Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Toe - broken or bruised?

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2005, 11:28 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Toe - broken or bruised?

Wifey very excited as we had a party on NYE, with the promise of much dancing (something she enjoys and hasn't done for a long time).

First guests arrive at 10pm with a bottle of white wine. She goes to the kitchen, puts it in the fridge (high shelf), and it slides out and nosedives onto her little toe. That's a drop of about 5.5ft onto a tiled floor, with only pinkie in between.

Alcohol helped as a local anaesthetic, and we got to bed at 5am, so the party was pretty good, but the toe looks a mess.

Is there any easy ways of telling if it's broken or just seriously bruised? It's a horrible colour, with a bit of bruising around the other toes. She can wiggle it, and it aches dully when not aggravated - of course, if she walks on it for any length of time, it hurts a lot more. Obviously it's not sticking out at right-angles.

I wonder of the value of going for an X-ray - if bruised, they'll say rest it for four days, and if broken, they'll say rest it for a week. They can't splint a little toe surely?

Thanks for any tips (tips like "don't put bottles on high shelves" excepted )
Old 02 January 2005, 11:35 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a doctor to look at it would be the best advice to give.
Old 02 January 2005, 11:46 AM
Dieseldog
Scooby Regular

I think I broke my little toe once - stubbed it, heard a "CRACK", toe went completely black/blue after about two minutes, phoned my uncle (a doctor) who advised that although it was probably broken, not to bother my doctor/hospital as there's nothing they could do.

I just lived with it for a couple of weeks until it sorted itself out. It was uncomfortable, but not what you'd call really painful.
Old 02 January 2005, 12:02 PM
mancamefirst
Scooby Regular

Broke my big toe (I think) in the Summer. Long story involving a few footballs, a local park, my four year old and half a dozen of his schoolfriends. Agony for a week, hurt for about a month. Managed to remain composed whilst within view of the other kids mums though.

Didn't bother with GP or Hospital, as you say what can they do.....
Old 02 January 2005, 12:02 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Was the bottle broken though? Get your priorities right please
Old 02 January 2005, 12:26 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

the rule of thumb/toe is if it can be moved then probably not broken but not always the case. Better get it checked once the party season over
I lifted a case of Cinzano in the hotel cellar once and the ar$e fell out the box depositing one right on my toe. The toe broke/the bottle did'nt until in a fit of petty rage I picked it up & smashed it off the wall. Made me feel better
Alas
Old 02 January 2005, 12:39 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by David Lock
Was the bottle broken though?
Let's put it this way - any "friend" that brings a bottle of wine that doesn't drop after a fall of that height onto stone has obviously not brought some wine worth bringing

Thought we'd cleared it all up until we found the puppy chewing happily on an inch-square section of broken glass

There you are kids - alcohol and the damage it can cause
Old 02 January 2005, 01:24 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

OK - hope she's soon on the mend
Old 02 January 2005, 02:37 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

either broken or bruised theres pretty much jack all they doctors/hospital can do apart from give cool pain killers. (you could goto hospital sit down for a few hours, have an xray, sit down for another hour, and then be told the same if you wish, any good triage could tell you that in the first 2 mins.)

so would suggest getting some co-dyramol in tablet form and take 2 tablets 3 times a day, as thats all you will be perscribed anyway. (avoiding alcohol)

happy new year
Old 02 January 2005, 04:02 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

As said, doctors can't really do anything about broken toes so I'd just stick to Ibuprofen to stop the pain and the swelling, but get it checked out anyway. Arnica cream or tablets can also work wonders with the bruising.