Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Eraserhead - WTF was that about then?

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2005, 08:35 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eraserhead - WTF was that about then?

David Lynch = Weird. Eraserhead..........hmmmmmm WTF? anyone care to explain? in two minds now about Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway? Are these any better?

cheers

big sinky
Old 06 January 2005, 08:44 AM
stormyuklondon1
Scooby Regular

ooooh, eraserhead, what a crock of shyte!
put me off watching anything by lynch....
Old 06 January 2005, 08:52 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

I think it was based upon his own anxieties about fatherhood and impending nuclear war.
Old 06 January 2005, 08:54 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
David Lynch = Weird. Eraserhead..........hmmmmmm WTF? anyone care to explain? in two minds now about Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway? Are these any better?

cheers

big sinky
So you have started your David Lynch apprenticeship with Eraserhead eh? Hmmmm.... You're a brave man.

OK firstly Eraserhead. Hard to say what it's about as unlike most of Lynch's films he himself has never fully explained it. My take is that it is at least part if not all dream influenced and focuses on some men's worse nightmare - that of rasing an unwanted child on their own. There is also comment on dehumanisation and hints towards masturbation being the only form of safe sex (all other sexual acts in the film are treated as 'dirty' and unhealthy). I think the erasers are to do with how the mind works both in dreams and when under stress, but all this is just what I get from it.

It is not a film you should try too hard to get to the bottom of, watch it a few times and let the surrealism wash over you. Then you find your thought processes take over and you start to assemble 'your' meaning to the film. The other thing to say about it is that it was made on an incredibly small budget (around $25K I think) and some of the effects are better than many Hollywood movies of the time.

As for Lynch's other movies most are far more accessible than Eraserhead although still with varying degrees of 'weirdness'. This, however is one of the things that makes them so much better than most of the Hollywood mainstream dross as they actually make you think and allow you to take what you want from the films rather than having it all laid out on a plate for you.

I can recommend Wild at Heart as being one of his more accessible movies, but to me his masterpiece is Blue Velvet - one of the three finest movies ever made. A perfect balance of Lynch trademarks and accessibility with an all time great performance from Dennis Hopper. Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive and any of the Twin Peaks series/movies are also excellent.

Good luck and welcome to the world of David Lynch, persevere and you'll find these films far more rewarding than most of the Hollywood crap I promise you that.

tiggers.
Old 06 January 2005, 09:15 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Tiggers

Thanks for that. I must admit i was a liitle stoned when i watched it, but i thought the photography was fantastic. The use of B+W and the light and dark scenes as well as the characters i thought was very thought provoking as well. the stark images that Lynch portrays, the pockmarked man grinding in the derelict building, the use of white noise throughout the movie, the brick wall that was only only view from henry's window, the stage scene with hamster cheek girl squashing all the foetuses. I am not so much worried about "getting" the movies and am happy to watch these Lynch movies for their technical and visual merits.

cheers

big sinky
Old 06 January 2005, 10:38 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

No worries mate and I think being a little stoned is no problem as regards Eraserhead . You're absolutely right about the visual aspect of the film, it's even more startling when you realise how little it cost to make.

Let us know what you think of Blue Velvet when you get round to watching it.

Have fun,

tiggers.
Old 06 January 2005, 01:35 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

just been to HMV at lunch time. Wild at Heart £5.99 and Blue Velvet £14.99. guess what i've gone and done...........yep, bought them from DVDsoon @ $30 CAD or £13.
Old 07 January 2005, 10:47 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Good man, let us know what you think of Blue Velvet - I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers,

tiggers.