EGYPT/shalm el sheikh?

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2005, 07:32 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGYPT/shalm el sheikh?

Me and the missus are off on hols in feb,and was thinking about the red sea
Some top notch looking hotels and great scope for some snortelling(or drowning trying)

Anyone been and what are you impressions of the area?

Dont want to get there and spend a full week running from bandits riding camels

all feedback and personal experiances mucho grato!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03 January 2005, 08:10 PM
dualtech
Scooby Regular

Hi..

We stayed at the Sol Sharm last year. Fantastic hotel, food was ok with a good selection.

This hotel is about 5 miles out of the "town" of Shalm el Sheikh but they do lay on a free bus for you.

Also free bus to beach but you can walk it in 10 mins.

Only dodgy moment we had was when walking along the beach away from the hotel 3 scruffs looked like trouble so did a quick u turn.

If you like snorkelling its the place to go.

Old 03 January 2005, 08:16 PM
dualtech
Scooby Regular

Here's the wild life

Old 03 January 2005, 08:47 PM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Me and the Missus went to Sharm this time last year and really enjoyed it. Basically there are two parts to it, Old Sharm which is still a fairly traditional Egyptian small town and Naama Bay which is pretty much a total tourist resort. The people are pretty friendly and although you get a lot of hassle from shop keepers, after a few days you learn to just ignore them and keep walking.
If you get the chance go on a trip to Mount Sinai to watch the sunrise, it is truly magical. Take lots of warm clothes with you though 'cos it's bloody freezing on the top! There are Bedouin guys up there who hire out blankets and foam mattresses, well worth a couple of quid if you get to the top about two hours before sunrise like we did.
The best bit of all though is the Red Sea, if you haven't seen a tropical reef before it will blow your mind, there are just so many fish and corals of every imaginable colour it makes the Med look like a lifeless puddle in comparison.
Go for it you'll love it.
Old 03 January 2005, 09:09 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

we're looking to do that this year.

the outlaws went last year and they're off again to Sharm next week ! not sure exactly where though.

they had a great time last year. was scorching in may.
Old 03 January 2005, 09:33 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Some superb pics there matey,looks like you found yourself a top notch hotel
Were thinking of booking the raddisson golden resort complex,but i think i will be taking a look at the hotel you guys stayed at before we comfirm anything

Any more pics matey
Old 04 January 2005, 08:48 AM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Me and the missus went about 18 months ago and really enjoyed it. The snorkelling\diving is terrific. One highlight was having Dolphins swim\jump around the boat, and seeing a mum and baby jump together - twas very sweet

Feb would be a good time to go as it's still gonna be hot hot hot. The people were lovely and couldn't do enough for us.

We went into the main town one evening and found a Hard Rock Cafe - I know I know, not very 'authentic' but I fancied a burger. Anyhoo, filled our boots with starters, drinks, afters, cocktails etc etc and it was less than £30 for the two of us But what really made me smile was that all of the waiters were guys, and they had MTV on all the tellies. Then 'Nothing Else Matters' by Metallica came on, and ALL the waiters were singing there heads off, breaking out the old 'air guitars' - twas a cool atmosphere

Highly recommended mate...have fun.

Matt
Old 04 January 2005, 01:15 PM
scoobydee2
Scooby Regular

Egypt - What can I say, apart from we bloody love it, going for the third time in June. Everything is just fantastic, the hotels, the weather, the diving,the people and value for money.

We stopped in Sharm in 2003 really nice place, would recommend a hotel near Namma bay of you like to get out of the hotel but all hotels usually provide a free shuttle bus but local buses and taxis are fine to use. I can also vouch for the hard rock cafe, brilliant, and of course there was a much appreciated McDonalds for the nipper.

2004 we went to Hurghada ( we dont tend to go to the same places twice ) and again we were not disappointed and 5 days after we got back we booked for El Gouna for September 2005.

Are you coming to The Chesterfield meet in Jan, if so I could tell you all about it and bring the pics.
Old 04 January 2005, 02:00 PM
Dr Nick
Scooby Regular

Went last feb. Was 38C on the last day - a bit hotter than usual

You will be bothered by shop keepers in the old market but not agressively so.

The tour company may try to scam you by telling you that the only booze in the whole place has to be bought at the airport. This is a lie - all the hotels will sell you a beer. Beer available on the beach too

The main strip of hotels on the beach is fine for snorlelling but there is a much better place nearer the old town that is at the bottom of a long flight of steps. Don't know the name - just got in a taxi with some Russians and went there for the day. If someone on here can give better directions then you must go. Seriously, photos I got were fantastic!!!

Stay 5 star if you can. and be careful what you eat. Always carry a spare pair of trousers with you. Wash all fruit, brush your teeth with bottled water only and keep your mouth shut in the shower.

Check with the travel agent if the hotel has its own beach (most do) and how far away it is (some are actually on the beach).

Was going to go back this christmas but BBC website forecast snow on one of the days! Couldn't believe it!

Well worth a trip and good value too.

Cheers
Old 04 January 2005, 06:05 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobydee2

Are you coming to The Chesterfield meet in Jan, if so I could tell you all about it and bring the pics.
MEET?

Is that the fox house place thingy meet?

yeah sounds good,is it a all welcome meet(kids and stuff,leisurely drive) or a meet,meet(loud pedals all the way)
if its the first option i will make one with the young lad and the witch(sorry i mean the missus)
cheers me dear mark
Old 04 January 2005, 06:25 PM
scoobydee2
Scooby Regular

Mark

If you look in the midlands section details of the meet are on there, quite a few from the sheff area going. Its an all is welcome meet and includes a leisurely drive as we have got the 3 year old with us but if its anything to do with her it will loud pedals as she sits back in her car seat shouting " go daddy go, fast " Aren't kids brill, lol.

And yes she loves egypt too, echip as she calls it, went on a trip to cairo and her reaction when she saw the sphinx was brill " ooohhhh wow " was all we got.

Hope to see you there ( the meet that is, not egypt unless you're offering to take me in your suitcase ).

Adele
Old 04 January 2005, 07:02 PM
dualtech
Scooby Regular

a few more pic's

Old 04 January 2005, 07:22 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dualtech
a few more pics