Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

(Useless) Motorway Warning Gantries

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2004, 12:26 AM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (Useless) Motorway Warning Gantries

Does anyone know who is responsible for the messages displayed often being totally incorrect?

Was driving back down the M1 late tonight after picking it up at Chesterfield, and went past grantry after gantry displaying the message "Long delays after J20". I was considering leaving the motorway and threading my way across country, but there was nothing on the radio saying there were problems on the M1, and with the volume of traffic on the motorway I was sceptical that even closing 2 lanes would cause a delay....got to J20 and not a delay in sight....just more warning gantries telling me to expect long delays after the junction I'd already passed!

Gary.
Old 29 December 2004, 08:29 AM
TDT
Scooby Regular

The signals in England are set from the motorway control rooms by the police (or the Highways Agency in the West Midlands).

There is also the NTCC (National Traffic Control Centre) who are responsible for the strategic setting of the mahoosive MS3s that are placed a mile before and half a mile before major junctions. They are also responsible for setting stuff like "Make time for a break" during safety campaigns.

There is also a system called MIDAS (Motorway Incident Detection & Automatic Signalling). MIDAS is completely automatic and works through induction loops in the motorway surface. This basically sets "QUEUE AHEAD" and "50" when the average traffic speeds fall below a pre-determined threshold.

Because of the way the system sets it is possible to overlook signals that have been set when cancelling. However, the system starts yelling after an hour to check that the settings are right.

In situations like the one you have described it is quite possible the signals desk has simply forgotten to cancel the messages.
Old 29 December 2004, 10:23 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

Aye, we regularly get a 50 speed limit for fog near here, and it's still on in bright sunlight, 4 hours later.

I suppose it'll give the scamera vans some more revenue though...........

Alcazar
Old 29 December 2004, 10:43 AM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Am i right in thinking that they display advised limits and the temporary limits cannot be enforced?
Old 29 December 2004, 11:48 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Ive often thought the messages displayed have been totally pointless - they seem to make a point of using the signs just because theyve got them - but why bother distracting motorists to say 'think, dont drink and drive'

Originally Posted by avi
temporary limits cannot be enforced?
No they arent inforced unless theres a red circle around the speed, or show the de-restricted symbol.
Old 29 December 2004, 12:54 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
Ive often thought the messages displayed have been totally pointless - they seem to make a point of using the signs just because theyve got them - but why bother distracting motorists to say 'think, dont drink and drive'

No they arent inforced unless theres a red circle around the speed, or show the de-restricted symbol.
It's always interesting to see the number of drunk drivers parked up after they see that sign - that'll be none then!
Old 29 December 2004, 03:41 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Up here anyway, these signs seem to be a case of spending money for the sake of it.

We dont have a big motorway network near here, but these matrix signs are appearing on dual-carriageways etc, and invariably just say something usefull like "watch your speed" or "dont drink and drive" I really fail to see how the relevant authorities can justify spending so much money on such useless signs, then always cry when their budget runs out in winter due to the costs of gritting the roads.

Also, coming back from my parent house the other day, I saw a new sign had been erected at the point where I have to cross a dual-carriageway. Not an electronic sign, just a normal roadsign. How much do these signs cost? couple of hundred quid I`d bet, plus the cost of getting a crew there to put it up, It really wouldnt surprise me if the total cost was over a thousand pounds.
What pearl of wisdom does this sign offer?

"cross with care"

Money well spent
Old 29 December 2004, 05:32 PM
TDT
Scooby Regular

Most motorway signals only display advisory signals i.e 60 50 40 30 20. However some can show mandatory signals i.e lane closures.

They are not used "just because they've got them" either
Old 29 December 2004, 07:52 PM
AdiM
Scooby Regular

These sign really annoy me as well. They are a good idea but what's the point if they display incorrect information ? Here's a thread on I started on PistonHeads a couple of months ago :

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...10&h=&t=122297

Some of plod's replys are quite amazing ! Talking about defending the indefensible.

Adrian
Old 29 December 2004, 08:46 PM
yoza
BANNED

I was part of the team who designed those VMS signs, I designed the target boxes which hold the eletronics for the display.

The company was called the Rainford Group, and specialized in RFI shielded cabinets for the mobile phone industry.

So next time you drive under one thank your lucky stars I had nothing to do with the gantry design......

Just thought I would let you in on my claim to fame.
Old 30 December 2004, 12:50 AM
TDT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yoza
I was part of the team who designed those VMS signs
Aint COBS a wonderful thing!
Old 30 December 2004, 12:52 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 30 December 2004, 12:56 AM
TDT
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

If you want to be really sad/prepared (delete as appropriate) you can access all the signs being displayed by the MS3s here: http://www.highways.gov.uk/trafficinfo/

(Bear in mind this is fed off the live system so it can change from minute to minute)
Old 30 December 2004, 12:59 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by TDT
If you want to be really sad/prepared (delete as appropriate) you can access all the signs being displayed by the MS3s here: http://www.highways.gov.uk/trafficinfo/

(Bear in mind this is fed off the live system so it can change from minute to minute)
Would be far more interesting if this was an interactive website...

"Oi you - Blue BMW in the middle lane, pull over you pr1ck!"
Old 30 December 2004, 01:00 AM
TDT
Scooby Regular

If only....