Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone here senior with Tesco?

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2005, 05:11 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here senior with Tesco?

Having a small prob with my 17 year olds wages.

He worked for Tesco for a couple of months before christmas as temporary staff, finished Christmas eve.

Has been promised his wages every Tuesday and Friday since, and has walked the three miles each way to the store in the hope that he'll get paid each time, just to be sent away and told to 'try again'.

Have spoken to a couple of people at branch level but don't seem to be able to get any sense out of them.
Old 07 January 2005, 07:26 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

Ring the store, ask to speak to the manager, speak to the manager, mention in passing a complaint to head office if nowt's done, result.

Now, can anyone tell ME how to get back £80 owed to my son by the tax people?
The B@stards just keep asking for stuff we can't get. Surely they've a record of what he paid?
W@nkers!

Alcazar
Old 07 January 2005, 08:11 PM
ThrustSSC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Now, can anyone tell ME how to get back £80 owed to my son by the tax people?
Yes, if you genuinely feel they're being unreasonable, as opposed to just strict, complain to 'The Commissioners'. Just normal folk, but they have last say when it comes to dealing with the IR.

A little known, but very useful, bit of info
Old 07 January 2005, 08:52 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

To hell with that its his money not theirs he has earn't it. Get yourself down there and scream and shout near the checkout or better still take a banner with ''robbing basxtards'' written on it till they pay up ..im thinking they wont wanna be in the limelight too much?

gary
Old 07 January 2005, 08:58 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Damned fools! I'd definately do what Gutmann says, make some posters up or something and hold them up outside. they'll soon sort it out.
Old 07 January 2005, 09:01 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I always remember a clothes shop who charged me twice for the same item. I took my statement in showing the error etc. They said they wouldnt cough up so i got a little upset and got them to search the receipts. Funnily enough they only found one for the one thing i bought. They still wouldnt pay so i started the ''you robbing basxtards'' routine and low and behold the till got opened and my £55 miraculously came out and was given back to me.
Old 07 January 2005, 09:47 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I'm expecting a call from the general manager at the store tomorrow morning, will remind him that we spend the best part of £200 in there every week, as do my family, neighbours etc, and then ask which way he wants to do it- noisy or quiet

I'm sure it will be sorted now we've started making noises on his behalf.

Regarding the tax issue alcazar, if its the under 18 issue you're referring to they usually sort it pretty quickly and easily? maybe the CAB is your best course of action- I'm sure they'll know which buttons to press.
Old 08 January 2005, 07:48 AM
andy1505
Scooby Regular

Quick note, I am a store manager myself(not for Tesco's), we try to get wages right every week but with over 200 staff many of them temps at xmas it can be hard. Make sure you have all his shifts written down and his payslips. Speak to the manager, but try not to do the I spend £200 a week in here routine(always F**ks me off every time) whether you spend the money in the store or not. If you get abusive we always put you through to Head Office so if you want quick results appeal to his better nature(if possible!)
Old 08 January 2005, 08:10 AM
dba
Scooby Regular

the GMgr wont have a clue why,all he/she can do is start nagging the people who do,which he will,if you give him 3 days before you phone his boss
Old 08 January 2005, 10:15 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

gallon of petrol and a box of swan vesta should do the trick .
Old 08 January 2005, 11:15 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy1505
Quick note, I am a store manager myself(not for Tesco's), we try to get wages right every week but with over 200 staff many of them temps at xmas it can be hard. Make sure you have all his shifts written down and his payslips. Speak to the manager, but try not to do the I spend £200 a week in here routine(always F**ks me off every time) whether you spend the money in the store or not. If you get abusive we always put you through to Head Office so if you want quick results appeal to his better nature(if possible!)
appreciate entirely what you are saying, but to be honest I'm not hard up for the money and that is not the reason for my anger.

