehicle.
Basically, the cameras read your number plate as you go past. They then store the registration number -minus the first and last letter. When you go past the next camera, the computer then calculates your average speed betwwen the two cameras. The first reading is then 'dumped' by the system when you go past the third camera and so on.
They were unable to help me with my enquiry as the information is deleted as soon as the calculation is made.
I've no doubt they could do as suggested in this thread, but they've set the system up in the way they have, so that they can avoid accusations of big brother.
Old 11 January 2005, 12:25 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

<cough>Bull****</cough>
Old 11 January 2005, 12:38 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

By default the system does discard the first couple of numbers, however i'm sure this feature can be turned off or switched to look for certain plates..
Old 11 January 2005, 01:17 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Scary stuff indeed. It's the Army bit that makes me cough!

From Trafficmaster.co.uk...

Sensor Technology

Trunk Roads - PTFM

Trunk roads use a different technology to cater for the different traffic patterns experienced on such roads. Traffic turns off at junctions and may stop in lay-bys, at shopping centres etc, so simple speed measurement would not generate quality data. Passive Target Flow Measurement (PTFM) uses number plate recognition technology to ''grab'' the four centre digits of a vehicle number plate. This is turned into a four figure electronic ''tag'' on site – no number plate data is retained.

As the vehicle proceeds along the road and passes the next site(s), average journey times between sites are calculated and sophisticated computer programmes establish the speed of the traffic over those ''links''. In a seamless process, traffic speed on that particular section of road is then delivered to the traffic information product.
Old 11 January 2005, 01:34 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

wow is it April already...
Old 11 January 2005, 01:40 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r32
I always wondered how "Traffic Master" could afford the cost of this huge system. It must have been horrificly expensive and I always wondered where the investment money came from.
Public flotation. Next?
Old 11 January 2005, 01:43 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Scary stuff indeed..
Yeah don the tinfoil hats, cos theres no ANPR vans round your way! No actually, theres is, cos the government gave each force a special bit of cash for this exact project, and there no such thing as specs or rings of steel...

zzzzzzz
Old 11 January 2005, 01:44 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

this has wound me up a tad as you can see. Is pslewis posting under a pseudonym these days?
Old 12 January 2005, 01:41 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Must all be part of the "grand plan" that UB and I keep muttering about!

Les