Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

DVD Transfers

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2004, 08:12 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question DVD Transfers

Is there anyway of giving an older film better sound when transfering to dvd?

Example: My Deer Hunter Special Edition is in Stereo, would it have being possible to mix it in 5.1?
Old 29 December 2004, 09:01 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

If your system has pro-logic 2 then thats an imporvement..of sorts.
Old 29 December 2004, 09:09 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Yeah it does, I take it it cant be remixed for dvd then?
Old 29 December 2004, 09:14 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

If it could i would have thought they would have done that when they issued the special edition?
Old 29 December 2004, 09:18 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Well you have to question their thinking sometimes dont you!!!!
Old 29 December 2004, 09:23 PM
CoobyS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 16vmarc

Example: My Deer Hunter Special Edition is in Stereo, would it have being possible to mix it in 5.1?
Assuming you are doing this at home, then in a word, no (unless you just go for noise reduction).

However, you can get some pretty cool decoders when you stick the CD in they can create a 5.1 sound. Mine does it - and even has a music 5.1 mode which makes live stero recording sound superb.
Old 29 December 2004, 09:27 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

music in 5.1,whats the point.
5.1 is designed for films to create movement and a "surround sound" experience.Isnt music recorded in stereo because you have two ears?
Old 29 December 2004, 09:32 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Suppose 5.1 could work for certain music, but yes i agree i too dont see the point in 5.1 for conventional music.
Old 30 December 2004, 12:59 AM
CoobyS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
music in 5.1,whats the point.
5.1 is designed for films to create movement and a "surround sound" experience.Isnt music recorded in stereo because you have two ears?
I think you need to go to a concert to learn the effect of being surrounded by the sound. Also do a little research on reverberation.
Old 30 December 2004, 09:21 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

I can re-master it with a false, but very real sounding digital 5.1 soundtrack for you. I will split the sounds into the best space for the track all the way through and repackage it to a DVD exactly like your original DVD.

for a special scoobynet discount price of a mere £1100
Old 30 December 2004, 09:37 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Live concerts sound brilliant in 5.1 if they've been recorded that way. I've got a Corrs Live DVD and a Metallica Live DVD which sound ace.

No 5.1 system to play them on at the moment though.
Old 30 December 2004, 10:13 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 16vmarc

I think what you;re getting at is whether the studio when releasing a DVD version of an older film can 'upgrade' the sound from e.g. stereo to 5:1. The answer is a very complex one, but in short yes they can improve the sound, but by how much depends on what they have audio source wise regarding the original film.

If they only have two track audio then they can create a 5:1 effect from it by splitting the sounds that should be in the surround/centre channels from the two track and creating 5:1. Of course this has varying degrees of success and will never be as good as a film originally mastered for surround unless they have the original audio recordings available in which case they may be able to get close. There is also the situation where some films were released at the cinema in surround, but domestically in 2 channel only with no encoding as domestic surround has really only caught on in the last 10-15 years.

The problem is of course whether any of this is economically viable. The Deer Hunter while a great film would probably not sell that many copies on the back of reworked audio unlike something like Star Wars where George Lucas has been tweaking the sound (and picture) on each and every domestic format release as he knows that improved audio will re-sell the films over and over.

Regards,

tiggers.
Old 30 December 2004, 10:14 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tiggers
I think what you;re getting at is whether the studio when releasing a DVD version of an older film can 'upgrade' the sound from e.g. stereo to 5:1. The answer is a very complex one, but in short yes they can improve the sound, but by how much depends on what they have audio source wise regarding the original film.

If they only have two track audio then they can create a 5:1 effect from it by splitting the sounds that should be in the surround/centre channels from the two track and creating 5:1. Of course this has varying degrees of success and will never be as good as a film originally mastered for surround unless they have the original audio recordings available in which case they may be able to get close. There is also the situation where some films were released at the cinema in surround, but domestically in 2 channel only with no encoding as domestic surround has really only caught on in the last 10-15 years.

The problem is of course whether any of this is economically viable. The Deer Hunter while a great film would probably not sell that many copies on the back of reworked audio unlike something like Star Wars where George Lucas has been tweaking the sound (and picture) on each and every domestic format release as he knows that improved audio will re-sell the films over and over.

Regards,

tiggers.
£1100
Old 30 December 2004, 10:16 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

On the subject of music in 5:1 I agree in 99.9% of cases this does not work as most of the time music is not encoded as such (and IMO shouldn't be), but some concerts and most notably the recent Jean Michel Jarre release - Aero are 5:1 encoded.

If anyone wants to test their surround system I can recommend Aero - it is a fantastic technical achievement - the video track is a bit weird though.

tiggers.
Old 30 December 2004, 10:16 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by angrynorth
£1100
Go on then I'll take two