my point about spending £200 may f**k you off but it is, nonetheless, a valid argument; I also despise the 'i pay your wages' comments, but that isn't my point; I refuse to contribute to an organisation which treats young hard working employees in this manner. what would have happened if he hadn't any family to support him?
Old 08 January 2005, 07:11 PM
RB5201
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RRH

my point about spending £200 may f**k you off but it is, nonetheless, a valid argument;
Why is it people always quote this expecting a quicker/better response. Why is it valid argument, it has nothing to do with your son not being paid, he should have been paid by now irrelavant of how much you do or dont spend there each week. This line does nothing but p1ss off whoever you complain to and will not get you a quicker response, no preference is given in Tesco to those which spend more than others. Shouting or swearing will not help either, it will just p1ss the person off who you need to help you. Your best repsonse is to speak to the store manager, I guess as a xmas temp your son may be paid by cheque, if this is the case then the store does have the facilty to pay your son cash, and then hold back the cheque when it does arrive. This option however is not practised often at store, but can be done.
In my experiance the way people complain will have a difference on the outcome. The most succesful tactic is to remain civil, polite and above all do not patronise. If he sympathises with you and your son he will help you resolve it as oppossed to you p1ssing him off. If you do not have any joy with the store manager ask for the name of his boss, who will be the stores director, if you post up the name of the store I can pm you his name if you need it.
Old 08 January 2005, 11:09 PM
andy1505
Scooby Regular

RRH, hope you get the money, always remember their are many ways to skin a cat. Ask for the regional managers name and contact number. For £200 the regional won't be arsed to get involved and will give the manager major grief for letting it get to him.
Old 08 January 2005, 11:12 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

mate get a few mates and make up a banner and stand outside tesco, they wont want the publicity and then get one of the unions involved or maybe do something legal
Old 09 January 2005, 09:35 AM
dba
Scooby Regular

believe me,he will have a target to meet for customer complaints,he will NOT want one going to HO,so just threaten him with going to HO within 3 days.Easy.
Old 09 January 2005, 11:38 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I don't think you quite understand what I'm saying.

If I were to behave in the same way towards family of my customers I would expect them to get rather upset.

To allow the poor lad to walk to work and back twice weekly, trying to get paid, is not right.

I got to speak to the store manager on Friday, he promised me that as soon as his personnel person came in yesterday he would ring me, and that the call would be no later than 9.30, which I thought was fair enough.

The call never came.
Old 09 January 2005, 11:56 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

can you not take them to small claims court?
Old 09 January 2005, 12:04 PM
andy1505
Scooby Regular

The manager is poor then(he should of checked as too whether the issue had been sorted even if he passed it onto admin), get the regional managers number and ask him for his help. This is a stupid situation the store have put themselves in. Otherwise a letter to their HR department at Head Office asking for a breakdown of wagespaid/hours worked.
You are right to be upset. Take your trade elsewhere as this will make you feel better.
Old 09 January 2005, 01:59 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

absolutely,the mgr is a ******

phone HO and ask to speak to the personnel director
Old 10 January 2005, 12:22 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I think that this is only a short term problem that will be sorted before very long, so don't really want to take too much action.

Although I'm rather p'd off I have taken the relaxed approach, and if this is an oversight, I'll give them time to sort it. Everyone makes mistakes, fortunately the boy has us to fight his corner and support him til its sorted.

tbh I'm suspecting that someone realises that they've cocked up and a load of passing the buck has been occurring. Hopefully now I've struck the right nerve.

Thanks for all your help guys, will let you know how we get on....
Old 10 January 2005, 01:13 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Is the £80 he's "owed" due to tax deductions?
If so, check out http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/stud...x_back_1_1.htm which may be helpful. There used to be a form which temp staf (esp. students) would submit to employers to ensure any pay was made tax-free. Agencies are usually aware of this, an employer like Tesco may not have been. Without the exemption form I think they are completely right to deduct PAYE. Sadly it's up to your son to claim the tax back.
Old 10 January 2005, 01:55 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

How about emailing the store manager a link to this thread....?

Trust me - Tesco are not at all forgiving with ANY of their suppliers - so there's no reason to have to put up with it as a customer. Won't touch them with a barge pole these days unless I absolutely have to!